Headlamp for outdoor cooking

thirstbuster

Newly Enlightened
Hi All

I've got a possibly unique request for a headlamp suggestion. I'm looking for probably LED, budget, and prefer either a USB chargeable or something that accepts common household batteries such as AA or AAA.

I do a lot of outdoor cooking (on a Yoder pellet smoker, charcoal and gas grills, sometimes open firepit). My existing cheapo light is bright enough, but the colour is the issue. I find that the yellowish light it gives doesn't give me an accurate display of the carmalization of my food. Any other pitmasters or outdoor cooks out here that have experimented with different colour wavelengths for this purpose?

Thanks much

WigglyTheGreat

Newly Enlightened
Although it doesn't use common batteries or usb rechargeable without the use of a seperate charger, the first headlamp that comes to mind is the zebralight h600fd III. The headlamp price is $89 which I consider a bargain for such a nice light. It opens up more options too when you go to 18650 batteries and it's really worth the initial battery and charger cost. The h600fd III is high cri and 5000k so it will render color well without being yellow or too warm. It's definitely worth considering. It has a whole lot of output and good runtimes. Much better than aa or aaa headlamps.

Trango

Newly Enlightened
Another option is the Nitecore NU20 high CRI, the NU30 also has a high CRI flood setting If I remember correctly, both are USB rechargable.