Headlamp for underground video light?

joanne

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I haven't been around here a lot recently but I've sent a few folks over here since you all know your stuff! As some of you might remember, I do a lot of abandoned mine exploring and now I would like to start shooting videos of my adventures. My initial video tests have been encouraging using the flood beam on my headlamp to provide light.

MU_041.jpg

Although my tests were just to see what is possible, two things became immediately obvious.
- I need more light output
- The light(s) need to be mounted to the camera because my headlamp doesn't throw shadows of the camera into the shots

So with that background, it brings me to the point of this thread, "What headlamps could I use to provide light for my underground videos?"

Here are some factors to consider:
- I have a good supply of 18650 batteries and can charge them in the field so that seems like the logical power choice
- I plan to use two lights mounted 12 to 15 inches apart so the beams will have overlap in the center. The camera will be mounted between the lights.
- Beam needs to be flood with little or no 'hot spot'
- Lights with the emitter 90 degrees to the battery housing (Zebra, Armytek, etc) would be easiest to mount to a camera rig
- Run time is less important that quality and brightness of the beam. I can change batteries between shots
- I may mount a third light with more throw directly inline with the camera lens for shots down long drifts or deep shafts

I'm not locked in on any specific brand. My initial research lead me to think that the Zebra H600f Mark II might be a good choice, but that's the reason I'm asking for recommendations here. I don't want to spend a lot of money only to find out that I purchased the wrong lamps. Not like I've ever done anything like that before.

Thanks in advance!

Joanne

Beaker

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight H602w sounds almost ideal for what you want. I have a couple that I use for (still) photography in caves: super-floody, compact, 18650-powered, ultra-reliable, reasonably warm color. IIUC, the H600f isn't quite as floody as the H602w.

joanne

Newly Enlightened
Zebralight H602w sounds almost ideal for what you want. I have a couple that I use for (still) photography in caves: super-floody, compact, 18650-powered, ultra-reliable, reasonably warm color. IIUC, the H600f isn't quite as floody as the H602w.

Thanks for the recommendation. I had the H602w on my list so your input helps.

Joanne

joanne

Newly Enlightened
have you considered trying to make something yourself?
I thought this was pretty cool:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcIdqdecKDI
How far away will you be needing to see things? Maybe you could use separate lights, 2 for flood, and 2 for throw.

That was a pretty neat build he did. Great for a studio or set, but might not be rugged enough for the places I drag my camera. That said, I've considered building my own lights but am concerned that it's a bit more than I want to tackle. Thanks for the link.

Joanne

joanne

Newly Enlightened

What a BEAST! Are you sure it won't melt the rock walls as I walk through? Although I was thinking about two separated lights to reduce shadows, this would help reduce the problem. Variable power would be ideal as we move from narrow drifts into large chambers. I would love to audition one underground with my camera before committing to a purchase. Anyone in Las Vegas have one?

Joanne