Headlamp? Why do I need a headlamp?

PaladinNO

Enlightened
While my headlamps have a more specific utility, freeing up an extra hand, they're not as convenient to carry around, and I can't see my way into wearing it everywhere.

My thought is to get a handful of these things, keep one in every vehicle and scattered about the house in areas that I hang out where a headlamp might be useful. It's easier to pre-position things where they're likely to be needed, and having a set lace for them eliminates having to wander around trying to remember where I left it.
I would say that is the whole point: you don't carry a headlamp with you everywhere, but you grab one when you know you will need one.
As you say, that makes them less convenient, and as I said earlier in this thread, the usability of a headlamp requires a bit more pre-planning.

Of course, if you have a headlamp together with a flashlight everywhere you might need one, that is the ultimate convenience (and the ultimate flex ^^). And sprinkling semi-cheap headlamps around where you are and where you will be sounds like a good choice, if you know there are specific tasks that will be made easier with a headlamp compared to a flashlight.

kilogulf59

Enlightened
Well Bob, to each his own. If you're happy with what you have and how you're doing things, far be it from me to tell you to change. As for myself, I wouldn't be without one. For me, it was like going from an outhouse, which worked perfectly well for many, many decades, to inside plumbing. They both got the job done, but for their specific applications there was no comparison.

In so far as handiness is concerned Bob, carry a flashlight, by all means, I do. While a flashlight is a universal tool a headlamp is not, it's task specific. As well, I don't think anyone walks around all day with a headlamp on their head waiting to use it, LOL.

Perhaps you're looking at it as a "this vs that" issue? It's not, Bob. A headlamp is an adjunct to, not a replacement for, a flashlight. When I stated "If I were forced to choose between a flashlight and headlamp, no contest, headlamp hands down every time", I meant it because I could make a headlamp work, as an only light, in my situation. For others, perhaps not so much. Anyway, I doubt I'll be faced with that choice, but you get my point.

Positioning is great if that works for you and you can afford it. I do that with a few things, like flashlights, which I've collected over the years (note, I'm not a light-junkie). One headlamp works for me, however if we traveled at all after dark, I'd get another headlamp and keep it in the truck.

Incidentally, you don't have to spend a ton of moolah on a headlamp, especially if it's main use is as an around the house work light. My buddy gets the cheapest lamps he can at the home center and always has a spare on hand. If they break he just gets another one. He says they're bright enough for his needs and he uses rechargeable cells so he doesn't care about run times. It's simply the convenience of having whatever area you're looking at lit up is what he's after. The same holds true for me, it's a tool just like a ratchet or a screwdriver.

Oh well, Bob, I've babbled on long enough. You'll do what's best for you in your reality. I'm just tossing my personal experience as a different perspective.

Later pal.

Last edited:

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would say that is the whole point: you don't carry a headlamp with you everywhere, but you grab one when you know you will need one.
oh contraire...

not my mug by the way... but, my method of always being prepared.

1709914706832.jpeg

1709914652743.jpeg

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
Be careful when ordering lights from Sofirn's website.
Make sure the word "Sofirn" is to the left of the model designation of any light you click on. If you only see a model designation, that's not a real Sofirn. It's a No-name worthless piece of junk that for some bizarre reason, Sofirn sells right alongside their inexpensive but good-quality lights. No clue why Sofirn does that. Learned that lesson the hard way.
Thanks for your post. On checking, it seems that my orders were for the no-name lamps.

They seem solidly built, though they haven't been used extensively at this point. The headbands may not be of high quality, but time will tell.

Without my ordering another set of "sofirn-labeled" headlamps, I;m not sure how I could establish a quality difference. Any further info you can impart would be of interest.

I just bought 2 armytek wizard c2 pro v3 headlamps for me and my wife. Any opinions/thoughts from current users?
I have two ArmyTek headlamps, both in the company's excellent neutral white color pallette. Color rendering is excellent. Mine are several years old, both yield about 350 max lumens, except for a "turbo burst" mode, which I hardly ever use. Runtimes are good. Headbands are comfortable for long wear without irritation. Diffuse, almost floody beam patterns. Mine have proven to be useful and reliable for around the house day-to-day tasks. Very useful during power outages, which are thankfully uncommon in the Metro Columbus Ohio area.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Thanks for your post. On checking, it seems that my orders were for the no-name lamps.

They seem solidly built, though they haven't been used extensively at this point. The headbands may not be of high quality, but time will tell.

Without my ordering another set of "sofirn-labeled" headlamps, I;m not sure how I could establish a quality difference. Any further info you can impart would be of interest.
I tested my No-Name headlamp from Sofirn. Even on Low it got way too hot, way too fast. We're talking literally seconds of constant-on. Did a video about it for my YouTube channel, then chucked it in the trash where it belonged. (Salvaged the battery though.) Seriously, I normally test products for several weeks or months at a time before making a video. My headlamp didn't even last an hour! Dangerous junk that I don't recommend to anyone.

Batuche

Newly Enlightened
For our purposes headlamps have been great for camping/hiking, perfect for setting up a tent in the dark, but introduce a problem when insects are in full bloom swarming around your face. Besides camping/biking/walking I find a headlamp indispensable for hobby/repair type work whether in the garage, work bench, or at the kitchen table where raw power isn't required, for which my favorite is the Zebralight H53Fw using an Eneloop Pro AA. I also second using rechargeable batteries first in a power out situations with plenty of Costco AA/AAAs for backup. We usually spot a half dozen Walmart Ozark Trail AAA lanterns around the house to supplement larger lanterns. Candles and a kerosene lamps work too.

Espresso_Junky

Newly Enlightened
> Headlamp? Why do I need a headlamp?

it sounds like maybe you don't?

but i sure do. if i could only have one light, it'd be a headlamp.

flashlight use cases:
  • when no headlamp is available (lol)
  • need to place a light source away from your head e.g.:
    • 90° from your head or some other angle for shadow contrast
    • viewing in a tight space like inside a crack or behind something
    • shining into a small hole while you view inside from another opening
  • when you don't want a headband mark left on your forehead or don't want to mess up your hair
  • stationary, ambient illumination (ceiling bounce)
  • mood lighting
  • artistic lighting effects
headlamp use cases:
  • physical activities like bike riding, hiking, skating, skateboarding, jogging
  • hands free lighting
  • task lighting
  • home improvement
  • automotive repair
  • nonstationary lighting needed for extended period of time
  • camping
PS: here's the best one – just buy this and be done with it:
Why do people go on and on with 'best' as your version of best wouldn't cut it for my use? 4000K is too warm, boring... high CRI is another hyped 'feature'... that style of headlamp can be uncomfortable and unbalanced compared to an actual quality design for the purpose. #Zebralight_SUX

AstroTurf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why do people go on and on with 'best' as your version of best wouldn't cut it for my use? 4000K is too warm, boring... high CRI is another hyped 'feature'... that style of headlamp can be uncomfortable and unbalanced compared to an actual quality design for the purpose. #Zebralight_SUX
oh do tell...

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've carried flashlights for decades, everywhere I go, and wouldn't be without one. Recently I fell into this site, and increased my flashlight consumption by a hundred percent or so.

Wandering thru the site, the Headlamp area manifested itself. I browsed a bit, while trying to find a reason to want a headlamp, instead of or in addition to a handheld flash.

Now, forty years ago I had one; the usual incandescent bulb, heavy box on the forehead, crappy beam spread with hot- and dead-spots. I needed it, in a dim, poorly-lit cockpit of the Volkswagon of the Air, a Cessna 172. No longer airborne, it resides unused and unloved, in a bag of antique flight gear.

But today? Why? So I started looking online for reasons. I could see some utility for looking around in dim, poorly lit areas around the house, or maybe reading in bed, though I prefer a chair or couch with a suitable lamp. I walk my dogs in the dead of night, but prefer no light at all, except for a flashlight to identify the various fauna that my dogs would like to chase, if they weren't attached to me. (Lots of deer, rabbits, a fox or two, cats and rats. Occasionally a raccoon). I prefer my presence to go unnoticed as much as possible.

Headlamps are not handy. You either have to pre-place them, or h=to have a specific reason to have them at hand; flashlights are far more suited for general carry, or so it seems to me.

All that said, I was fascinated by the deep red Zebra lamp. Started to look into it, and there it was, the Dreaded Multi-Feature List. Beyond simple operation:eek:n/off, three power levels, there is The Strobe. Why would anyone want a strobe? OK, bicycling at night, perhaps, though IMO bicycles are for the under-16 set, and they're generally better served by staying off the road in the dark. (OK, I'm not a bicycle fan. So sue me).

But wait! I'm far from done ranting! I'm still driven to blind fury by the Dreaded MFL, because Zebra has a huge wad of information regarding Programming multiple modes. They have Advanced Modes, Multiple Mode Groups, and probably even more ways to take a simple process and turn it into a maddening nightmare. Once again, WHY??? Just because you CAN, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

The hell of it is, I may well get the damned deep red headlamp, because, let's face it, it probably does what I'd want it to, despite its wanting to do So Much More, and doubtless really screw me up when I'd find myself in Most Dire Need of just some light.

If they only made this so I could have a white light/red light option, I'd be even more thrilled, and probably even more Modally Challenged. I dunno. Maybe I should just stick with my Surefires, and not venture into strange threads. I could probably wend my way to the End of Days without ever really needing a headlamp. But the thing is, I already have enough flashlights, and yet here I am.

So talk to me. Do I need one of these things, or should I merely apologise for my rant, and leave you all in peace?
Well i guess you do not need one, no reason to have it if it irritates you so much.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I feel sorry for you... actually no, I do not care, lol

SYZYGY

Enlightened
haha. that's the spirit, guys!
save some of that joy and goodwill for xmas :)

Heyden

Newly Enlightened
I never thought I needed a headlamp until I got one and now wouldn't want to be without it. It's used every night when I walk the dog on our rural property. Very handy if I need to be carrying other items.