Headlight vs flashlight

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I mostly use a headlight as I work both at home and at work with both hands. At work the environment is always changing and having light in areas that there isn't light and having a hand on a ladder sometimes with the other hand working.
I also sometimes garden after dark here as it has been way over 100 lately, 105 today and 107/8 tomorrow supposedly.

pancakeayaka

Newly Enlightened
I have not count. I carry a right angle flashlight with adjustable clip (SL Protac 90).
It works in most situation. Handheld/ clip onto hat or clothing/ set to different angle with the clip.

3_gun

Enlightened
Does a flashlight clipped to a cap count as a headlight? If yes my use ratio changes

bykfixer

Flashaholic
To me that's just using a flashlight in hands free mode like hanging it from a nail or magnetizing to a metal object. Same with tooth hold, which is also using part of your head.

stuart

Newly Enlightened
Flashlight for the last 20 years until I re-discovered that headlamps are great. Now use a $20 Petzl Tikkina for task around the house. Or a Fenix E01 in my mouth. No more breaking Surefire clips with on a hat brim or worrying about getting dirt on a Malkoff.

Away from home always flashlight, never headlamp.

bridgman

Enlightened
I have not count. I carry a right angle flashlight with adjustable clip (SL Protac 90).
It works in most situation. Handheld/ clip onto hat or clothing/ set to different angle with the clip.
Does a flashlight clipped to a cap count as a headlight? If yes my use ratio changes
Oh no... we're going to need guidelines :unsure:

My first thought would be that a flashlight clipped to a hat/cap should be counted as a headlight. A right angle flashlight clipped to clothing is almost different enough to justify a third category.

Kitchen Panda

Enlightened
If I have a task where I need a light, I will dig up the headlamp for it. But I always have a keychain light in my pocket for all those times I didn't plan on bringing a light. So, yes, the flashlight gets used more often, but when I need a work light it's a headlamp.

For example, I just had to patch up our washing machine. I tilted it up to look underneath, and even used the magnet base on my EDC light to illuminate the area...but I didn't get any further than removing one screw before I went upstairs to get the headlamp out of its drawer.

I think it was on this very forum I read that if you want to find something, you use a flashlight. If you want to do something with it when you've found it, you need a headlamp.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Whenever I see this thread popping up I always imagine someone taping a flashlight to their car until I realize they mean headlamp.
we have magnets on headlamps instead of tape, that way the super strong magnet will glue you to the car when you get too close.

Poppy

Flashaholic
We have a drop ceiling on our bathroom, with four 3' florescent lights. Three of them aren't working, although only one is necessary, but my daughter said it is too dark.

Today, we pulled down the opaque light diffusers, to clean them and to examine the lights for issues. I walked to the shed to get my electrical test stuff, and electrical plyers. When I came back, my grandson inadvertently locked me out of the house. Hmmm.... great start!

So... I see that none of the connections are in electrical boxes, a real DIY job. Oh boy. I turned off the light and power to the lights, and wanted to peel back the electrical tape that was wrapped around the wire nuts. I couldn't make out where the tape ended, so I went to get a headlamp. When I returned my daughter had already ceiling bounced my TN30 (a soda can triple light) on a nearby shelf, with it turned on waiting for my return.

I guess Poppy taught her right! :)

dmenezes

Newly Enlightened
Why not a light that can do both? I EDC a Manker E03H II and use it as a on-hands flashlight until I need hands-free, then I pull its very light & compact headband from my cargo pants side pocket and up my head it goes. Perfect combo, it's supplying 100% of my needs...

Last edited:

Poppy

Flashaholic
I like manker lights, and I am glad that you are happy with your choice.

While your Manker is a small light, it is too big for me to EDC. Mine is the little CooYoo Quantum, attached to my keys.

1659906635734.png

Shamefully, more and more I am using the light on my iPhone. I know... hang head in shame.

I am surrounded by flashlights at home and in my car. Not so at the office, but there I am never more than 50 feet from an exit.

Lights for me are tools, and I grab the most convenient one (ie the nearest one), or I walk a few steps to get the one that is best for the job at hand. Just as I don't EDC a hammer, but I go get one from the tool box, when I need one. Sometimes it is a big one, sometimes a small one. Sometimes, I need two! :)

Today the headlamp was the Sofirn D25L

1659907007172.png

And the flashlight that filled the room with light, The Thunite TN30 with 3 XML LEDs.

1659907308602.png

Bitter

Newly Enlightened
I use TWO headlights...every time I drive at night.

Flashlight, I wear a hat most of the time at work and head light + hat doesn't work very well for me. I use wands and pucks with magnets as well as a hand held flashlight.

dmenezes

Newly Enlightened
I like manker lights, and I am glad that you are happy with your choice.

While your Manker is a small light, it is too big for me to EDC. Mine is the little CooYoo Quantum, attached to my keys.

View attachment 30624

Shamefully, more and more I am using the light on my iPhone. I know... hang head in shame.

I am surrounded by flashlights at home and in my car. Not so at the office, but there I am never more than 50 feet from an exit.

Lights for me are tools, and I grab the most convenient one (ie the nearest one), or I walk a few steps to get the one that is best for the job at hand. Just as I don't EDC a hammer, but I go get one from the tool box, when I need one. Sometimes it is a big one, sometimes a small one. Sometimes, I need two! :)

Today the headlamp was the Sofirn D25L

View attachment 30625

And the flashlight that filled the room with light, The Thunite TN30 with 3 XML LEDs.

View attachment 30626

Great report, thanks!

Me, I'm more of an "always prepared" kinda guy and so I tend to carry with me most of what I'd need, specially for emergencies.

I used to EDC a iTP A3 EOS, the Manker E03HII is barely a centimeter longer and less than half that wider... despite eating an AA instead of a AAA. So it fitted in the exact same spot on my belt pouch but offering much more lumens and longer runtimes.

Agreed re: more appropriate tools are better... but not when they're far away when you really need them. That's why I carry a Micra on my keychain and a Supertool 300 in my backpack. If I'm near my 'proper tools' toolbox then I use them, but if I'm hiking in the middle of nowhere the multi-tools can usually do the job well enough to get me out of the woods.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Great report, thanks!

Me, I'm more of an "always prepared" kinda guy and so I tend to carry with me most of what I'd need, specially for emergencies.
I like the "always prepared" mindset.

During the winter months, I am sure to put a long handled shovel in the trunk, with a length or two of 1/2 inch line. I have a tool box, some emergency blankets, a Sleeping bag, duct tape, an emergency commode, big black garbage bags, and more.

A few years ago, before covid, a few of us were sitting around in the office chatting. Somehow, it came up that someone was pulled over, and when they popped the trunk, there was a shovel, rope and duct tape. Wouldn't you think that is a little suspicious?

I laughed, and said... I have all that and more!

I was on an outing with my son, and he needed a big black garbage bag. His girl-friend said... ask your dad, I'll bet that he has one! LOL... she was right.

A few years back I was on the first winter camping trip with my grandson and the scouts. The men of the troop were very much set on... "This is a Scout run troop" "Sometimes they have to fail in order to learn"

I was new to the troop, so I didn't know exactly what the rules were.

The boys were trying to build a fire, but there was 10 inches of snow on the ground. They were supposed to learn that there is DRY wood on the inside of a log. Oh yeah they were struggling.

In the trunk of my car I had a
1659999686616.png

As I approached the scout master, to tell him, and offer it. I heard him say to another father/leader... "I see that Poppy has a duraflame in his trunk."

With that and some wet wood, they got a good smokey boy scout fire going. They told their stories, and ran their skits, and life was good once again in the park.

dmenezes

Newly Enlightened
I like the "always prepared" mindset.

During the winter months, I am sure to put a long handled shovel in the trunk, with a length or two of 1/2 inch line. I have a tool box, some emergency blankets, a Sleeping bag, duct tape, an emergency commode, big black garbage bags, and more.

A few years ago, before covid, a few of us were sitting around in the office chatting. Somehow, it came up that someone was pulled over, and when they popped the trunk, there was a shovel, rope and duct tape. Wouldn't you think that is a little suspicious?

I laughed, and said... I have all that and more!

I was on an outing with my son, and he needed a big black garbage bag. His girl-friend said... ask your dad, I'll bet that he has one! LOL... she was right.

A few years back I was on the first winter camping trip with my grandson and the scouts. The men of the troop were very much set on... "This is a Scout run troop" "Sometimes they have to fail in order to learn"

I was new to the troop, so I didn't know exactly what the rules were.

The boys were trying to build a fire, but there was 10 inches of snow on the ground. They were supposed to learn that there is DRY wood on the inside of a log. Oh yeah they were struggling.

In the trunk of my car I had a
View attachment 30677

As I approached the scout master, to tell him, and offer it. I heard him say to another father/leader... "I see that Poppy has a duraflame in his trunk."

With that and some wet wood, they got a good smokey boy scout fire going. They told their stories, and ran their skits, and life was good once again in the park.
Great story again, Poppy! Thanks for sharing it.

I've never been a boy scout, guess I'm more of a loner as I enjoy the kind of activities they undertake bit I'd rather do them by myself

Re: starting a fire, it's one of the 10 essentials I always carry, so I have accelerant, tinder and security matches and a lighter in my backpack.

Guess Police would find it funny were they to frisk me someday... to say nothing of the shovel I carry right by the passenger seat of my pickup truck, as it has no trunk... :)