Heads up -- 9V Pak-Lite now has a warm white option...

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the report. And thanks for the idea of abrading the dome for a more even beam profile. Do you have one of the older ones? Can you make a rough comparison as to output (both modes) and anything else that comes to mind?

Had mine for a couple of days now. The output is certainly warmer than the original version, but I'm not sure about 3500 warm. It is, however, easier on the eyes! I used sandpaper to make the output of the light much more even (and better visually IMO). As it comes, there was a small bit of purple in the beam, but the sandpaper seemed to take care of this. To my night adapted eyes, it is much better now. They make a perfect nightstand light.

I am happy with my purchase. They will be used as an every night light as opposed to being thrown in some zombie bugout bag. :)

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the report. And thanks for the idea of abrading the dome for a more even beam profile. Do you have one of the older ones? Can you make a rough comparison as to output (both modes) and anything else that comes to mind?

I don't have the original PakLite anymore...I simply didn't like the white/purple output. As such, I cannot make a comparison from memory that would be anywhere near accurate. If I can figure out where to host photos, I can take a photo of the two new lights to show the output - one with the sanding and one without.

Besides that, there is really nothing else to say about these lights. They are very simple and IMO, not really meant to be put in a bugout bag to sit and wait for the apocalypse. One simply needs to only look at the reason why this light was created in the first place to see the multitude of daily uses for it. While it may be a light that can be stored away for some light in a disaster situation, I think this is doing the light a disservice because there are so many uses for this light that they are seriously too numerous to list.

But hey, if someone wants to lug around a flashlight and a solar panel array to power an 18650 light on moonlight mode all through the zombie apocalypse, who am I to tell them they are nuts?!?! :tinfoil:

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today, and like it. It is a big improvement over the old blue-purple tint.

Relative output? To the bare eye, about the same. (So, my guess is that it's within 25% by actual measurements).

The cold blue center of the old emitters is visibly brighter than the warmer, more diffuse hot-spot of the new ones. But the total output seems pretty even.

This also makes it clear how full of rings and artefacts the old emitters are. The new one has a much smoother, more even hotspot.

Color quality? Well, you tint snobs out there are going to say that it is no Nichia. Or Yuji, for that matter.

But it is *much* much better than the old blue ones.

So: better color, fewer artefacts, roughly same output, perhaps slightly less throw.

On the whole, I think it is a solid improvement.

Sorry--I cannot provide photos.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine today, and like it. It is a big improvement over the old blue-purple tint.

Relative output? To the bare eye, about the same. (So, my guess is that it's within 25% by actual measurements).

The cold blue center of the old emitters is visibly brighter than the warmer, more diffuse hot-spot of the new ones. But the total output seems pretty even.

This also makes it clear how full of rings and artefacts the old emitters are. The new one has a much smoother, more even hotspot.

Color quality? Well, you tint snobs out there are going to say that it is no Nichia. Or Yuji, for that matter.

But it is *much* much better than the old blue ones.

So: better color, fewer artefacts, roughly same output, perhaps slightly less throw.

On the whole, I think it is a solid improvement.

Sorry--I cannot provide photos.

Received my lights today and I would concur with your observations.Output seems pretty comparable with the cool whites.I actually expected it to be noticeably less but was pleasantly surprised. I have always considered the Pak-lite as a great emergency light but the angry blue of the "white" models was always a bit of a put off. That problem is solved with the 4K models AFAIAC. I don't know if the tint is going to please the HCRI folks but for this "neutral" guy it is great! Assuming run time is similar to the cool white (I expect it will be) this a must have light for emergency/BOB/hiking and camping IMHO.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Received my lights today and I would concur with your observations....

Assuming run time is similar to the cool white (I expect it will be)....

Excellent! If you and me both say it, then it *must* be true.

About run-time: I would be *very* surprised if the company redid the power circuit. They seem to have very little interest in innovating their product--they have a good product and a comfortable niche, and they are sticking with it. So my guess is that the power circuit is feeding the same amps to the emitters. Now, different emitters might draw different amounts, given peculiarities of their vF and other things I don't understand. But setting aside those differences, if the circuit is designed to feed current for 800 hours from a full battery, then that is what it will do.

And looky here: the circuit-board on the brand-new Pak-Lite 4k is dated "2004." So if they updated anything other than the emitters, they did not update anything that required a new circuit-trace.

We will have to do genuine run-time tests at some time, but for the meanwhile I feel pretty confident that the run-times will be the same.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
...And looky here: the circuit-board on the brand-new Pak-Lite 4k is dated "2004." So if they updated anything other than the emitters, they did not update anything that required a new circuit-trace.

Interesting. The underside of circuit boards on my two new 4K lights both say:

PAKLITE.NET
©️2015
F
US PAT

bigfoot

Enlightened
The Pak-Lite 4K showed up here today as well. Totally agree with the previous comments, and will try to get some photos up shortly. Using a free light meter app tied to the smartphone's camera, it shows the Pak-Lite 4K color temperature as around 4100K. However, take those numbers with a grain of salt, as that's totally and completely unscientific on my part -- just shining the light on a white piece of paper in a dark room. For comparison's sake, the old model Pak-Lite shows a color temperature of around 5700K using the same "testing" setup. And I guess I got lucky in the past, as my old model didn't have a very ringy beam, while the new 4K version here seems a bit more ringy. Either way, not gonna be white wall hunting with these lights, they are made to be used.

:thumbsup: Overall, I think this new light is definitely a winner, and have already swapped out the alkaline cell for an Energizer lithium battery. Pretty hard to beat 1,200 hours on low mode! Now the most difficult question... deciding where this Pak-Lite 4K going to live -- nightstand, EDC bag, survival kit, glove box, etc.

bigfoot

Enlightened
Just a quick grab shot of the front of the Pak-Lite 4K and packaging...

38392949774_eec6fddcb6_o.jpg

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
In any case--when you can get AAAA cells out of a 9v, that's great. But when you cannot, you can still get light out of them, with a Pak-Lite!

I get that these Paklites can be a fun gadget. I don't see how they are practical, though. A 1xAA light on moonlight will produce light for weeks. An 18650 light for months. And they're far more practical.

Frankly, when the apocalypse comes, if I get a few days out of my lights, that will be enough. After that time, my neighbors will show up to shoot me and likely eat me.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
Frankly, when the apocalypse comes, if I get a few days out of my lights, that will be enough. After that time, my neighbors will show up to shoot me and likely eat me.

Granted. But I would not mind being eaten by my neighbors.

What I would mind is if they were eating me without the proper *mood* lighting. That's why the warm white is so important!

Harry999

Enlightened
I had two of the warm pak lites arrive before Christmas. I use one regularly as a night light and the other one is in my waist pack to use as an emergency light if required.

I really like the tint and have ordered three more. Plan on attaching two to a pair of 6AA battery boxes as dedicated nightlights with hopefully a very, very long runtime.

Definitely have a place in my list of lights I can't do without.

carrot

Flashaholic
In light of all the excitement of the new 4K Pak-Lites I ended up ordering a pair. The warm white 5mm LEDs are wonderful with a beautiful golden hue reminiscent of the early 219s we were all crazy about, and only a hint of the angry blue we remember from those Nichia BS and CS LEDs.

Pak Lites were somewhat unremarkable back when 5mm lights proliferated but now that they are some of the only ones left, well, what's old is new again. I already like them much more than the poorly made clones.

In a day where you can easily get a barn burner the size of your thumb there is something to be said for going nice and simple, a light whose runtimes measure in the dozens and hundreds of hours. These will make for great lights around the house and ideal tent lights for camping as well.