Hella 4000 on a 2002 Highlander

Qship1996

Enlightened
Getting the itch for a great set of driving lights and see Amazon has the Hella 4000 for around a hundred bucks each,and am tempted....2 concerns I have is where/how to mount these giants and is there an easy way to wire these so they come on/off with the high beams considering the car uses the high beams as drl and really do not want to have to reconfigure those if possible.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Hmm... My habit has been to use a double throw, center off switch, set up "ON/OFF/AUTO" with "auto" being picked up by high beam if it's a driving light, and low beam if it's a fog. The manual "on" function is for aiming or checking a replaced bulb, etc. But the "off" part will do the trick in your case. Do not switch the driving light to "auto" until it really is night and you really are out on that lonely rural highway where you need to see the deer and elk WAAAAY down the road. Just do not enable the driving lights during daytime.

There may be some wiring you can catch to get around the DRL thing (I don't have a diagram here), or maybe even a cute voltage sensitive relay, but why bother. K.I.S.S.

Sadden

Enlightened
Hmm... My habit has been to use a double throw, center off switch, set up "ON/OFF/AUTO" with "auto" being picked up by high beam if it's a driving light, and low beam if it's a fog. The manual "on" function is for aiming or checking a replaced bulb, etc. But the "off" part will do the trick in your case. Do not switch the driving light to "auto" until it really is night and you really are out on that lonely rural highway where you need to see the deer and elk WAAAAY down the road. Just do not enable the driving lights during daytime.

There may be some wiring you can catch to get around the DRL thing (I don't have a diagram here), or maybe even a cute voltage sensitive relay, but why bother. K.I.S.S.

If im going to the trouble to put a driving light on a vehicle i do a relay harness on the highs simeltaneously. I use the the oem signal wire from the highbeams to run power to the switch for the driving lights, as well as the signals for highbeam relays.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would something like this work well for mounting? How secure are license plate mountings? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AUCL56U/?tag=cpf0b6-20
I don't know what the highlander's bumper is like, but i had a bar like that on my Hyundai Excel.
had a little set of square Hella Comets on it, and there was a bit of movement, the beams would move and vibrate on rough roads (it was ok on smooth roads though)

there is a bloke on a Forester group i am part of, who built the bumper reinforcement out, and the rego plate and light mount bolt through the bumper and into the extension - his lamps are rock solid.

the Hella 4000 is a nice big beefy lamp, it deserves a proper bracket to hold it (if your licence plate is just bolted to the plastic bumper, it won't work for you, you may even damage the bumper)

eggsalad

Enlightened
if you want truly solid mounting, plenty of suppliers sell bull bars for 2002 Highlander. I'm guessing some/most/all have provisions for mounting lights.

Qship1996

Enlightened
Guess I got to crawl under there and see if the license plate mounts are just to the plastic bumper,or if they extend into something more substantial.Really not looking to add huge brush bars or other large objects{other than the lights themselves,lol} to the front end. Other possibility is there are 2 openings in bumper that a factory supplied eyebolt screws into to create towhooks,these for sure must be tied into the frame,maybe I could create small L brackets and bolt in these locations?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guess I got to crawl under there and see if the license plate mounts are just to the plastic bumper,or if they extend into something more substantial.Really not looking to add huge brush bars or other large objects{other than the lights themselves,lol} to the front end. Other possibility is there are 2 openings in bumper that a factory supplied eyebolt screws into to create towhooks,these for sure must be tied into the frame,maybe I could create small L brackets and bolt in these locations?

the towhooks bolts would be tied into the frame - it should be pretty easy to build a bar that bolts into them, and is easily removed when you dont need the lights.

many of the local rally cars do something similar.

dleeallen

Newly Enlightened
I really liked my 4000s in the euro driving pattern. Remember they are heavy and very deep. Takes a lot of room to mount them!

Qship1996

Enlightened
Thanks- I am getting discouraged due to not finding a simple,discreet way to mount these.I miss the old days of real heavy chrome bumpers!

dleeallen

Newly Enlightened
They were too deep to fit on my Ram without a light bar in front of the bumper. Barely fit then!