Hella XL beam pattern

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
Hi, there is a guy selling a NOS set of Hella XL lamps locally. I have been searching the web in general and this site in particular for information on them, but have been unable to find much. Does anybody know if the beam pattern US DOT style lowbeam or ECE style with the cutoff? Thanks in advance. :)

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
It's very much like the low beam pattern from a traditional US-spec low beam. There is no cutoff.

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
Hmm... That's disappointing. Any chance they've got decent width?

I'm running E-code conversion housings in place of sealed beam headlight,s and while I absolutely love the low beam pattern, the highbeam pattern lacks width closer to the car. I'm hoping to find something to use as a wider fill light as I often don't use the highbeams in situations that I might ordinarily.

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
One man, an Optometrist in Vancouver, Washington, gives a brief impression of Hella XL low beams and Hella 530 driving here:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!topic/sci.engr.lighting/lng6IBTXhFU

It's just as Sheinwerfermann described, though the owner is happy with the improvement.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately all those lights have to do to make him happy is be better than his OEM headlights. Not hard to do with a Chrysler minivan.

I'm trying to add a partial lowbeam type effect into my highbeams, which is an unusual thing to be doing I think. The highbeams themselves are definitely adequate over distance, they simply leave me feeling vulnerable to things like animals coming from the side of the road. I had a scare with a bear this summer in the mountains that could have been more easily avoided if I'd had E-code lowbeam style width. I should also note that I have relays and an upgraded alternator, and that I have dabbled in overwattage bulbs. I should also point out that I am a theatre lighting technician by trade, so I have a well developed understanding of the properties of lighting.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
What size/shape are your E-code conversions, which ones (what brand) are they, and what kind of vehicle are they on? There might be an easier solution to what you're trying to do.

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
What size/shape are your E-code conversions, which ones (what brand) are they, and what kind of vehicle are they on? There might be an easier solution to what you're trying to do.

They're H6054 200mm conversion housings on a Volkswagen Fox. Currently the one on the drivers side is a Hella E-code and the passenger side one is a Bosch E-code that also has DOT certification. Normally I run the Bosch ones but I have this single Hella I borrowed in as a test. The Hella is a little bit smoother with a sharper cutoff, so at some point I'll likely purchase a pair.

Current Hella/Bosch setup with 60/55 Osram bulbs.

Lowbeams
headlighttest-6252.jpg

Highbeams
headlighttest-6253.jpg

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
The Hella 6054-sized unit is quite inefficient and has an irritating focus issue: too much vertical distance between the low and high beam hot spots. You have to choose whether you want the low beams or the high beams aimed optimally, you can't have both. Also, contrary to popular mythology, "sharper cutoff" does not mean "better headlamp".

The Cibie is the best easily-available current-production H4 lamp in this size by a fairly large margin. The Bosch is the second best. Hella is pretty distant from there, and then after that come all the rest.

(the Marchal E-code was amazingly good; if you can find a pair, grab them. The Koito is quite an excellent lamp, but difficult to get.)

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Hmmm.... I have 6054 sized Hellas in my 1986 F250 right now. They certainly are nothing remarkable. If I drove it more I'd be more excited about fixing the lights, but it's down the list after the other vehicles. I wonder, though, if that greater vertical spread between high and low might be a plus on trucks where the lights are further above the ground. Also, I drive the F250 when I need to haul a load, and sometimes that alters the aim a bit. I know, tolerable low beams with a load means aimed really a bit too low when empty. I really wish I could adjust them from the cab. I'd even settle for the lever next to the outboard headlamp that I saw on a 1977 Alfetta sedan (1978 had self-leveling suspension).

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
Or, VW Fox, you could get the 9th item down from the top on this page (no idea who makes them or how good they are)

You really are quite thorough aren't you. :) Unfortunately the Brazilian market Voyage headlights require a different grille that is no longer available. A good friend of mine has a set of those on his wagon, but I have just realized that I have never been in it at night so I don't know what the beam pattern is like.

RdC-6331.jpg

The vertical spread between low and high beams is definitely the problem for the Hella and for the Bosch. I may just have to hit up Daniel Stern for some Cibie's. I've been tempted before but without knowing for sure that they're better it's hard to justify the money. All of my previous housings (the Bosches attract rocks) were bought second hand.

I wonder, though, if that greater vertical spread between high and low might be a plus on trucks where the lights are further above the ground.

I think that is probably the case as the low beams would be aimed down more, bringing the highbeams down to a reasonable level.

Lightdoctor

Enlightened
Whatever housings you choose, go with Osram Rallye Hyper 70/65W +50 H4's...best H4 for lumen output.

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
Whatever housings you choose, go with Osram Rallye Hyper 70/65W +50 H4's...best H4 for lumen output.

That recommendation seems to be universal. :)

Also, contrary to popular mythology, "sharper cutoff" does not mean "better headlamp".

No but it does mean that the lamp is optimally positioned within the reflector, which is half the battle.

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
No, it doesn't.

Would you care to elaborate? When equipping an ellipsoidal theatre fixture with a new lamp we optimize the beam by tweaking the position of the lamp within the reflector until it is sharp all the way around the beam. Now in this case the goal is a circular beam, but if the positioning of the lamp is not optimized in this way the performance of the fixture can suffer greatly.

Last edited:

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Proper positioning of the lamp within the optic is a given with a quality bulb in a quality lamp. Cutoff gradient (sharpness) is a function of the optical design. There is a very wide range of sharpness that visually appears "sharp" especially to North American eyes. Within that range, It is not the case that a sharper cutoff necessarily makes for a beam pattern that is better in any real sense. And yes, there is definitely such a thing as too sharp a cutoff. The cutoff gradient range produced by an H4 bulb in a parabolic reflector is just about optimal in terms of objective safety performance, even though much higher gradient (sharper cutoff) is possible with projector lamps.

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
Okay, that makes sense. I neglected to take into account that the beam on an ellipsoidal theatre fixture is adjustable from hard to soft. We optimize at the sharpest setting but usually don't use them that way.

Hamilton Felix

Enlightened
Scheinwerfermann, you make an interesting point. I've always looked for a really sharp cutoff in low beams. I guess that makes the lamp easier to aim against a measured height on a wall. And it's important to me that I don't have upward glare, both because of oncoming vehicles and for use in fog and snow. But if that beam when shone on a wall simply faded to nothing instead of cutting off sharply, it would still be useful. I do realize that a bit of upward light has to come from my low beams, enough for the other drivers to see them and for me to see roadside signs and reflectors. But I'm a rural driver and not overly concerned about high level signs.

Lately, after hearing some of the comments here, I've started paying more attention to even distribution of light. As I sort through my things and put them away in the shop, I can't resist lighting up some of the lights I've had for years. I note that some low beams have a sharp cutoff but less than ideal distribution below that. Others, like the old Cibie H1 you mentioned, have a sharp cutoff, relative darkness above it, but then stray light at high angle above the beam. This is still going to bother me in fog.

I finally ran across my second 7701 sealed beam and put them both in the same place. Some years ago, I bought the lamps because I wanted the Dietz housings, so the bulbs sit on the shelf. I note this was an auxiliary low beam; they made a big deal about the "dual" reflector and you can see a horizontal line across it. But this is not by any means a "sharp cutoff" beam. Yet was apparently an acceptable auxiliary low beam in its time.

I'll start looking at low beams with a more critical eye. :duh2:

bluetoes591

Newly Enlightened
Put the other Bosch housing back in and re-aimed my headlamps on Saturday. Definitely a slight improvement in the highbeam performance. Still going to purchase some Cibie's as soon as I can though.