Hello? FourSevens Are You Out There?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
...high does everything within all practical reason which turbo/max can but at much less battery use.

I said the same thing, sequentially, until I ended up just using moonlight and low 90% of the time :). I like using my night vision as much as possible, so I can really only bear to use max (or high) on momentary basis. Did I mention that I hate charging and changing batteries?

...I will take reppans at his word it's a good gear item..

Not sure I'd take my word for it - my preferences seem so different than most other flashaholics around here. That's why I tried to describe the UI in detail - so people can imagine it in use, and see if it will work for them.

Mr_Light

Enlightened
Do we know that "High Mode" is gone for good? The jump from 28 to 336 lumens seems too abrupt for me.
I must admit it will take a lot to displace my original Titanium Quark!

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Do we know that "High Mode" is gone for good? The jump from 28 to 336 lumens seems too abrupt for me.

To my knowledge, Foursevens has not commented on the removal of High mode since they shared the preliminary specs here. However, given that the official specs (without High) have been up on the website for a while, they seem unlikely to change at this point.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Not sure I'd take my word for it - my preferences seem so different than most other flashaholics around here. That's why I tried to describe the UI in detail - so people can imagine it in use, and see if it will work for them.

So long as it works in terms of reliability that's what is important IMHO. Something can be good but not for everyone which is ok. For example I can think of a certain 1XAAA flashlight which won't be finding a home in my pack anytime soon.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you again reppans... When you find time, could you let us know what happens to Max when running on 1xAA NIMh?

Don't know if you own any other Quarks, but it's typical behavior - all lower modes regulate at spec, runtime of course is reduced, and Max will be slightly better than half spec - say in the 180-190 lm range (or ~230-250 ZebraBuilt lumens).

So long as it works in terms of reliability that's what is important IMHO. Something can be good but not for everyone which is ok. For example I can think of a certain 1XAAA flashlight which won't be finding a home in my pack anytime soon.

I understand your pre-order concerns, and I usually feel the same way too, but this is the same basic Quark - just with a tweaked UI. Anyways, I always consider 47 purchases as exceptionally low risk with their stellar guarantee and customer service.

ronniepudding

Enlightened
Don't know if you own any other Quarks, but it's typical behavior - all lower modes regulate at spec, runtime of course is reduced, and Max will be slightly better than half spec - say in the 180-190 lm range (or ~230-250 ZebraBuilt lumens).

There's that high mode we were looking for ;)

Thanks for confirming that 1xAA behavior is as expected.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must admit it will take a lot to displace my original Titanium Quark!

Yes, high is my most often-used mode on my 2xAA Quarks. Why would they remove it?!?!!! The mode spacing on the old Quarks was perfect, but now the jump between medium and turbo is ridiculous.

If you have to pay $10 extra to get the modes you want, you'd think they'd still offer the "high" mode! What is up with 4sevens design lately? Did someone new take over last year?

I'm pretty sure Surefire can't patent a "high" mode, so what was the reason for removing it?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quick Update: I'm aware of another multi-mode sample where Mode 1 DOES memorize at the START of the cycling, and so the following statements MAY NOT apply. I have no idea if my sample is an anomaly, or specific to programming with moonlight set as mode 1. YMMV, of course.

Another interesting twist, is that mode 1 CANNOT be memorized from the START of the cycling sequence -I have to cycle through all modes and back to mode 1 to memorize moonlight. I REALLY like this feature since, 1) a simple studder on switch can change your mode memory on other lights - this allows users one "error press" without losing your memory mode (Note: two error presses will allow mode 2 to lock in). I'm not a tactical user, but I can see how this will benefit the flash-n-dash folks.... it's almost as if you need a conscious effort (or a double press error) to change the memory mode. And 2) the light can act as a pure two mode light between mode 1 and any other mode in memory - you simply [eg, reverse clicky] short half-press for mode 1, and long half-press for the previously memorized mode, to alternate between them. So choose mode 1 wisely - in hindsight, a low, med, max, moonlight programming might work better for me since low pairs well with the other three...

2) using Low will not alter the memorized mode unless you cycle through all the other modes first..

pomah

Newly Enlightened
Preflash was fixed on the last generation of quarks, my qt2l-x burst has no pre-flash

pomah

Newly Enlightened
That's great to hear. I will be waiting until they offer a single AA cell option before I order one.

I don't think they will, if you read the description on the website of the new clicks it says that if you need a one cell option buy it from the accessories.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought one of the Surefire patents that 4sevens had to stop using was interchangeable battery tubes, for using the flashlights with different battery configurations. Maybe that's why you can't get it in a 1xAA size? They might have to manufacture it without the ability to swap tubes? Well, that was my understanding of the lawsuit, but perhaps I'm wrong.

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought one of the Surefire patents that 4sevens had to stop using was interchangeable battery tubes, for using the flashlights with different battery configurations. Maybe that's why you can't get it in a 1xAA size? They might have to manufacture it without the ability to swap tubes? Well, that was my understanding of the lawsuit, but perhaps I'm wrong.
If so that'sccomplete BS that they received a patent for that. I'm all for IP protection, but it currently goes way too far. I think it needs to be shortened to 3-5 years for electronic hardware and software, and most patents are so generic they shouldn't be awarded in the first place.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

keeperofdakeys

Newly Enlightened
New Quark models will work with previous Quarks. You will be able to purchase single cell bodies to make the light which you want.

Thanks
Reid

Foursevens have officially confirmed that there will be single cell bodies, from above quote.

They also said there would be some kind of official announcement about new Quarks before the summer solstice, but I haven't seen anything like that yet...