Hello!/ Perfect EDC light challenge!!

Ragnarnar

Newly Enlightened
What exactly is the switch you want? A two step tail switch, full press for max and half press for mode change?

No sir,
What I had in mind was a switch I can bring on at low with a half press, but a full press results in full power from the light.

I've since learned its referred to as a surefire tactical switch. Creep around the side of the house on low power, then smash the button and blind the raccoons going through my trash, kinda thing.

Ragnarnar

Newly Enlightened
It involves some outside the box thinking, but here's an option.

A Surefire LX2 paired with a Malkoff E2/Scout, E2 Super/Scout, E2T/Scout, or E2 Super Throw/Scout gives an operation like what is desired. Instead of low and high modes, what's delivered are more like medium and high modes.

A light press on the switch delivers momentary "medium" and mashing on the switch delivers momentary high. Tightening the tailcap activates constant medium, and tightening the tailcap further activates constant high.

The more voltage that he head receives, the brighter the medium mode. I find a 16650 to provide a better medium output than two CR123s, but both options are safe.

It's not exactly an inexpensive package, but the LX2 head can likely be sold to recoup some of the cost.

I personally consider the clip for the HDS Rotary to be too far from ideal for it to be worth serious consideration....to me. A 325 lumen Clicky with a Prometheus clip is close, but I've had issues with the HDS switch being confused if I press it a bit too long while attempting to turn it off, and it just switches (or stays) on Preset A instead of turning off. Not good if you really need the light off RIGHT NOW.

Thank you for the input. I have already ordered the HDS with the other body tubes and pocket clip, but if that doesn't work out I'll definitely keep the LX2 in mind.

I'm given to believe they've been discontinued so problem will be finding one in good shape...

Ozythemandias

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for the input. I have already ordered the HDS with the other body tubes and pocket clip, but if that doesn't work out I'll definitely keep the LX2 in mind.

I'm given to believe they've been discontinued so problem will be finding one in good shape...

I'm interested in hearing how you like the HDS once you try it out and program it the way you need it.

Latest posts