Help deciding on Budget AAA EDC ?

Tony-

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for you guys suggestion. But I have a question, what the different between AA and AAA? lifetime or other? :thinking:
Hope the question is not too stupid. :thanks:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the AAA Lumintop tool.

If you're happy with a single mode light, the BLF-348 in Nichia 219B is hard to beat.

Nice thing about AAA lights is you can try a few without spending an absolute fortune, I have a few different AAA lights I carry depending on mood/circumstances.

+2!! I must have about a dozen of these all over the house.The Nichia is awesome. I love the tint! Not too warm but def not cool either. I'm such a sucker for gimmicks and the blue titanium Massdrop ones just shipped! I have a couple Massdrop brass ones too.

They are making the black anno in an AA now and I've really been wanting to try one.

gravelmonkey, the run time and size are the only things different about the AA lights. They are going to be the same brightness unless you stack the cells like a 2AA or 2AAA.

ven

Flashaholic
Thank you for you guys suggestion. But I have a question, what the different between AA and AAA? lifetime or other? :thinking:
Hope the question is not too stupid. :thanks:

Not too sure Tony on the question, AA for example a sanyo eneloop, 2100mah or the pro 2500mah are excellent AA cells. Now compare to say an AAA eneloop, around 750mah iirc, so give take around 3 times the energy in the tank. If your going to use your light a good bit , AA might make a better choice for longer run times. Flip side of course is the AA cell being larger than an AAA cell. Key chain use, AAA would be better suited for me personally due to being more compact. AA would be my choice for a light i intend using regular or more regular. So imo, both are better for different applications, be it key chain or maybe an EDC for work. The AA loop , especially the pro will out perform a good AAA under higher load/demand and sag less(voltage).

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
For an EDC I prefer small, and accordingly prefer twistys to tail switches. If I had to select one considering cost it would be the Tank 007 e09. It has three modes and I have given about 20 without a failure to my knowledge. I have not had good luck with the Astrolux A01. If price was no object I would probably select my Fenix LD01, but the Tank does everything I need in an EDC. It is a great buy at $13.26.
https://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10002363/1173305-tank007-e09-1-led-120lm-3-mode-memory-edc-led

Jerry

Last edited:

terjee

Enlightened
The Lumintop Tool AAA (already mentioned) is an EDC for several people here on this forum, and I carry one on my keychain.

The AA version of the same looks interesting, but then I feel like we should mention the Klarus Mi7 as well. Both have generated some interest here on the forum.

I'm not sure I caught a budget limit? Sorry if it was mentioned already. Reason I mention it is that Zebralights has some very interesting AA lights, but that's pushing the limit on what most would call budget light.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would mention Lumintop IYP365 Nichia version as well. It is a 2xAAA light, so it produces a bit more lumens for a longer time. It is a pen size light, so it lives perfectly in a shirt pocket. And the most important — it is Nichia 219B and produces the most pleasing to the eye beam tint.

It has non-budget options as well if you like durability (titanium) or bling (polished brass).

maxresdefault.jpg

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Just got my first high cri light which is my current edc, a Nitecore MT06MD. I'm really loving it so far. 180 lumens on high is good enough for me. I only wish it had a lower low. 4lm is a little too bright. If you need a lower low, the Thrunite Ti4 would be a better choice. Looking for one myself.

I also recently bought a Jetbeam Jet-U for $15. 135lm high makes it one of the brightest single aaa light. Again, the low is a little too bright. Has mode memory though. Nowhere near as bright as the Surefire Titan but that's a diff price point and too expensice to risk losing.

Either one is a great edc choice imho.

sofirn

Banned
Re: Any suggestion?

Thanks for recommend. Glad to know you like Sofirn SP10A.