Help finding clear slow set epoxy

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am having trouble finding "crystal clear" or "optical grade" slow set epoxy for GITD applications. Have looked in the local Home Depot, the local Lowe's, and the local Ace Hardware, and all I can find is the snot-yellow epoxy with a 60 minute set time (which gives me about 10 minutes of working time I find).

Where should I look for slow dry epoxy that sets up clear?

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been using Devcon 30 minute for all of my glow based projects and it makes for a very professional looking result. Dries clear, and is available at MalWart for around 3 dollar (maybe less). Home Despot might have some Devcon products but I'm not sure if they have this one.

Otherwise you can use the really good stuff from Norland, but thats just too expensive.

The Devcon product allows enough time to mix in glow powder, run around saying $*%& what was I going to put this in again? and still have enough time to apply it and help it cure the way you want. It levels itself out quite nicely into whatever gaps you might be applying it.

Best of luck

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Devcon! I can't find it around here. (Wal-Marts are scarce in Los Angeles). The LockTite 60-minute stuff is widely available everywhere I go (Home Despot, Lowes, Ace Hardware), but yellowish as I mentioned.

I busted out laughing :crackup: when you mentioned running around with the mixed epoxy, trying to figure out where to put it. I mixed my first batch of glow epoxy (using the nasty LockTite stuff) and did EXACTLY THAT! I mixed waaaay too much and was desperately searching the house looking for things that needed glow.

Next time: have backups ready to go, in case I over-mix again.

PS: The LockTite 60-minute slow-set doesn't seem to get very hard, either....

Thanks for the Devcon lead, I'll keep looking. There's still Target and OSH...

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well next time you're in Orange County there are a few around here, or closer yet there's a large on in Long Beach if I remember correctly. I tend not to frequent them all that often, but when I find myself at one, I almost always pick some up.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks fellers. Hey 308 are you suuuure that 30-min Devcon sets up clear? I looked at your link (have to take out one of the extra HTTPs) and one of those two components is pretty durn yellow...

Enlightened
Sorry about that. I corrected the link.

It is clear to me. Their bottle says "crystal clear" so Devcon must be pretty sure that it is clear. I have come to learn that opinions can be far spread on subjective terms so you'll have to judge for yourself.

Good Luck and don't glue your fingers together:nana:

Chris

lotsaluck

Newly Enlightened
We use a lot of the Crystal Clear 200 from here http://smooth-on.com/liqplas.htm and it may fit your needs. It is optically clear and mixes/sets well. Although its not sold as an adhesive it works better than epoxies I've used and is glass clear.

Stillphoto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks fellers. Hey 308 are you suuuure that 30-min Devcon sets up clear? I looked at your link (have to take out one of the extra HTTPs) and one of those two components is pretty durn yellow...

While one of the components does have a yellow tint to it, it when its mixed up and the reaction takes place, its pretty damn colorless. I will say that alot of times I wouldn't notice, since I'm usually mixing a green glow component into the epoxy, but I've used it for other things and it dried without any color.

Bolster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You were RIGHT!

Found some :30-min Devcon at OSH. It must be the same stuff you mention, although here in Southern California, the package says:

"Epoxia cristalina transparente"

....rather than "Crystal clear." (In smaller letters, it simply says "Clear" in English)

This Devcon is WAY BETTER than the LockTite :60-min epoxy. It dries clearer, dries harder, dries glossy. You guys were right, this is the good stuff. Thanks!

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought some 2 ton epoxy at WalMart. It is crystal clear, has at least an hour working time, and is the best that I have used for glow mods. Unfortunately, I peeled the label off of the tubes, and can't remember what brand it was. It was the only one labeled "2 ton", though.

It is very good at self leveling, and is giving me consistent results in my latest GITD mods.