Help me find a good headlamp, not spot and not "no reflector" flood.

apples

Newly Enlightened
Help me find a good headlamp, not spot and not "no reflector" flood.

Requirements:

1. Battery type:
a). 18650 battery type??? I only say this because this is a very common option. Maybe there is a better size battery?
b) Brand of battery, capacity, protected or unprotected. ( have never used 18650's before).

2. Battery charger:
a). Have seen the intellicharger the 2 slot and the 4 slot ones. Seem pretty cheap I thought. I am in Australia so 240V 50Hz. I think these ones can charge from 12v car lighter socket, that's a cool handy feature.
b) alternative??
c) what is a typical charge time of a 18650 battery?

3. Headlamp beam pattern
a). Wide but not one with no reflector, as I want to sacrifice wide beam angle and concentrate all that light for a longer throw.
b). No host spot. It is hard to walk at night (In my opinion) with a dirty bright ball of light right there in front of me.
c). Will use it for working under car at night, (used the fenix tk40 last night and it's roughly 80deg. angle was good for what I was doing). Working in roof spaces, under houses etc. So if I can sacrifice a bit of wide flood to give me a bit of throw, so that it would shoot off down the attic space etc. See, I would not need a spot beam for this type of use.

4. Colour temperature and CRI
Well I only have a maglight with normal bulb and my fenix tk40 to go by. I will admit that when I first got the fenix tk40 I found it to be very white and sort of nearly did not like it. But now I am used to it and it is good.
I am concerned that some people say this light cool white is not that good, it's too green , blue, red etc. So I hope I don't get one with a visible colour tint to it.
As to the CRI, well again I really do not know. Only have the above mentioned light to reference to.

5. Power......:D
Lol, yeah well.......

6. Budget
Some where around the $100 mark for the light itself, + batteries and a charger.

Am aware of the Wizard pro, but when they first came out they were failing or some thing?? Now it is a version 1.5?? How are they now.

Then there is the Zebralight H600Fw MKII

And probably others too......

What to do....

And some beam shots of possible lights would be great too.

I was just going to go AA as I have these already, but I really think I should just buy once (and get quality), rather than buy an AA unit then always want more power, run times etc. Otherwise I might end like everyone else on here and have a hoard of flashlights......ahhhhhhhh hahaha..

Link removed as per the banner at the top of the page
Why has my link been removed? - Norm

Last edited by a moderator:

apples

Newly Enlightened
H600F Mk2 Floody as opposed to just the first gen H600F?
And F not Fw?

one2tim

Enlightened
H600F Mk2 Floody as opposed to just the first gen H600F?
And F not Fw?

If you want somthing between reflector and no reflector I would suggest h602 floody, in neutral. Floody is with reflector but frosted lens. I just received the h602 flood with no reflector and are amazed with the power, don't think any other headlamp in this size comes even close to the plus 1000 lumens out the front, that the zebra light manages, and even with about 2 hours run time on high. Have used the old h60w for many years and this was a huge upgrade.

Rexlion

Enlightened
It sounds to me like you have contradictory desires, but maybe I misunderstand. You want wide angle, but you also want throw, but you also don't want a hotspot. The only thing that can do all of that is a zoom (focusing) light, like the LED Lenser H5, H7, or H14.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another interesting choice is the Armytek Wizard Pro. You can get it with a warmer-colored tint if you prefer, and I believe it has a 10-year warranty. It also seems to be super durable. That's what I'm going to get one of these days... Whatever you get, enjoy!

apples

Newly Enlightened
Nah not really after a focusing light, well from what I have read on the LED lensers was that they are not that good.......??? Might have another look.

I am looking towards the zebralight 600Mk2 headlights at the moment.

At 1:45min is the outside shots of the beam pattersn between H600f Mk2 and H600fw Mk2.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WPcpcvVkoTk

Interesting that the hotspot on the H600w MK2 compared to the beam of the H600fw is not really much of a hot spot, is it? If that was my Fenix TK40 I would have a much more noticeable hotspot as compared to the H600w.

Has anyone got some links to beam shots, outdoors, of the Zebralight H600w Mk2 and/or the H600fw Mk2 ?

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
2. Battery charger:
a). Have seen the intellicharger the 2 slot and the 4 slot ones. Seem pretty cheap I thought. I am in Australia so 240V 50Hz. I think these ones can charge from 12v car lighter socket, that's a cool handy feature.
b) alternative??
c) what is a typical charge time of a 18650 battery?
a) yes, can take a 12V DC input.
b) in Australia? This is the best option if you want to purchase locally.
c) about 6 hours for a 3100 mAh battery.

apples

Newly Enlightened
ok just pulled the trigger on a Zebralight H600w MK2 with i2 charger and 2 batteries.