Help Shopping For A New EDC

radar696

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking and having a little trouble finding what I would like to have in my pocket.

I'm thinking I still want an 18650 battery but in a light with a narrow head too.
With a moonlight setting but I would also still like a low of about 10 lumens.

Like I was looking at a Jetbeam WL-S2 Pro, it's almost exactly what I want but the low setting is 60 lumens.
I feel that is too high for low.
That is more like a med-low setting.

I've found it hard to search for a light based on minimum output.
Everyone seems to want that high output but you mostly use the low settings right?

So any suggestions would be great.

I hope you all have a good holiday season!

Radar

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened
I've been looking and having a little trouble finding what I would like to have in my pocket.

I'm thinking I still want an 18650 battery but in a light with a narrow head too.

Like I was looking at a Jetbeam WL-S2 Pro, it's almost exactly what I want but the low setting is 60 lumens.

Everyone seems to want that high output but you mostly use the low settings right?

Radar

What's your budget?

TCY

Enlightened
The older ZL like the SC63w can go as low as 0.01 lumen but also has two digit modes like 10, 28, and 61 to keep you happy. Don't know your budget but it's on sale at $69.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
EagleTac DX30LC2. I've got one in neutral, and it's been my primary EDC for 23 months now. I have a WL-S2 also. I like the EagleTac being slightly shorter and narrower than the JB. And its low is 7 lumens.

Timothybil

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are you looking for at the high end? The Streamlight ProTac EMS is a single AA light with 3.7/10/50 lumens of light, which I found more than adequate for an EDC. The Nitecore EA11 can use either a single AA or a rechargeable 14500. With the AA it does 1/17/40/90/160, while with the 14500 it does 1/70/160/300/900, which is probably not what you want. The Lumintop IYP365 and the Nitecore MT06MD are both double AAA penlights that do quite well as EDC lights, and both are classy enough that if they had been around in my suit days, one of them would have been my office EDC.

radar696

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the interest guys.

Yes I did forget to give my budget. I'm figuring under $100, maybe even a limit of $75.

Currently I'm using an OLight M20 Warrior and there isn't anything wrong with it except that the head is a little too large for pulling it out of my pants pocket.
I sometimes have to spend time in automotive assembly plants and having a bright light in your pocket can be very useful!

A high at or below 500lm would be more than sufficient.

Plus I already have 18650s and chargers, so it would be easiest to continue that way.
Not to mention they last a really long time at the low settings.

Yea, the really bright lights are cool but for practical day to day use the low output is most useful.

Scourie

Enlightened
I EDC a modified Eagletac DX30LC2, and it's a great flashlight but could be perfect if it had a true moonlight and proper mode memory.

For the OP, maybe a Olight S2R would meet your requirements?

Matt7337

Enlightened
For the OP, maybe a Olight S2R would meet your requirements?

I second this, I have watched and read multiple reviews about it over the past couple of weeks and the more I see the more I think it's a great light. I am 100% happy with my S1R and H1R Nova. They are two of the best flashlights I have ever used.

d88

Newly Enlightened
Another option may be the Nitecore P12GT. Compact, 18650 battery and relatively light. You still get 300m of beam distance and also has a 1 lumen moonlight mode.

Keitho

Enlightened
Those olight options are great, and olight is a great company. I'll second the Zebralight SC 63 or 64. They have multiple led options (I like the warm, high CRI), great low modes, and are the size of many AA lights.

biker1

Enlightened
Formerly from NYC - Still Ruled by Commi Criminal
I've been looking for an 18650 EDC for quite a while.
My edc's have been 18350's, 16340's and RCR123's.
Then I found the Emisar D4 about a month ago, priced between $40-$58 depending on your LED choice. The 18650 easily converts to an 18350 with the included additional tube.
Multiple LED choices, color choices, ramping UI, 1.3-2.0l min to 4300l max, depending on your LED choice
Not much larger than the 18650 cell.
Amazing light and my new EDC!

Last edited:

Cobraman502

Enlightened

Radar

You might be interested in a Convoy S2+. Randy over at PflexPro built a custom light for me, no additional cost.

It's using the h17f driver with lucidv2 firmware. The driver is potted and the switch has a very nice bypass. You can set any brightness level you want out of the 24. You can make it a 1 to 7 mode light with double tap to turbo or strobe. The moon light is great with the nichia 219c as its low Vf. It's an 18650 but I also run 18350 when I want something smaller. The output is amazing, Randy will provide specs after testing the light. Mine is 1200 lumens out the front at turn on and 995 after 30 seconds.

Cost was about $75.

Ps I added the magnet to the tailcap. Works great even in 18650 size.

2c856381fb2a25dcdee22c7f47115f0d.jpg
e4599d9cc176fc142a7e8846d132609d.jpg

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

You're a rare bird... I too seek minimum outputs with a 0.3-0.5 AND 3-5 lumen moonlight and low modes - that represents 90% of my usage. Got it in one light (with several backups), programmed as 4 mode with ~10x spacing, memory mode, and moonlight/low toogle capability. I sometimes run it on 16650 (because 1xCR123/AA/AAA fits in the tube too) but outside of camping, my typical usage is only ~1hr day, and at my preferred low low outputs, the dang cell lasts a ridiculous half year between chargers. I figure I might as well take the size advantage of the 16340, charge every other month, and it'll still run on a AA/AAA in a pinch, although not as cleanly (tailcap off). Gave up searching after so many disappointing purchases - seems most manufacturers do have the capability to measure, or consistently manufacturer low lows. Kept getting dim useless (for me) fireflies despite specs claimed 'bright' moonlights... yup, I'm a sub-lumen snob.

thegreatchangsby

Newly Enlightened
I love my D25LC2 thats been in my pocket for the past 3 years. Ive dropped from a two story balcony onto concrete and didn't have any issues just a small ding. Solid daily driver. A bit big but easy to use with its tail switch.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Don't discount the 16650 battery. They're getting pretty good, so if you see a 2x123 light you like chances are good that'll be an alternative fuel source.

I like Pelicans 2360. Although it's a 2x AA, it has a nice beefy feel to it and works fine on eneloops. It can be easily programmed to start at 19 lumens with a 375 lumen high. Fast press 5 times and hold #6 provides 1-4 blinks to indicate remaining fuel. 4 being full, one being low.

It's very pocket friendly and has a nice (removeable) clip.