High end 18650 battery still require maintenance?

Twinbee

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking of buying a single 18650 for my torch (it will only require a single 18650). However, I don't want to worry about any maintenance. To this end, I'd like an expensive top-of-the-line protected battery, but I don't mind if the energy isn't the maximum 3400 mAh.

Will I need to worry about it completely discharging or any other memory effects?

Last edited:

MAD777

Flashlight Enthusiast
In theory, a protected battery should monitor itself. This is why it's important to buy a quality battery from a reputable dealer. There are horrible batteries out there with false claims and there are many counterfeits of good batteries.

My favorite protected battery is Keeppower 18650 3500mAh .

You will see standard advice around here that says, "Don't buy a battery with the word FIRE in its name." It sounds funny, but it's serious advice.

Amazon and eBay are not reputable battery sources.

Last edited:

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
You will have no memory effects being a problem with a lithium ion battery.
As far as completely discharging the battery, if your flashlight or 'torch' doesn't have a low voltage working cut off limit, and the battery doesn't have a protection circuit, then you cloud over discharge the battery and ruin it.
Sometimes during long term storage a battery can be completely drained by a torches parasitic drain. There have been a few instances where the parasitic draw was low enough the batteries protection circuit failed to work .

Twinbee

Newly Enlightened
Good replies. Are lower mAh ones safer?

I'm going to come right out and ask: What URL online can I buy the best Li-ion 18650 from if I want the best/safest? A direct link would be appreciated. I live in the UK.

HKJ

Flashaholic
There have been a few instances where the parasitic draw was low enough the batteries protection circuit failed to work .

I doubt that, the protections I have tested works at very low currents.
There is also the point that it would be silly to add a circuit to disable the protection at low current (A voltage check will not disable itself at low current).