High lumen 'impresser'.

Ralys

Newly Enlightened
My quark mini aa2 used to be the brightest light in my troop, but now my scoutmaster has some marginally more powerful Streamlight...and I can't let that happen.

So...looking for a 800-ish lumen light. The maelstrom s12 (or mmu, whatever it's called now) looked good, but I can't find it in stock anywhere, and finding the battery is even harder.

So, 700-900 lumens, leaning more towards spotlight than flood, but a mix would be nice. I'm willing to pay a little more for quality...so something like $150 budget? I'm getting 27 hours a week now, so my paychecks are a little more substantial. lol

EDIT: also, some recs. on 18650 batteries would be nice...not sure which brands are trusted.

thanks

Last edited:

fiberguy

Newly Enlightened
From my research, everyone seems to love the protected 18650's by AW and the Pila charger. They aren't the cheapest but I'd venture to say its worth the investment. I don't know a whole lot here, but maybe you could check out the Fenix TK35. I'm starting to feel myself leaning that way right now. I think it's rated at 820 and 880 lumens (depending on which model you get, older or newer?), can take CR123's or 18650's, ect. The only drawback is that it uses 2 18650's which I've found seems to be less safe. Some of the pro's will jump in soon I'm sure. I'm a newbie too. They'll gladly tell you all the reasons I'm wrong here

Gooby

Newly Enlightened
If you don't like the "weird" shape of the Fenix TK35, you could get an Olight SR51 that is 900 lumens, but it only has 2 modes. If you want another Fenix TK35 shaped light then the [h=1]Rofis TR51 is good too.[/h][h=1][/h]

BarryG

Enlightened
:welcome:
Check out Goinggear.com and Lighthound.com
Use the filters and it will help narrow down your search.
If you find a light you lke, come back here and look for reviews.
Trust brands like Fenix, Jetbeam, Nitecore...

Join over at the Marketplace to gain access to the discount codes.
While there, check out the WTS posts, you might find a deal to good to pass up!

Barry

IMSabbel

Enlightened
My quark mini aa2 used to be the brightest light in my troop, but now my scoutmaster has some marginally more powerful Streamlight...and I can't let that happen.
thanks

One word of advice: if you want to impress, size is important. A 500 lumen CR123 light will be much more impressive than an 1500 Lumen 3*18650 light.

With that into account, 3 suggestions:

a) Any of the usual suspect AAA lights using a 10440 cell. Yes, the cell will be dead after 20 cycles or so, but 300+ lumen out of a L0D or something will impress people

b) Jetbeam RRT-01 with 18350 IMR cells. >600 Lumen with fresh battery, plus infinite variability down from tritium levels. Does impress people, especially if you just turn in to 100 lumen or so and they are "yeah, its a flashlight" and then go full power

c) Nitecore TM11. I know that maybe the Trunite TN30 is a contenter, but again, IMHO, size rules over output: The TM11 fits into my hands like a coke can. And one press of a button and you got 2000 Lumen.

All 3 lights were successfully used by me to impress people. The TM11 might push the budget, but I really enjoy that light. Its just feels compact and solid and nice.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
shiningbeam has Romisen RC-T601's .. rather small-ish light, 750 lumens...

after that, i'd leam more toward a fenix tk41 or tk60

Edit: Zebralight SC600.. that thing would impress anyone

DemonDan

Newly Enlightened
Or the tm11 for 150 dollars from gunsafari.

Out of stock and not planning to get any more in until the next revision apparently :(
I'm looking for one - so if anyone knows of any other sources with a great price please let me know (by reply or PM). Thanks!

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast
You want impressive for the size? Get an X10 and then maybe convert it to direct drive (pretty impressive even stock though!). It's only 5.4" long (measured by me with digital calipers.) You're looking at 24k lux@1m stock or 30k+ direct drive as well as around 850L OTF direct drive. And no, 26650s are not hard to find. BatterySpace, Intl-Outdoor, goinggear, foursevens...the list goes on and on.

You can buy an X10 for only $69 at 4sevens-store and they have 26650s too.

BTW, I highly recommend the Xtar SP2 to charge 26650s. It's a cradle charger than can do a 2 amp charge on two of these cells at once. For cells I would go with Powerizer 3600s from BatterySpace or King Kong INRs from Intl-Outdoor.

Last edited:

schmart

Newly Enlightened
Ralys,
I'm not sure where your scoutmaster's light beats your quark, but I can say that the above recommendation for a Zebralight SC600 is a very good option for scouting campouts. I have the SC600W I use on scouting trips with my 2 sons. The wide angle beam makes it really useful both in camp and hiking in the woods. On max output, you can really see as far as you need to, although there are other lights that certainly will out throw it. It just depends on exactly what you are wanting to do.
--Rick

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast

So...looking for a 800-ish lumen light. The maelstrom s12 (or mmu, whatever it's called now) looked good, but I can't find it in stock anywhere, and finding the battery is even harder.

So, 700-900 lumens, leaning more towards spotlight than flood, but a mix would be nice. I'm willing to pay a little more for quality...so something like $150 budget? I'm getting 27 hours a week now, so my paychecks are a little more substantial. lol

EDIT: also, some recs. on 18650 batteries would be nice...not sure which brands are trusted.

thanks

I just got an Eagletac G25C2 last week and I really like it. It has great throw for its size, and a medium spill beam. It rated at 770L with the XM-L U2 LED, or 640ANSI/OTF lumens. It runs on 18650 or 2 CR123. Its $105, but you can get a $10 coupon and get it for $95.

All you need for batteries is to buy 2 Orbtronics 18650's. Either the 2900mah or the 3100mah. You can buy 2 at Amazon for $23.99 for the 2900mah or $25 for the 3100mah for 2. The AW's and Redilast cost about $18-$25 for just 1, and they arent any better, because they ALL use Panasonic cells anyway. The Orbtronics are protected, and have been reviewed here recently. Eagletac 18650's are great too, at $14.99 apiece. They are also protected Panasonic.

I also have a Zebralight SC600, and the Eagletac is better. The anodizing on the SC600 is inferior, and it doesnt throw well. It is bright though. But so is the Eagletac.

Last edited:

ShineOnYouCrazyDiamond

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the SC600w. Bang for the size is immeasurable compared with other lights. No one would ever expect that amount of light coming out of something that tiny. And, unlike an overdriven AAA light, you can wield these lumens for an extended period of time. The lo and super-lo settings on the SC600w would definitely come in handy in the tent or for bag searching.