High output (around 400 lumens and upwards) LED flashlights using CR123/RCR123 batts

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As SuperTrouper suggests, Fenix TK30 is a great light. Even with 2xCR123 it's impressive and puts out close to 400 lumens. An alternative worth to take in consider if you would find 6xCR123 too costly.
And of course not to forget: Malkoff Wildcat...

Regards, Patric

kito109654

Newly Enlightened
I have one of these, pretty much as described, with Nailbender DD single-mode SST-90, McClicky+Brass and 18650 battery. It cranks out some light, no doubt, with the biggest hotspot you've ever seen.

For a simple light, using 123's, I would just get a 6P host and then use a Nailbender SST-50 drop-in. The stock 6P twisty should work fine with that, and you don't need any boring of the body. I believe you'd get 400-500 OTF lumens with a SST-50 and RCR123's, but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

-
If you tried to use RCR123s on the SST-50(or 90) drop ins it would fry the emitter. The choices are 2xCR123/1x18650/1x17670.

Get a surefire compatible host.

Go see the nailbender. Ask him for a 3 level (hi/med/lo) directdrive SST90 dropin for a surefire.

Get a McClicky Brass+ switch for your tailcap.

1000 lm in your pocket, or 1200 otf w/18650s.:hitit:
That's not true, that combo will be a bit over 600 OTF, in cool white, if I'm not mistaken. I have that combo in warm white. Not that it really matters because the OP asked about RCR123s which this CANNOT use.

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Awesome (1 points to me)

what about drop-in?

A drop in is an assembly you can put into a host body which has the LED emitter, driver and all other required circuitry on a metal (usually brass) pill. It also has a reflector so you typically just have to unscrew the head/bezel of a host light and drop this module in, hence the name.

The drop ins being discussed here are P60 compatible, meaning you will need a P60 host light to hold one of these drop ins.

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
I don't get it:
16340 = rcr123?

16340 aka rcr123 are typically 3.7 to 4.2 volts. cr123 are typically 3.0 volts. multiply each by # of batteries used and see if the light supports that voltage. also, DO NOT mix the two. you really need to learn about li-ion batteries before you go any further with your search.

Fizban

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys!

Man! Before these helpful advice i really didn't know where to start.

What is a non-fuss way to get a 1000+ lumens torch in my pocket??

notsobrite

Newly Enlightened
fizban-

3 things:

a. how big can it be?
b. how long do you want it to run?
c. how much money do you want to spend?

if we know this info we can give you better advice.

Fizban

Newly Enlightened
Get a surefire compatible host.

Go see the nailbender. Ask him for a 3 level (hi/med/lo) directdrive SST90 dropin for a surefire.

Get a McClicky Brass+ switch for your tailcap.

1000 lm in your pocket, or 1200 otf w/18650s.:hitit:

fizban-

3 things:

a. how big can it be?
b. how long do you want it to run?
c. how much money do you want to spend?

if we know this info we can give you better advice.

Hmmm......

a) As big and sleek as an Inova X5 hopefully
b) On highest output for about 1+ hours min
c) 250 bucks max

Thanks for putting things into perspective notsobrite (and btw ur nick is such a misnomer)

Noctis

Enlightened
Haha does it look good?

I'll read up on it, thanks Noctis!
It's probably your only option without going through the fuss of having someone custom-make one for you. The Moddoo Triple XP-G can get you what you want, but he's not going to make anymore and I doubt anyone who has one would sell it.

Fizban

Newly Enlightened
It's probably your only option without going through the fuss of having someone custom-make one for you. The Moddoo Triple XP-G can get you what you want, but he's not going to make anymore and I doubt anyone who has one would sell it.

Thanks Noctis.

Guess I'm too late for that.