UV LED flashlights currently on the market

ebuchner

Newly Enlightened
In the 0.5 and up wattage range, what lights/manufacturers seem to offer good quality and performance? The last time I bought a UV flashlight it was closer to 2005, so I'm hoping I can get a quick brush up on the state of the market here. Thank you!

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Things have gotten far better since 2005, especially since it's easy to find true UVA 365nm LEDs now. The Convoy S3 is legendary around here, and I have a Tattu UV LED that is very similar to the Convoy. My main advice is to avoid the 395nm "almost UV" lights that are common in brick & mortar stores.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Noctigon kr4, emisar d4k are available with 8 uv 365nm leds with zwb2 filter, it is pure flood, 2 options 24w and 40w
Noctigion 9.3 with 3 uv leds with zwb2 filter, and 9 other leds, your choice of colors. I just got one myself, 15 watts for UV.

Last edited:

LEDite

Enlightened
This is a 120W AC powered commercial model I build:
DesignerUV.jpg

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I recently picked up a Sofirn SF15 (2x AA) UV-pen light. Being happy with that - though not so happy when it actually something in the house - I put in another order for the larger SF16 (18650). Both are UV-A, 365 Nm. And both was a major step up from my previous Streamlight TwinTask 3C, which had both 365 and 395 Nm 5mm diodes (not the SMD LED-chips that are used today). Plus a halogen bulb for regular light.

I am currently looking at the Fenix LD32 UVC. If my understanding is correct, then UV-A (365 Nm) only finds bacterial stains, whereas UV-C (255 Nm) kills the bacteria. And as such, the UV-feature of the LD32 UVC is not a toy in any way, and requires protective gear for skin and eyes.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I recently picked up a Sofirn SF15 (2x AA) UV-pen light. Being happy with that - though not so happy when it actually something in the house - I put in another order for the larger SF16 (18650). Both are UV-A, 365 Nm. And both was a major step up from my previous Streamlight TwinTask 3C, which had both 365 and 395 Nm 5mm diodes (not the SMD LED-chips that are used today). Plus a halogen bulb for regular light.

I am currently looking at the Fenix LD32 UVC. If my understanding is correct, then UV-A (365 Nm) only finds bacterial stains, whereas UV-C (255 Nm) kills the bacteria. And as such, the UV-feature of the LD32 UVC is not a toy in any way, and requires protective gear for skin and eyes.
You are correct. UVA can kill a small subset of bacteria, but UVC can kill pretty much all bacteria and deactivate viruses. Currently the radiant energy from UVC LEDs is fairly weak compared to germicidal fluorescent lamps, so it's mostly useful for close-up spot disinfection as well as identifying certain minerals that only glow under UVC.

wjv

Enlightened
If you can find a Wurkkos WK30, it's a very good light. High quality with a 365nm led.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yea, those are great, the uvc bulbs, they kill everything. My aunt has a small shed where she puts garbage, yard tools, ..etc. trash gets picked up once a week, so it often stinks there, I installed 2x 30w uvc bulbs, they are always on when door is closed, once you open the door the light goes out, so you can safely walk in, now it always smells like chlorine, due to ozone, no garbage smell anymore, no flies ether.

roguegeek

Newly Enlightened
I just did this dance a couple weeks ago. My son is getting into rockhounding and I decided to finally test out dozens of UV lights. The goal was to find one for each of the following fuel sources: 10440, 14500, 18650, 21700, multi-cell device.

A couple things I learned real quick when I started. If it isn't 365nm and properly filtered for visible light, you might as well throw them away. Filtering out visible light is an absolute requirement if you're going to get a good contrasting image. Also, it was painfully obvious any UV light that was integrated with another light was just nothing more than a second thought.

The following are some of the lights I tested with a very quick summary. Some were ones I already owned. Some I bought specifically to test.

Light
UV
Filtered
Watts
Summary
Alonefire SV62 Mini365nmyes3Wbest 10440
Alonefire SV70 Mini365nmyes3Wgood performance, Tool AA UV performed better
Alonefire SV003365nmyes10Wgood performance, SV005 performed better
Alonefire SV005365nmyes10Wbest 18650
Alonefire SV13365nmyes15Wgood performance, SV005 performed better
Alonefire SV43365nmyes36Wbest 21700
Alonefire SV52365nmyes25Won par with SV43, but with a bit more throw
Alonefire H42UV365nmyes36Wgood performance, SV74 performed better
Alonefire SV84365nmyes45Wgood performance, SV74 performed better
Alonefire SV74365nmyes48Wbest multi-cell
Anker Bolder UV365nmnounfiltered
Convoy S2+365nmnounfiltered
Lumenshooter S3365nmyesgood performance, SV005 performed better
LUMINTOP Tool AA UV365nmyes3Wbest 14500
LUXNOVAQ UV Flashlight365nmyes30Wgood performance, SV005 performed better
Malkoff MD2365nmnounfiltered
Olight i5UV365nmnounfiltered
Olight Arkfeld Pro365nmnounfiltered and integrated
Olight Seeker 4 Mini365nmnounfiltered and integrated
Rovyvon (so many various ones)365nmnounfiltered
Sofirn SF15365nmnounfiltered
Sofirn SF16365nmyespoor filtering, SV005 performed better
Streamlight Stylus Pro UV365nmnounfiltered
uvBeast V3 365nm Mini365nmyesgood performance, SV005 performed better
uvBeast V3 365nm365nmyes30Wgood performance, SV005 performed better
Weltool M2-BF365nmyes1.8Wnicest built light, way underperformed, SV005 performed better
Wurkkos WK30365nmnounfiltered and integrated

I'd never heard of this Alonefire brand before running these tests, but they were extremely easy to acquire through Amazon, so I threw them in there. I'm glad I did. I'm guessing they're just another one of the many Chinese brands out there. The quality of the physical light is definitely not on par with something like a Weltool, but they're cheap enough to justify a purchase and they objectively performed better than most.

Anyway, I hope this helped.

Last edited:

roguegeek

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for covering uvBeast. That is an uncommon brand apparently in some trade circles with UK designers.
I had no idea. When I started looking, their name came up quite a bit. Their products were real good and I'd have been content if they were my final purchase.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just did this dance a couple weeks ago. My son is getting into rock hounding and I decided to finally test out dozens of UV lights. The goal was to find one for each of the following fuel sources: 10440, 14500, 18650, 21700, multi-cell device.

A couple things I learned real quick when I started. If it isn't 365nm and properly filtered for visible light, you might as well throw them away. Filtering out visible light is an absolute requirement if you're going to get a good contrasting image. Also any UV light that were integrated within another light
For "rock hounding" you will probably want to get a "short" wavelength like 254nm. In the old days they used a mercury vapour tube. I could not take mine out, as it was 120vac and at the time had no portable power source, and night excursions were not feasible.

Some battery-powered short UV lights exist for sterilization including COVID. I have seen LED ones at least down to 280nm, not sure how that works vs. 254nm on rocks and minerals.

Dave

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had no idea. When I started looking, their name came up quite a bit. Their products were real good and I'd have been content if they were my final purchase.
In 2022 I had been out of the flashlights for quite a while. I would look up all these strange brands that were on Amazon and try to learn something about them. That was one of the few that seemed worthwhile.

roguegeek

Newly Enlightened
For "rock hounding" you will probably want to get a "short" wavelength like 254nm. In the old days they used a mercury vapour tube. I could not take mine out, as it was 120vac and at the time had no portable power source, and night excursions were not feasible.

Some battery-powered short UV lights exist for sterilization including COVID. I have seen LED ones at least down to 280nm, not sure how that works vs. 254nm on rocks and minerals.

Dave
Oh that's a whole different set of tools I'm looking at right now too. :LOL: I should have probably clarified my test ultimately turned into looking for the best 365nm filtered lights for my purpose.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Oh that's a whole different set of tools I'm looking at right now too. :LOL: I should have probably clarified my test ultimately turned into looking for the best 365nm filtered lights for my purpose.
I'm hoping to find a shortwave UVC flashlight with at least a little bit of throw. UVC LEDs are still fairly new and not terribly powerful though. Then there's the challenge of 'throw' where the atmosphere absorbs a good bit of the UVC energy, so there's probably a physical limit to how far they can throw. If I find a good one I'll post it here.