What is the purpose of UV flashlights?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fungus and bacterial infections glow, uv is often used to diagnose it, shine uv on your feet, you'll see if you have fungus toenails. vets use it to see for skin infections too,

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
...She has two different blood types circulating thanks to the different bone marrow DNA in her left side bones. The immune systems of the different parts of her body tend to fight...
Wow. I had no idea this was possible. This raises so many questions in my mind.

As far as the Blaschko lines, I think the question would center on what substance would cause the fluorescence under UV. Blood doesn't fluoresce under UV at all, but fingernails do. Maybe it has something to do with keratin?

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
UV tracer paste and UV ink for identifying a nearby thief or mischief maker. They used to coat the handles of public fire alarm pull boxes with UV tracer paste. If a false alarm was pulled, the firemen would check the hands of nearby kids for glowing fingers.
I've been wanting to find a petty thief at work for a long time, so this paste could help, I didn't even know about its existence

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I've been wanting to find a petty thief at work for a long time, so this paste could help, I didn't even know about its existence
It comes in paste and powder form. The professional version of the paste contains an agent that binds to the skin and is very hard to wash off, even though it's undetectable to the subject. This is the stuff you want.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I'm guessing a pair of gloves would defeat the paste.
Not entirely, as the subject is likely to transfer some of the paste to their clothes, desk, etc. Also the subject needs to suspect that this is being used in the first place. And even a tiny bit of the paste will stand out like a sore thumb under UV.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm just looking for suitable UV lamps and the question of eye protection has arisen. I found these glasses, they seem to be intended for laboratory technicians who constantly work under ultraviolet light

Has anyone used these?

The last time I used UV to check money, the reflection from the bill for about 10-15 seconds was enough for my eyes to hurt for about 3-4 hours after

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any polycarbonate blocks uv, acrylic, pmma will not, few of my reading glasses are made of PC, i can see things glow, but when i look directly into uv light with black glass, i see nothing, but without glasses i can see leds die. if you have no black glass, even with PC glasses you will still see visible spectrum that uv led emmitts.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Any polycarbonate blocks uv, acrylic, pmma will not, few of my reading glasses are made of PC, i can see things glow, but when i look directly into uv light with black glass, i see nothing, but without glasses i can see leds die. if you have no black glass, even with PC glasses you will still see visible spectrum that uv led emmitts.
In a pinch, you can use blue-blocking computer glasses. These will block all wavelengths shorter than around 450nm including UVA thru UVC.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Here's my UV lights in action:
US Passport with Visible light:
xfAvSLm.jpg

With UV:
p8fBqVh.jpg

Leak under the house after adding Riboflavin to the water:
lgyP0RV.jpg

Rock found in California - mostly Mica & Quartz:
z0lQERN.jpg

But definitely has some mineral in it:
wUYLO4L.jpg

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Interesting. Now I'm wondering if the non-toxic UV tracer dyes are made with Riboflavin.
Possibly.... based on what I know now, I only need about a milligram per gallon for a decent reaction... for two 80 gallon storage tanks I put 1/2 cup.o_O Took about 1 month for the yellow tint (under normal light) to go away, and about 3 months to stop getting a UV reaction.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast

LEDite

Enlightened
The stain removal light is UVA frequency {LEDs}, but high enough actual UV output is the key for good results.