Home Depot led bulbs out of date?

oldwesty4ever

Newly Enlightened
I tested it with a Kill a watt. It measured at about 5.2w. It is a non-dimmable model though, I know the dimmable models use a bit more juice. Maybe it is actually 720 lumens, hard to tell with just a 100 lumen difference.

Got a link to that article about LED filament lamps?

Without a review anywhere on the internet I wouldn't buy that it is 160 lumens/watt at all. I just read an article about filament LED bulbs and they list a 60 watt equivalent at 7-10 watts. I'm betting that the numbers are hyped on that bulb and it doesn't put out 800 actual lumens nor take as low as 5 watts as the claims of 10% less means nowhere near 5 but rather 6.3W and 60w equivalent doesn't necesarily mean 800 lumens but in the range of that could be more like 720 lumens.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I don't have a dimmer on my table lamps so that isn't useful to me I would have to either install a touch dimming circuit as the lamps are metal or a new socket with a dimmer switch or an inline dimmer

Nope, the bulbs are controlled by your phone/tablet/device, or if you just want 2-4 output options, a wireless and battery-free Tap switch. Whatever switch/circuit the bulb is connected to is simply left on, all the controlling takes place inside the bulb itself.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I tested it with a Kill a watt. It measured at about 5.2w. It is a non-dimmable model though, I know the dimmable models use a bit more juice. Maybe it is actually 720 lumens, hard to tell with just a 100 lumen difference.

Got a link to that article about LED filament lamps?
nope I didn't bookmark the article. If the bulb truly is 160lm/w we will see a review about it but I searched and the brand is mentioned on amazon but no sales or review is there which means either it is new or something is going on otherwise.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Nope, the bulbs are controlled by your phone/tablet/device, or if you just want 2-4 output options, a wireless and battery-free Tap switch. Whatever switch/circuit the bulb is connected to is simply left on, all the controlling takes place inside the bulb itself.

A bit too expensive for a lamp I rarely use IMO

iamhacked

Newly Enlightened
Nothing really to write home about though in my opinion.

60w equivalent A19 bulbs that only use 9.5W at CRI 85+, and it's nothing to write home about?? $20 for a 4-pack too.

I'm not sure about what the others are coming out with soon, but it seems like an improvement.

Last edited:

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
60w equivalent A19 bulbs that only use 9.5W at CRI 85+, and it's nothing to write home about?? $20 for a 4-pack too.

I'm not sure about what the others are coming out with soon, but it seems like an improvement.
I remember the early days of CFL bulbs and their issues and when they got under $10 they started selling a lot more but then they were 4-5 times more efficient than incans while LED bulbs compete more often than not with CFLs and instead of being 400% more efficient they often not more efficient or maybe 33% more efficient in this case 60lm/watt vs 80lm/w.
I did a quick calculation and the price difference of a $5 LED bulb vs a 22 cent (4 for 88 cents) CFL you have to run it 8 hours a day for about 300 days at 10 cents per kwh. That assumes the LED bulb lasts that long and the LED bulb needs to last another year in case it dies you will have saved enough to replace the bulb and continue on while the 22 cent CFL may last 3-5 years even if it doesn't last a year 22 cents isn't hard to save vs incan costs which is its main competitor.

I'm still waiting on LEDs to get there but I admit they are getting a lot closer not quite the $10 CFL stage vs incans yet but when we get LED bulbs around 120 lm/w they will be 100% more efficient and pay for themselves such in savings in eletricity vs CFL that if they last a year at 8 hr/day use they are a bargain and I would be replacing all bulbs that are used quite often with them. We could see a lot of CFLs brand new tossed in the trash or recycled at that stage if people did the math.

markr6

Flashaholic

Go online instead. How about:

4 pack for $16.99 (for 4000K; $15.80 for 3000K)
90+CRI!!!
Dimmable
9W (60W Equivalent)
Energy Star approved
Your choice of 2300K, 2700K, 3000K, 4000K, 5000K (finally!!!)
800 Lumens
340° Omni-directional

The 4000K is absolutely amazing. It almost has that Nichia 219B feeling to it. The high CRI is unmistakable. I'd still personally go 3000K for bedrooms and living rooms.

Stereodude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, L-prize bulbs did better than that years ago. Of course they weren't $5, but as I keep saying, this is a race to the bottom.

bose301s

Newly Enlightened
Well, L-prize bulbs did better than that years ago. Of course they weren't $5, but as I keep saying, this is a race to the bottom.
Exactly, they were $50 and Philips still lost money on every one they sold even at that price.

iamhacked

Newly Enlightened

90+CRI!!!
Dimmable
9W (60W Equivalent)
Energy Star approved
800 Lumens
340° Omni-directional

The 4000K is absolutely amazing. It almost has that Nichia 219B feeling to it. The high CRI is unmistakable. I'd still personally go 3000K for bedrooms and living rooms.

Interesting. The specs look great, but can anyone vouch for the lighting quality?

I live in Canada and it's actually $27.99 for the 4pack. But then, Cree 4-flow LED bulbs go for $10.97 each here, so the new version might be just as expensive. Other brands like Philips, Osram, and Feit tend to be cheaper at around ~$5.

I might purchase this Hyperikon bulb, if the 2016 crop of bulbs by brands like Philips or Osram aren't as good.

Interestingly, the Philips 2015 non-dimmable (60W equivalent) 5000k LED bulb I bought in March, it seems to be already degrading its color. The CRI was never great in the first place (80), but it seems to make things look so greenish and pale already. Might just be my wall's paint color though.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

90+CRI!!!
Dimmable
9W (60W Equivalent)
Energy Star approved
800 Lumens
340° Omni-directional

Interesting. The specs look great, but can anyone vouch for the lighting quality?

I've been running 6 of these in my basement for almost a year now. I would guesstimate I turn them on/off a few times every day, running them for a total of 30-60 minutes per day. GREAT color. The 4000K is perfect for the basement which is used for a little bit of everything - working out, storage, son playing with toys. It's pretty much an absence of any tint; just a nice white. The 2700K and 3000K I compared looked the same to me. I guess that would make the 3000K a perfect compromise for living areas where most people seem to use 2700K incandescents.

iamhacked

Newly Enlightened
Okay, so the Hyperikon LED bulbs arrived today. I can definitely tell the high CRI/R9, the reds/oranges/pinks are more vibrant than before. It makes a difference when I look through my camera as well.

However I realized I do not like the color temperature 4000k. It looks dingy, it reminds me of really old fluorescent lighting where the CCT was like 3500k. Must be why the North American market primarily sells only 2700k and 5000k. I'm fine with mixing 2700k and 5000k, but not 4000k. I might just be used to the 5000k in my room though.

Last edited:

KXA

Newly Enlightened

You've got that right. Virtually all LED bulbs made today are crap, which is very unfortunate, because I want LED to succeed. (This is probably due to corporate greed, but that is another subject.)

brickbat

Enlightened
You've got that right. Virtually all LED bulbs made today are crap, which is very unfortunate, because I want LED to succeed. (This is probably due to corporate greed, but that is another subject.)

Crap? Feel free to switch back to incandescents any time... 21 lumens/W, 750 hour life time. Woohoo. Oh, wait - sold by big corporations, and makes you buy electricity from utility monopolies. Kerosene lamps - Dang - Big Oil. Hmm... Maybe switch back to burning sticks...

Light bulbs are a consumer commodity. The market is driven by competitive pricing.

Last edited: