Home Depot led bulbs out of date?

iamhacked

Newly Enlightened
I think there actually might be something wrong with these Hyperikon LED bulbs. They're giving off a burning electrical smell. I've confirmed it by removing the light bulb, the base smelled like burning plastic. That's weird because it's both UL listed and Energy Star certified. I'm running these bulbs in a flush mount with the cover off, so not enclosed at all.

These bulbs are running awfully hot as well, I had to wait a few minutes to remove them. I don't have a thermometer but it's definitely hotter than the 70C for my Philips LED bulb, must be like 80C or 90C.

I was liking the high CRI/R9 light they were outputting, so it's unfortunate. Anyone recommend any other high CRI LED bulbs? It might be hard to beat, the Energy Star listing shows the bulb as having CRI 92 and R9 66. If not, I might have to buy the new Cree LED bulbs

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I think there actually might be something wrong with these Hyperikon LED bulbs. They're giving off a burning electrical smell. I've confirmed it by removing the light bulb, the base smelled like burning plastic. That's weird because it's both UL listed and Energy Star certified. I'm running these bulbs in a flush mount with the cover off, so not enclosed at all.

These bulbs are running awfully hot as well, I had to wait a few minutes to remove them. I don't have a thermometer but it's definitely hotter than the 70C for my Philips LED bulb, must be like 80C or 90C.

I was liking the high CRI/R9 light they were outputting, so it's unfortunate. Anyone recommend any other high CRI LED bulbs? It might be hard to beat, the Energy Star listing shows the bulb as having CRI 92 and R9 66. If not, I might have to buy the new Cree LED bulbs

That's too bad. Mine have been running cool and consistent. 4000K seems very white to me, too cool for me to use them in the rest of the house.

roger-roger

Enlightened
I love the Hyperikon 4000k LED, but prefer the 5000K (medium CRI). Part of the reason for this is the interior walls are a sort of *dark* cream color as opposed to white, which I'm sure makes a difference.

iamhacked

Newly Enlightened
That's too bad. Mine have been running cool and consistent. 4000K seems very white to me, too cool for me to use them in the rest of the house.
That's weird. I must've gotten a defective one then. Or does this not have enough thermal management in the design?

I love the Hyperikon 4000k LED, but prefer the 5000K (medium CRI). Part of the reason for this is the interior walls are a sort of *dark* cream color as opposed to white, which I'm sure makes a difference.

I think I prefer 5000k in my room as well. My walls are a light green color.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
No need for strong opinions on color temperature. Even though I feel the warm bulbs should be sold with an accompaniment of a ready made noose. Anyway, K preference is dependant on room color and room activity. Warm is represents evening wind down. I tried waking myself with a warm 30 watt led, but ditched that in favor of a cool, ugly, 50 watt work light.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very happy with the Philips Hue system, just go with whatever Kelvin or color you feel like..

Will be walking past them in a few minutes, wishing I could afford the luxury. At least in my bedroom. . Now, if this could put out 4k lumens of waking cool light, as well as 3 watt warm low, I could justify the price. .

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Now, if this could put out 4k lumens of waking cool light, as well as 3 watt warm low, I could justify the price. .

They're accent lights, gotta put the light where it's needed and/or looks best. Individual bulb max is 800 lumens, not sure what the minimum is but when set warm it's so low that it looks like there's a candle in the lamp fixture. The current Hue bulbs will probably be on sale shortly, as a new version is about to be released.

goldwing

Newly Enlightened
Should start a new thread.

What's up with the home LED replacements for standard bulbs? Only good for 3 hrs. a day? To last 5 or whatever years. What if I'm in a room longer than 3 hrs. Do I lose life in the LED? Had a Walmart brand LED and it didn't last all that long. Thanks

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Should start a new thread.

What's up with the home LED replacements for standard bulbs? Only good for 3 hrs. a day? To last 5 or whatever years. What if I'm in a room longer than 3 hrs. Do I lose life in the LED? Had a Walmart brand LED and it didn't last all that long. Thanks

No, 3 hours is just their estimate of a "typical" bulb's use. I've left specific lights with LED's in them running for multiple days in a row when traveling for the sake of making it look like there might be someone home. No problems so far, and some of those bulbs are 3-4 years old by now.

While there are some defective bulbs out there, and you can kill many of them early by using them in enclosed fixtures if they aren't rated for that purpose, in generally they're rated to last for a certain number of hours, and according to some tests, there's a good chance they'll exceed that if they don't have a quality defect.

So if a bulb is rated for 15,000 hours, if you use it 3 hours per day, you will probably see it last 14 years or more. A standard incandescent bulb would only last 1-2 years at that use level.

On the other hand, if it's used as a porch light you leave on all night, for example, the 12 hours per day it averages might see it worn out in 3-4 years. However, an incandescent bulb in the same use would probably only last 3-6 months in the same use.

nitebrite

Enlightened
2017 Army still has better technology than Home Depot I assure you :) The truth is the price war. Go to a specialty shop online or otherwise.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure what this means.

Probably means translation software. He/she is saying better technology can be bought online. Now, Army brand maybe a mistake.

As far as the Walmart brand Great value goes: there are 2 identical bulbs, same lumens, 2 prices, 2 warranty lengths. As i recall, upper $2 and upper $3. Probably lower quality control on the lower one. Probably, at best, a %10 defective rate from factory. The thermal path had me raise my eyebrows. But, at twenty something for 10, hard to pass up, if you need 35 cfl replacements. Naturally, since the size and thermal path is same for all wattages, likely the lower the wattage, the better the life. Also, the higher lumen per watt, should point to a longer life. So, you can see several factors at store affecting lifespan. But blind, i believe, to the driver life. Need a good Clive video of him dissecting one.

As far as a price war goes, the Walmart brand seems to break the 100 lpw, as i recall (been well over a year since I purchased), for what it is, won this class.... I waited for 100 lpw to replace my cfls. Now, hoping for something closer to 200 lpw. Not sure where my threshold should be. Or if an easy, cheap, way to dim or shift K, will sway me to replace. Though, my goal is more to motivate and wake up, so brightness matters : at night, and entertaining company, need the opposite, in same areas... The other issue is the one of who controls the light. Cannot get the wife or kids to turn on the attached leds to the vacuum, much less wear a headlamp when vacuuming. The only cool, waking, bright lights they use is the lcd screens when doing non productive activities.

Last edited: