Homemade 24" scratch built & designed reflector

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've started a new thread called 50 inch Monster Searchlight... I learned much from the 24 inch searchlight and will use this knowledge to make one heck of a big searchlight. ...Should be fun!:grin2::cool:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast

Not really. I will continue to improve and eventually rebuild a 'smoother' more accurate 24 inch reflector. The size of the existing "LightSward", is fairly easy to transport...not too heavy...about 19 pounds for the reflector, protective lens, housing and light bulb....:whistle:ballast is a little more...:eek:

I think I accomplished my goal of building a very inexpensive, relatively easy to build, yet powerful and a fairly well focused searchlight. This has been a lot of fun and a very good learning experience.:twothumbslovecpf
Thank You all who shared with comments, and all those who took a look. I hope this helped inspire and get people 'doing things'!:cool::thanks:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, the reflector can double as a solar oven during the day!

Cool project, thanks for posting.

Regards,

Mark

I got some of my guidance, building the 24 inch reflector, from a web site describing how to make solar ovens. There are tips on reflective surfaces, (I found better material than the ones quoted on the video), fiberglass construction techniques...etc.,.

It does act very well as a solar oven!:)

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh wait....I got this topic confused with Get Lit's "NightSword" because of your LightSward CPF name. LOL!

I actually did it myself when glancing at the thread posts. I originally used the Sward instead of Sword to help differentiate.:whistle:

Update, things are moving along well with the 50 inch "Monster Light". I'm building it, using the knowlegde gained from this project.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes! :naughty:I now have the means to operate the 100 watt HID and 400 watt HID light sources from battery and/ or automobile sources. I'll be experimenting with this, the next few weeks.:twothumbs

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am considering a several medium arc gap lights, that will make this light shine even better...much better!

Here is a tentative parts list , for my 1000 watt medium arc gap HID bulb and ballast. Anything with an arc gap of 30 mm or less makes a thin fairly well columnated beam. Ballast costs are around $130.00 or less and bulbs with arc gaps around 10 mm are less than $160.00, and mogul base bulbs with an arc gap less than 30 mm are $37.00 or less. Here are some examples.:candle::popcorn::whistle::

twin pin 1000 watt HID ceramic base

Relatively inexpensive (less than $190.00) medium arc length (10 mm arc gap).

1000 watt HID ceramic pin base

$160.00, 10 mm arc gap, 1000 watt HID

24 mm arc gap 1000 watt HID

$140.00 and decent output. U.V. protection???

mogul base 26 mm arc gap $36.99
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4097030510_3fdcf98828.jpg

Long lasting (24,000 hours, $37.00, 28 mm arc gap, 95,000 lumens) okay arc gap, (anything 30 mm or less, makes a slender, more focused beam.

1000 watt multi-type-bulb ballast

Ballast powers a long list of various 1000 watt HID light bulbs and cost $140.00 and less, (some lesser brands are under $85.00).

These are just some of the inexpensive 1000 watt HID bulbs and a ballast I've considered. :twothumbs:cool:

Smaller arc bulbs climb right up to the $900.00 or more range, less lumens per watt and it does not last very long! :thumbsdow :broke:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:grin2: I'm doing more experiments, with different light bulbs, with this 24 inch reflector. This reflector has amazing properties to it.

Here is another light bulb I am considering.

Below is another 10 mm arc gap, 1200 watt, HID bulb that should make a nice, bright, narrow beam, if I go with it. This bulb would be easy to build a rugged support, and cooling system for.
:candle::sssh::whistle::)

4117098924_59df4a1405_o.png

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a basic CAD layout to design your own Parabolic Reflector.

EASY, EASY, CAD, and by hand; Parabolic Instructions
4143094840_bf81eea7c5_o.jpg

First determine the basic parameters of the Parabolic Reflector. Bulb type, size of light emitter, desired beam configurations, use, costs and many more factors determine the size and basic dimensions of the reflector. Deep Dish or Shallow Mirror, storage, manufacturing ability, etc., then draw base line, focus point and bottom point of reflector..

spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4142337511_5b62378e32_o.jpg

Draw lines that will help you form the shape of the parabolic reflector. If you want a shallow mirror type reflector, you need most of your parallel lines close to the bottom, you may have to try a little trial and error. You should quickly realize what spacing you'll need.

4142336541_9f7963cdbe_o.jpg

Draw circles, radius equals selected parallel line distances from the base line. Where circle intersects line (at two points) place a dot at each intersecting point for line/ circle pair only.

4143091016_3d3f1787dd_o.jpg

Finish intersection and dot placements.

spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4143090014_7f211cb145.jpg

Remove circles. :twothumbs

spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4143088998_ebf36a594f.jpg

Remove parallel lines. Connect the dots, In CAD use spline or polyline function. By hand, connect the dots using a 'french' curve, finished.
You can also just copy and paste this curve and zoom in and out to get the right size. Rotate profile to make the 3-D reflector.

I hope this helps. I am working on new designs all the time!:twothumbs

© All rights reserved.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs On several nights, throughout the next three weeks, I will be using the 24 inch homemade searchlight LightSward with the 100 watt HID 13 mm arc length bulb, (maybe able to use the 400 watt HID too, if the extension cords can handle it.) at a Charity Christmas tree lot on T.V. HWY and 170th in Aloha, Oregon. Also, joining LightSward, the 35 watt HID converted Cyclops will help entice customers in to buy a tree. We did a test run, Sunday night, and it grabbed a lot of attention. Hopefully these Searchlights will increase our sales.:popcorn::candle: (The tree lot does not draw much attention, so anything will help.)

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:grin2: I did a test run tonight...ready for the tree lot now. Some good beam shots, the video might have turned out well. I'll post in the next few days.:wave:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thumbsup: Here are some recent photos and a video of the 100 watt HID version of the 24 inch LightSward on it's rotating/ panning platform, powered by an old bicycle and fan motor.

Video of panning mechanism test.

This video shows the 24 inch searchlight outfitted with a 100 watt medium arc length HID bulb, and the rotate/ pan feature tested, for show at a charity Christmas Tree Lot. The air is very humid with a low level cloud cover maybe 300 to 400 feet above ground level.

100 wt HID 24 incher photo
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4161534775_fdd271e456.jpg

24 inch 100 watt version of the LightSward homemade searchlight shines overhead in good searchlight atmospheric conditions. This actual photo, is slightly dimmer than the adjacent photo, derived from the same camera in video mode.

100 wt HID 24 incher video shot
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4162293486_6e407e3d11.jpg

This photo show the light beam more like it actually is, but blurry, because it is derived from the video mode.

Side by Side video vs. still photo same beam shot
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4161534221_c436fd9926.jpg

This photo shows a still picture derived from a video, that shows more of the actual brightness compared to a higher quality photo that is dimmer than real.

This has been real fun using this at a Charity Christmas Fund Raiser. The 100 watt HID medium arc length bulb makes fro a nice narrow beam. The 400 watt is much brighter(8,000 lumens vs. 33,000 lumens [go figure the much higher efficiency factor]):crackup::candle::laughing: :grin2: , but because of the much longer arc length, makes a thicker beam.

The tree lot has been closing kind of early because of attendant shortages, so I have not been able to shine it as much as I'd like. Next few weeks, the searchlight should be on more often and the power supply may allow me to place the 400 watt HID bulb in it.

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just purchased a Gear Motor that takes the place of most of the bike panning mechanism used on this light. I still have to create some mechanical links and all to produce the desired motion, but at least I should be able to put the whole thing on the front seat of my car and not have to use the bike rack. The whole thing should have a nice compact look and be adaptable to the other Searchlights; ( 50 inch "Monster" and the 36 inch "Gorilla" now in the design phase):thinking::twothumbs:candle::cool::naughty:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
:popcorn: I have completed a 'rotating' set-up to revolve my various searchlights, including the 24 inch 'LightSward'. It uses parts from the original bike panning mechanism, only now it fits in a much smaller box, (about 30" long x 24" wide and about 8" high). The searchlight sits on top of a cradle that rotates. I got some good photos of the searchlight rotating on this new rotating mechanism, using a new temporary night camera, (until I get a good SLR adjustable).

I will posts some photos with my temporary fill-in, new camera in the next few days.:whistle:

Last edited:

LightSward

Flashlight Enthusiast
Video of new rotating mechanism :whistle: (click image for video)

:candle:

Video of new rotating mechanism. Many parts came from the bike mechanism. Eventually the bike wheel and coffee can will be replaced by actual gears.

Beam shines from Christmas tree lot
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4198927629_36bb20b578.jpg

Beam, appears blue in this shot from 100 watt HID 24 inch LightSward, shines from Christmas tree lot over busy intersection.

100 watt HID, 24 inch searchlight on new gear box
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4199680732_26ab15f9cd.jpg

100 watt HID, 24 inch LightSward searchlight warms-up on new gear box.

Beam shot from LightSward
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4199680892_54f257fd4e.jpg

Beam shot appears white, in this photo, from 100 watt HID, LightSward, shows beam shining away; into the night sky

Searchlight beams light up the sky
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4198927187_940889e00d.jpg

The beams from the 100 watt HID, 24 inch LightSward to our left, and 7 inch 35 watt HID Cyclops searchlights shine through thin, night fog, look like Light Sabers.

Beam Shot at Christmas tree lot
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4198992127_55175a30e8.jpg

The beam appears blue in this photo of the 24 inch 100 watt HID LightSward searchlight, as it shines over Christmas tree lot.

Beam rotates over intersection
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4199681464_c8fe9833ca.jpg

Blue Beam, from 24 inch 100 watt LightSward, shines from Christmas tree lot and rotates over busy intersection. Searchlight is actually plugged into the 110 volt plug located at the parking lot light base!

Searchlighrt beams light up the sky
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4199681272_c5649e0e6a.jpg

The beams from the 100 watt HID, 24 inch LightSward to our right, this time, and 7 inch 35 watt Cyclops searchlights shine through thin, night fog.

100 watt HID, 24 inch LightSward searchlight beam shot
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif
spaceout.gif

4198926655_f5028924cb.jpg

Beam appears blue from 100 watt HID, 24 inch LightSward searchlight beam, (shot during thin fog and rain).

Click on image for rotating video >

Rotating beam shots from the 24 inch LightSward searchlight

This video shows the 24 inch homemade LightSward rotating on it's new gear box.

Hopefully a 1000 watt HID medium to small arc light and/ or decent camera, will arrive soon.:twothumbs

Last edited:

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new gear box looks nice.
By the way, I've come across a ~12" parabolic reflector. I need to come by and try out some of your different bulbs sometime. :devil: