Hoverboard battery explodes while charging

eosoban

Newly Enlightened
I noticed that on Amazon they sell a spare 36V battery which is rated for a current draw of 10 amps maximum... but the motors are rated for an output of 2x250 W, so their combined maximum output would be 500 W, which makes them draw even more from the battery... but the battery is only rated at 360 W maximum output! Granted, this is only the peak output... if you're only rolling on the flat, you will maybe use 100 or 130 watts, but when climbing hills, you may exceed the maximum rated output of the battery for a longer time.

Borad

Enlightened
Amazing there was a UL sticker on the thing. :mad:

I've wanted to look up whether a product is really UL listed too. The current stickers have holograms. I have a file of notes on my computer and one of them is:

UL Listed products:

Go to www.UL.com and click on 'Online Certification Directory' at the bottom of the page in the right hand column. This will pull up a search window with multiple options. Or go directly to http://database.ul.com/cgi-bin/XYV/template/LISEXT/1FRAME/index.html

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worse than the fire in the OP, a hoverboard fire recently destroyed a million dollar home in Nashville:

gy5eT.jpg

Last edited:

phillyb

Newly Enlightened
Scary stuff, I read that some are not balancing the packs, and using questionable batteries in the first place.

blaw

Newly Enlightened
They are incredibly fun to ride. Yes, there are some problems with the batteries at initial stage. But, now manufacturer have rectified the faults of previous units
& released UL certified models.So purchase only UL certified Hoverboard models.

Razor, Hoverzon, segway Inc and Phunkee tree are manufacturer of Hoverboard.

Go ride and enjoy!!!!

blaw

Newly Enlightened
Amazon [UK] tells customers: Throw away unsafe 'hoverboards'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35109728
In year 2015 there were many cases of explosion of hoverboards.

and Yes I am agree with you, amazon said that to throw hoverboard.

Manufacturer have finally rectified the faults of previous units & released UL certified models.
Now, upcomming models are with lithium battteries, so there is no chance of explosion.

Gauss163

Flashlight Enthusiast
[...] Manufacturer have finally rectified the faults of previous units & released UL certified models.
Now, upcomming models are with lithium battteries, so there is no chance of explosion.

The exploding units also used Li-ion batteries. There will always be risks with such Li-ion battery powered devices (though the risks can be minimized by competent manufacturers).

blaw

Newly Enlightened
The exploding units also used Li-ion batteries. There will always be risks with such Li-ion battery powered devices (though the risks can be minimized by competent manufacturers).
Yes Iam agree with you, there will always be risk with such Li-ion batteries, But today each and every product in the market with batteries are having Li-ion batteries.

Now the batteries used are UL certified and and they are best

Best Hoverboard 2017
are with UL certified batteries

Swagtron T1
Razor 1.0