How can I build a Mag tail switch?

A123Powered

Newly Enlightened
I just got some free time to finish this up. It ain't pretty on the inside, but it works so far (I need to wait for the JB weld to cure before I really test it out). I found an old rainbird sprinkler head that fits the Mag D switch insert perfectly, so I cut it down to fit inside the tailcap and hold the switch (looks nasty in the pic, there was some dirt on a part of it that would not be used anyway):

Here it is cut down:

Then I had to add some solder wick and wire to the bottom to make a good contact with the tailcap which I had removed the anodizing from earlier:

The switch was gluded into the tube from the sprinkler head (I did not glue the black insert to the tailcap since it is pretty tight as is):

and some solder wick made the contact to a cut down Mag C spring:

Now to build a light to use it with (using Plasmaman's P7 Mag for inspiration).

A123Powered

Newly Enlightened
It seems pretty well in there, the insert had to be tapped in with a hammer so it is tight. The problem was getting a good contact with the tailcap so I had to stuff some more solder wick in there. I JB welded the switch to the insert and also the spring so they would not fall out. I tested it this morning and it seems to work OK. I would like to find a simple way to illuminate the switch, but that is probably not happening.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was selling the kits for the tailswitches upon request but the hole has to be exactly .650 +/- a few thousands to seat the rubber boot properly so using a drill would be out of the question unless you got real lucky :)

Mac

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found an old rainbird sprinkler head that fits the Mag D switch insert perfectly, so I cut it down to fit inside the tailcap and hold the switch

Haha... I love it! Some of my favorite modding moments come from such discoveries, using random crap from around the house. :thumbsup:

Changchung

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is what you need:
tailswitchparts.jpg

The switch is a judco
http://parts.digikey.com/1/parts/962183-switch-pb-spst-14vdc-10a-40-4525-00.html

The spring is hard to find - it was for me anyway!

The circlips are easy - but NB they are different diameters. The contact board and switch retaining flange are simple to make.

Nice idea with the D switch insert, but tricky to mount in the tailcap and too tall??

Hi, can you explain a little how to put the pieces togueter??? Thanks... :twothumbs

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully someone will kit these, I could use them occasionally.

I could never find the right hole saw to cut the slug.

plasmaman, did you hand make that kit pictured, or do you need a lathe, mill? Did you make any extra? :poke:

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast

plasmaman, did you hand make that kit pictured, or do you need a lathe, mill? Did you make any extra? :poke:

What he said and one more: :poke:

Sharing is caring.......:D

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
...I could never find the right hole saw to cut the slug......
When I made mine, I just used the next largest hole saw and hand filed the PCB to fit. I used a dremel sanding drum to remove most of the material but finished it with a hand file, test fitting it as I went. One of the tricks Iused was using double sided tape to fix a washer on top of the PCB. For the MagD, a 1.25" washer is an almost perfect fit. Just sand down to the edge of the washer and very little tweaking with the file will have it drop right in to the normal tailspring groove, which is how I built mine. A little more sanding would be needed to fit down inside the tailcap like the kit shown does. For a MagC, a 1" washer is a little oversize and needs a fair amount of sanding down befrore it will fit.

cmacclel

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was selling the kits minus the switch boot for $15.

Mac