How do you get your drinking water?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I squeeze lemon juice from lemons into my water.
If that has sugar in it, then this world can go to Hell!

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Btw are water from tap is wierd here it is so hard to get soap off ya body when ya shower here .I was told it's hard water or soft I forgot

sajohnson

Newly Enlightened
Btw are water from tap is wierd here it is so hard to get soap off ya body when ya shower here .I was told it's hard water or soft I forgot

What you describe is generally because the water has been run through a water softener.

It is a strange feeling, not being able to rinse soap off completely.

I spent a month working on a Tribune, Kansas wheat farm. Dusty, dusty, dusty work. I'd shower every night. Never did get used to the water. It was kinda like one of those prank videos where someone keeps pouring shampoo on yer head.

TPA

Enlightened
On a related note, in my experience, RO is so pure it strips the saliva from your mouth. It is not refreshing. You end up with dry mouth and drinking more doesn't help. Maybe that's not always the case?
Multiple cities around here supply RO water to taps. I've not paid much attention to it other than I know the RO water seems to create pinhole leaks in copper supply lines. Not ideal.

Are them flavor enhancers safe the ones that you open and put in water ? There powder and sugar free they come lie 5 per box orbsomething
NO. In fact, my GP tells all of his patients, including diabetics, to avoid any of the fake sugars, even diabetics. He has some science behind his thoughts, including a couple of medical studies which show diet sodas are worse for obesity and diabetes than the high-fructose-loaded regular stuff.

sajohnson

Newly Enlightened
Multiple cities around here supply RO water to taps. I've not paid much attention to it other than I know the RO water seems to create pinhole leaks in copper supply lines. Not ideal.

NO. In fact, my GP tells all of his patients, including diabetics, to avoid any of the fake sugars, even diabetics. He has some science behind his thoughts, including a couple of medical studies which show diet sodas are worse for obesity and diabetes than the high-fructose-loaded regular stuff.

Pinhole leaks in copper pipe are usually due to acidic/low ph water. It is unrelated to the RO system(s).

raggie33

*the raggedier*

Dang everything I enjoy is bad for me lol but today I'm down to 153. But maybe that's just sweat lol been riding a lot wanna weigh 135 or what ever is bmi like 20

iacchus

Enlightened
On a related note, in my experience, RO is so pure it strips the saliva from your mouth. It is not refreshing. You end up with dry mouth and drinking more doesn't help. Maybe that's not always the case?

I spoke with a tech at Omni Filter about that, and he confirmed that it can be a problem -- he said they periodically test their various filtration systems and none of the employees like the water from Omni's RO system.

There are some very good carbon filters on the market. Except for unusual situations, they are more than adequate.
An RO system should really have a remineralizer in-line afterwards to add back in some dissolved solids if you're not using it for specialized reasons (like labwork). This will get it to taste right and can be dialed in to preference.

Generally speaking, granulated activated carbon is good for removing VOAs, SVOAs, some PFAS/PFOA, chlorine from public water sources, sediment and can improve taste, odor, and sometimes color.

GAC isn't useful for removing metals, nitrates/nitrites, dissolved minerals, or bacteria. For those you need RO (and bacteria really should have an additional layer of treatment).

If you end up w/ an RO system, having a micron filter/GAC setup in-line beforehand is cheap enough to add on.

If tannins are an issue, there needs to be a modified water softener setup in-line before the RO, otherwise you will never get the proper life from the RO membrane. The tannins will just chew through it in no time.

Tannins are a pain in the neck to deal with.

Before anyone settles on a filtration system, a comprehensive water test really should be done so they don't buy something they don't need or miss something they do.

Rossymeister

Enlightened
GAC isn't useful for removing metals, nitrates/nitrites, dissolved minerals, or bacteria. For those you need RO (and bacteria really should have an additional layer of treatment).

Would DI media remove any of those besides minerals?

iacchus

Enlightened
Would DI media remove any of those besides minerals?
De-ionozation generally removes any ionized minerals/salts. Not useful for bacteria, metals, or organic volatile/semi-volatile compounds (your HAAs, trihalomethans, thalates, etc).

DI water isn't great as a source of drinking water though. You want some minerals in there. I'm not fully behind the old saw that millipure water is dangerous to drink, but it certainly isn't great for a default source of water around the house. Over time it will likely leach minerals from your body. What timeframe? It depends, but I see no health benefits to outweigh the downsides.

Last edited: