How good is the Kershaw Ken Onion Blur?

subinoob

Newly Enlightened
I have owned my blur for the last 4 years and edc it for the first 2 until I bought my first auto knife and just lost interest in the blur but I still have it.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is an old thread but I had to chime in on this one. The Blur is a benchmark mid sized assisted folder. Ken Onions ergonomic design of both the handle and the blade as well as the speed safe system itself are on prime display with the Blur. I liked the Blur so much I ended up with 6 of them. Today, years after its release its still one of Kershaws best sellers. The ergonomics are still great, the slight recurve of the blade edge still works as intended and the blade still shoots out of the handle as well as when I got them. The S30V Blur came out of the box with the sharpest factory edge I have ever seen I dont know how they did it.

Times changed rapidly along with the Blurs release and still successful run. The overbuilt trend kicked in and all the sudden the Blur looks thin and weak compared to the tsunami of overbuilt folder that came to market over the years. Ken Onion took care of that with the Zero Tolerance 0350 which is an up sized blur with thicker liners etc. then of course there is the too big 300 series. Many have argued over what model is actually the Blurs successor despite Onion himself saying its the 0350. Many say its the Knockout because it has the same thumb studs as the Blur some say its the Piston now people say its the new Camber despite the fact Onion did not design it. Camber is totally outstanding btw,

To sum up the Blur is still a top shelf mid size assisted knife today just as much as it was upon release. There are the uber rare cpm154 Blurs floating around but prices are sky high. If youre gonna get a Blur get the S30V version.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the Kershaw Leek and Blur. Got one from USA Made Blade. Someone gave me a Leek as a gift. It was my first Ker. That got me thinking I want to try another Ker. Once I held the Blur in all Black, I was in love! You know you are holding a tool. I highly recommend it if you want a 4 oz knife that is ready to work.

The Leek feels light weight and the tip, to me, is the weak point. I slightly bent mine right after I got it. I don't even know how I did it. However, with a little work and fine stone I got it back in line. So, anyone interested in the Leek, just be aware if you plan some heavy use, it probably isn't for you. I would call it a "Gentleman's" knife, if you will. I find it much lighter & thinner than the Blur. It will disappear in your pockets. Where as the Blur, you know you have it in your pocket. Also on the Leek: it has a cheesy plastic safety gizmo that you can slide to make sure the blade is locked in the closed position. I find this is kinda flimsy and comes loose. So, to solve that I slid it out of the way of the blade and screwed it down tight. So now, no more safety feature, but I haven't had a issue with it accidentally opening. And I have carried it a ton! BTW: The thing flings open with the authority of a switchblade.
You want"
Working blade: Go with the Blur and you can work it hard with no worries or regrets. Blur = cut yellow or white plastic straps off of crates.
Classy office blade: Go with the Leek and enjoy a sleek razor sharp needle point blade. Leek = cut open the manifest envelope from said crate! lol

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few Kershaws and love the Leek.I considered the Blur but I always thought the liner lock seemed a little on the weak side for the size of the knife and have seen some complaints about it.Otherwise it seems like a great knife.Anybody had any trouble with the lock failing while the knife was open?

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
never had a lock fail on any of my Blur's. Took a couple apart and made Frankenblurs. For general purpose tasks the Blur is outstanding. Ive seen vids of people spine whacking their Blurs until the lock fails thus they consider it a bad knife. As far as I know you dont cut with a knife by holding it blade up or whacking its spine upside down. I have actually tried this and none of them failed. None of my blurs have ever failed.

If you do not feel safe with the Blur's liner lock get for a few bucks more a ZT 0350. It is basically a scaled up Blur I have 3. Favorite is my exclusive 0350 with M390 blade. The lock on the 0350 is nice and thick never had any of them fail on my either.

I carried a Leek for a couple years. As long as you remember to lock the blade shut you will be fine if you dont and that thing goes off in your pocket you are going to have a very bad day.

Its strange. A couple of years ago a certain retailer had a limited run G10/S30V/Wharncliffe Leek for roughly $170. Now they go for up to $300

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
never had a lock fail on any of my Blur's. Took a couple apart and made Frankenblurs. For general purpose tasks the Blur is outstanding. Ive seen vids of people spine whacking their Blurs until the lock fails thus they consider it a bad knife. As far as I know you dont cut with a knife by holding it blade up or whacking its spine upside down. I have actually tried this and none of them failed. None of my blurs have ever failed.

If you do not feel safe with the Blur's liner lock get for a few bucks more a ZT 0350. It is basically a scaled up Blur I have 3. Favorite is my exclusive 0350 with M390 blade. The lock on the 0350 is nice and thick never had any of them fail on my either.

I carried a Leek for a couple years. As long as you remember to lock the blade shut you will be fine if you dont and that thing goes off in your pocket you are going to have a very bad day.

Its strange. A couple of years ago a certain retailer had a limited run G10/S30V/Wharncliffe Leek for roughly $170. Now they go for up to $300

I have the G10/S30V/Random Leek (it was under $100) but didn't get in on the standard blade model.I was looking at the Leek and Blur in ELMAX but they are long gone now as well and I am not willing to pay collector prices.Never had a Leek flip open in my pocket but the standard stainless handle model worked out of my pocket a couple times and flipped open when it fell.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
this thread has made me dig out a couple FrankenBlurs I stopped mid project. Need to order some steel stand offs as I lost the old ones but Blur is still a light weight almost do it all wonder. Still worth the price charged.