The Largest Swiss Army Knife I Have Ever Seen!

Varnakov222

Newly Enlightened
I have a Swiss Army knife that you can see in the attachment.

Now different classes of this knife are identified by how thick they are in between each of the two red sides, with the Swiss cross on one side.

Now the question I have is about 10 or 15 years ago I saw what was obviously a rare special edition Swiss Army Knife.

This thing was literally one foot thick with hundreds of individual tools packed into it.

Now, the sides of this "supertool" were the same size as any class of Swiss Army Knife, but the thickness blew me away.

First of all, was this thing real or was it some kind of photoshop?

If it is real, has anyone seen it before, or does someone actually have it?

I believe it was for sale online, but I have never seen so much as a Google image of it since I saw it for the first time.

Attachments

• 20230705_163215.jpg
    20230705_163215.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 165

Varnakov222

Newly Enlightened
Well, after some research, the original retail price on this beast was $1,300, however, it was discontinued a long time ago.

The only online merchant that currently has them for sale is Ebay, ranging from $9,000 to $5,000.

Cost prohibitive!

But I would love to get my hands on even a worn out and incomplete version of this thing someday.

Is there a variant of Wenger or Victorinox that is larger than my Champ XAVT, but smaller than the Wenger Giant?

The only way I could ever think about owning one of these, it would have to be sold without the box, have clearly visible wear and tear, and there will have to be a number of attachments that are missing like tweezers, or screwdriver heads.

If you or someone you know has a Wenger Giant that fits this profile, and may be willing to sell, I would be happy to continue this conversation in the classifieds.

I have got to get the price down to three digits, not four.

Does anyone know how many of these units were actually manufactured?

Being a rare special edition, this number could be one thousand, or mabey five hundred.

Last edited:
Holy S**T!

I forgot that the Swiss Army Knife is actually made by two companies, Wenger being one of them!

No wonder why I could never find this thing online, I didn,'t have the right search words!

Thanks!
You're welcome! I remember seeing a Giant on display in a cutlery shop in a mall. I secretly wanted one for myself…

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Can confirm, Victorinox bought Wenger quite awhile back. At first satisfied to let them operate with their own models and logo. That didn't last too long though. Victorinox put their logo on the Wenger models. Swapped out certain Wenger tools on those models with their versions. (Most notably the traditional Wenger can-opener tool being replaced with Victorinox's more modern Push-forward can-opener design.) Generally you can I.D. those older Wenger models because they're now part of Victorinox's Delemont collection. (With most but not all incorporating the word "Evolution" in the product description.)

Picked up a RangerGrip 78 several days back to assemble a Survival kit in a small pot/large mug. Fantastic knife for outdoors use. Bigger and a bit beefier than I thought it would be. Apparently a green-handled version is the pocket-knife of choice for all the survival instructors at the Pathfinder School. Yup, used to be a Wenger model.

Nowadays the only place you see the old Wenger logo is on backpacks. Ironically, the vast majority of models are specifically designed for the Urban jungle. Not too bad. But with normal daily use they tend to wear out surprisingly quickly. You might get about 2 years of use if your lucky, assuming you load the bags to full capacity. Stitching just doesn't hold up over the long haul.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I do plan on soon replacing the one I'm currently using as my Work-bag.
It won't be with another Wenger branded model.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's a pretty neat website that has detailed info on just about every Victorinox, Wenger, and leatherman ever made. It should keep you occupied for about 6 months to 2 years.
How long did it keep you busy? ;)