How many flashlight brands are there?

Buff

Enlightened
As i search and read the plethora of info on this huge forum i realized there must be at least a half dozen main brand names/manufactures of flashlights? Shirley when i say half a dozen i jest!
Are there sub forums for those companies on here?
Or y'all can just start rattling off the brands and i'll take notes. 🖊️ 📝
Knowledge is power!
Buff

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Here's a start, it's just what this one supplier carries. There are MANY more;

There are a handful of sub-forums here for brands:

Buff

Enlightened
Ok whatever language you are speaking in.
Seriously as a newbie there have been post that reminded me of when i was really young and tried to read big books with long words i could barely pronounce and certainly did not know their definition. I have a lot to learn and try to understand.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Back in 2022 a Russian told me about high CRI and I didn't understand. Then I bought some lights featuring LEDs that were high CRI such as Maglite Spectrum or the Apollo penlight and they were warm like incans.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some translation:
- You have 3 types of beam tint. Cool, warm, neutral. A light bulb with a low battery is very warm. A really white beam is cool. Neutral is in between. Those are based off the Kelvin scale usually between 2700 kelvin and 6500 kelvin.

- CRI refers to how acurate a particular tint gets colors like reds, blues and greens. The higher the number the more acurate it is said to be. Color Rendition Index. Usually 70's to 90's.

- Three kinds of beams. Thrower, Flooder and combination. Thrower is like an old Maglite that lights up a narrow area a long ways off. LEP are the new super throwers. Flooder is a wide beam about the same brightness all the way across. There are lights called COB (chip on board) that are pure flood. A combination beam is like a conical shaped beam that reaches out a ways but reaches out to the sides with side lighting called spill.

A candela rating is a good indicator as to what kind of beam it has. I have a Pelican 100 lumen with 19,000 candela and a 175 lumen with 9,000 candella. The 19,000 cd beam (thrower) stretches out a football field but fairly narrow like a snoot. Very little spill. The 9,000 cd (combination) one lights up my path the width of my peripheral vision but only about 35 yards long.

Here's a great site to gain a sense of what options are available.
Click on brand to start.

Last edited:

Buff

Enlightened
@bykfixer thanks so much. I learned something very interesting.
As I read I learn. CRI is in the bucket.
I was trying to figure out UI the guessed User Info. Close but no cigar User Interface i read in a thread some place.
I ordered a Manker E14 IV and the few places(Maratac was one) it showed a Flood at 4000lumen Then on YouTube the guy said 2000 and thats when i learned it came in cool 4000lu and neutral at 2000lu. So when i ordered i read the info and the only option at Maratac was cool 4000 which was the one i wanted.
So so much to learn and i like that!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
@bykfixer thanks so much. I learned something very interesting.
As I read I learn. CRI is in the bucket.
I was trying to figure out UI the guessed User Info. Close but no cigar User Interface i read in a thread some place.
I ordered a Manker E14 IV and the few places(Maratac was one) it showed a Flood at 4000lumen Then on YouTube the guy said 2000 and thats when i learned it came in cool 4000lu and neutral at 2000lu. So when i ordered i read the info and the only option at Maratac was cool 4000 which was the one i wanted.
So so much to learn and i like that!
We like helping you spend your money.
IMG_5850.gif