How many lights do we really need, NOT WANT

aramid

Newly Enlightened
I need two. I have more, but none just sit on the shelf; they've all got specific purposes and most get used once a week or so (I actually get irritated if I own something like a flashlight which doesn't have a specific purpose, and avoid buying new lights when there's not a new need).

1) 4Sevens Q MiNi CR2 in my pocket at all times. This sees frequent use, and could technically meet all my needs. It's plenty bright and it's always at hand.
2) Surefire G2 with LED drop-in in my glovebox, in case of emergencies. I live in the Midwest, so it's nice to have a reliable, lithium-powered (it gets cold in winter) light with better runtime than the MiNi.
3) Fenix E01 by my bed. Gives me something easily accessible if I need to get up and move around during a power outage. I'm generally either wearing pants or in bed, so between this and the Q MiNi I'm covered for emergency lights around the house.
4) Ridgid 12v LED light in my toolbox. If I'm doing work around the house there's no point running batteries through any of my other lights when this one takes cordless drill packs and runs for 12 hours.
5) Mini Mag with red Nite-Ize upgrade in my flight bag (I'm a pilot) in case the cockpit lighting fails. It's appropriately bright, doesn't kill night vision, and runs for ages.
6) Energizer Hard Case 2D on the shelf in the house. I use this for general tasks, and it's nice to have in case of a long power outage since it runs for 18 hours on cheap batteries. I could easily do without this light, but I love the absurdly solid construction and since I can find uses for it I'll bend my rules for this one.
7) $3.50 6v lantern for fishing. It's big and easy to manipulate with messy hands. It's cheap so I don't care what happens to it. It floats (although it's not waterproof...). I suppose I could replace this with the Energizer, giving it purpose while also getting rid of my only incandescent.

I definitely don't understand the oft-mentioned need for multiple EDC or backup lights, though. To me, the light is the backup. Barring Armageddon, the chances I'll need a light, and the one available to me will be nonfunctional, are miniscule.

Seven lights is still a huge number compared to average people, of course - plenty of households have a single $2 Eveready if they have anything at all. However, you could take away all of my lights except for the Q MiNi and the red Mini Mag, and I'd barely notice. All of the other lights are only used occasionally. The Q Mini is used daily, and the Mini Mag has never been used, but is a vitally important piece of safety equipment.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
LOL!

As for the thread question - to be truly serious the answer is zero.

Since I'm not a caver, LEO, etc it's pretty hard to imagine a situation where "No Flashlight = I am completely 100% screwed".

Of course that doesn't mean I never hit situations of "I am GLAD I carry a flashlight".....

I'm coming over to your house tonight . . . and disabling your fuse box. :p

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
My analysis says we need no fewer than 3 lights per room and car. Plus at least 3 each lanterns and headlamps. This is the minimum a flashaholic can survive on, though I fear such withdrawal would bring many to wailing and gnashing of teeth. :eek:

Geoff

scout24

Flashaholic
Crumpling flashaholism up into a ball for a few minutes, I could get by with two. My Titan, LOW flood up to 80 lumens, dial in more or less as necessary. Works as a keychain light, and gets the lion's share of my minutes. I use it every morning to get ready for work without waking the Mrs, the lowest of lows is just perfect. Never needed more light in the dark house than this can put out. My Haiku XP-G, 10 lumens forever, especially with my AA tube. 190 lumens of fill-the-yard-light when needed. Bombproof. Simple. Elegant. Perhaps a backup for each, or a lower budget variant- T1A, and a Ra/HDS Clicky. I own all of these, and if need be, could get by with only these two if I had to. Either version. What fun would that be though???:rolleyes: Gotta have lights for looking for other lights, ones with different tints for different circumstances, headlamps and throwers, oh my...:twothumbs I insist on the Titan or T1A, the UI and ability to seamlessly go from 0-80 with a twist beats the focus and tint lottery, both of which can be addressed by our wonderful modders. If you have doubts, I have a T1A loaner that may make you a believer. PM me for a test drive... There is not a more useful, intuitive, ergonomic light out there IMHO, issues aside.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Realistically, probably about 5.

A pocket light for each of us, a larger/brighter light for spotting things outdoors, a lantern for power outages, and a low output light for nature calls in the middle of the night.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm...when I think about it, I only really need two lights:

1. Small EDC light. I like 2 AA lights the best for this.
2. Back up small EDC light. I like to have the same number and type of batteries in my back up EDC light as my main EDC light.

For 99.99 of my daily flashlight use the above two are all that I need. The rest are just ones that I want, not need.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
How many lights do you need? It depends. For the average person, one is plenty. For law enforcement, public safety, and military personnel, at least two, one primary and one back-up. For high risk situations where loss of light is potentially fatal (such as caving) then three is the minimum.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really need?

Mmm...at leat two EDC's of both AA and CR123 format, one super thrower, one super flooder, one in between and a couple of cheapies to lend to people.

So that's at least 10.

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm , neeeeed ?

You dont neeeeed any what so ever ...

For millions of years man did ok without flashlights ... We didnt die out or anything , in fact we seemed to have thrived in the dark :D

:shakehead

Now if you want to talk about want !

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Six.

One on the keychain

One EDC (with a backup)

One work light (with a backup)

One "large" light capable of huge output, long runtime, or both.

morelightnow

Enlightened
I actually can't stand having too many lights because I hate having to charge all the batteries. I'd rather spend my time using them or doing something else, so my goal is only around 4 lights total. Right now two of them use the same batteries which means I only have three different battery types and I'm trying to get that down to two.

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Hmmmm , neeeeed ?

You dont neeeeed any what so ever ...

For millions of years man did ok without flashlights ... We didnt die out or anything , in fact we seemed to have thrived in the dark :D

:shakehead

Now if you want to talk about want !

That's pretty much why I stated "zero".

But there's sure been a zillion times where having a flashlight made things a LOT more pleasant.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Ok here we go:

1 - for keychain light.
2 - for work.
1 - for bling.

That's all the light I have now.

jtblue

Newly Enlightened
I only "needed" one light and thats my Eveready Dolphin Mk6, I used it to find my dog when it walked out one night (left the garage door open :oops:) and one time when I went camping in an extremely open area with no lighting.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keychain AAA light
EDC AA light
Tool light (2AA)
Helmet light (1AA)
Thrower/long runtime emergency light

Specialty lights (red/green/UV etc)

In a given month, I use 4 flashlights.

Keychain
AA EDC
Tool light
Helmet light

Since I've been on CPF for 8 years--have plenty of lights laying around so the long runtime thing is not really needed. Fire up another light!