How Many Lumens Does the Sun Produce

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
Black hole shrunk down to hand held size. with quantum singularity or stable worm hole in the center. then you could could suck in all the available light in certain galaxy's and put it out the front of your hand held light..:popcorn:
Although gravity would b a problem..you may spontaneusly occupy every point and place in time in the known universe. but then everybody would get to c your light.
Just throwin around idea's

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The sun is yellow because of the absorbtion in the atmosphere: It absorbs more blue than red.. Thats why the sun becomes red when its about to set..

Regards,

Ra.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ra said:
The sun is yellow because of the absorbtion in the atmosphere: It absorbs more blue than red.. Thats why the sun becomes red when its about to set..

Regards,

Ra.
The sun does look yellow though due to the brain's ability to white-balance, in contrast with the bluer sky. However, if the sun is compared to artificial light sources, it is almost always "cooler". At most times of the day, for example, even "cool white" fluorescent lamps that are on either outside, or near a window, look yellowish compared to their surroundings. Incan lamps are a very strong "peach" color when visible in broad daylight.

EricB

Enlightened
So if the sun is really that white, what are "white" stars (like white dwarfs), then? Are they really bluish, and therefore appear to us "whiter" than the sun? I have heard that "blue" stars are the color of the highest color temperature LED's.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
EricB said:
So if the sun is really that white, what are "white" stars (like white dwarfs), then?
White dwarfs I believe are similar to our sun in color, the difference is that Are they really bluish, and therefore appear to us "whiter" than the sun? I have heard that "blue" stars are the color of the highest color temperature LED's.
Here is a wikipedia on the classification of stars, including one by temperature. According to the chart "white" stars would actually appear significantly bluish, and "blue" stars emit mostly UV.

I think one thing about the sun is that most people generally only look at it right before it is about to set, which is when it appears orange due to it passing through so much of the atmosphere.

RipplesOfLife

Newly Enlightened
Hm...,

1. How big is the sun?
-It is much bigger than earth.

2. How bright is the sun?
-Very bright.

3. Can we produce light that is as bright, or brighter than the sun?
-Sure, why not?
-But..., I think no matter how bright of a light we can produce, it can hardly surpass what the sun does, and that is light up half the earth. And remember, only a tiny portion of the sun's light hits us (I think that's true).

Imagine if there was a reflector behind the sun... Now that would a bright flashlight.

Oznog

Enlightened
Re: How Many Lumens Does the Sun Produce?

Yea, but just look at how YELLOW the SUN is!

I will wait for the LED version to come out, now THAT will be bright!

I'm not happy with the quality of light from this sun, it's too far into the yellow range. I prefer a warm white or at least a cool white, do you have any info on when the sun will offer those options? I don't know what their marketing people are thinking only coming out with a yellow-white and trying to stick with it for like billions of years.

Ra

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm not happy with the quality of light from this sun, it's too far into the yellow range. I prefer a warm white or at least a cool white, do you have any info on when the sun will offer those options? I don't know what their marketing people are thinking only coming out with a yellow-white and trying to stick with it for like billions of years.

The sun is quite yellow because of the blue-absorbing atmosphere, the blue light is scattered all over the sky! The more atmosphere between you and the sun, the more red the sun will be, like close to sunset or just after sunrise..

Klimb the Mount Everest on a sunny summers-day: You'll find a much, much whiter sun up there!!

Best,

Ra.

Torchguy

Newly Enlightened

Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but. . . I'm trying to find out whether the latest LEDs approach, or surpass, the brightness of the sun for the equivalent surface area?

Some of the current LEDs like the XHP35 are producing ridiculous amounts of light (around 2,600 lumens) considering how tiny their area is - does this come close to the equivalent surface area of the sun?

TIA

maukka

Enlightened

Sun's illuminance on earth reaches about 100k lux. That's easily achievable with powerful thrower (>500k cd) from 2 meters away.