How to turn night into day?

kodama

Newly Enlightened
Cone hat with a 5lb ball of LIT magnesium on top?

Fixed :thumbsup:. I like this idea best and would be the most economical!

Bundesarchiv_Bild_102-12062_Wasserr.jpg

cityevader

Enlightened
I first thought that a powerful sun-like omni-directional light would be ideal, but I think if it were possible to suspend the light by a giant balloon or something high enough.

In wooded areas, this may be impractical, but the distances would be short so omnidirectional lightly might be good enough.

You can still go walking through the city with your balloon light. :candle:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
perhaps doc. oct is on hard economic times and you can pay him to carry his small sun around behind you? short of that i don't know where you can economically summon that much light

new-b

Newly Enlightened
Why don't you just use a Quark mini 123 and point it where you want it to go!

Sorry, all the math above made it sound like my idea is the easiest!

GMLRS

Newly Enlightened
You need a jump starter. 2200 amp Die Hard, 12 volts for starting cars.
Some have built in 120volt 60Hz inverters.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...oosters&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a

BE VERY CAREFUL it can be very dangerous (dew and moisture also) I use mine for emergency lighting, 12 volt fans, radios,TVs. also has inflater compressor,and usb charger.

Its must always be charged after use, a car can charge it too.

Your choices for lighting are only limited by your wallet, the internet and your imagination

rolling

Enlightened

It's called the 'Karl Gustav'.
A 84mm Grenadelauncher that we used in the Bundeswehr to illuminate the Battlefield. It shoots magnesium flares attached to a parachute.

GMLRS

Newly Enlightened
On my CPF profile, when asked what is your favorite non incandescent light, my answer was, a nine inch diameter illumination rocket. and favorite manufacturer was aerojet.

When they breakdown in a off road race, they bring enough tools to remove a tire and put their magnesium engine blocks on their tires and the tire fire will ignite the magnesium. Its probably bright enough to blind you.

I always have some magnesium welding rods stored away somewhere. Theyre really safe unless you light them on fire.

Mike V

Enlightened
Here is a 100,000 watt light called a SoftSun mounted to a portable construction crane.

It runs from batteries on a small trolley.

100k_softsun.jpg

swbluto

Newly Enlightened
I've seen "night turn into day" when lightning bolts flash during thunderstorms.

Good idea! Now I just need to find 1.21 Gigawatts! I think that's comes to about 40 mega-watthours of high C lipo assuming 30C. At $400,000 per mega-watt-hour, that's only $16,000,000. Now I just need to find a way to safely generate 100,000,000 volts up in the sky.

Actually, this gives me a good idea. I'd imagine that "flashing" or "pulsing" would be more effective the light the bright is, and that run time could be increased extensively by using a 10% duty rate or something. This might also reduce the load on the batteries and could reduce the battery capacity demands. I don't think HID could be pulsed though, so it seems like it'll probably need tons of LEDs = $$$.

Last edited:

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
nicholae tesla designed a machine capable of making lightning...i think they built one out in colorado and got lightning to strike several miles away (tesla coil) again the portability issue, and the ozone smell, and regular ole air makes a purplish tint most of the time, not very bright

Magic Matt

Enlightened
I'd imagine that "flashing" or "pulsing" would be more effective

Not really, no. Too slow and you see it as a strobe effect (can make you feel quite ill). Pulsing at high speed is one method of dimming a light (lookup PWM).

Perhaps if you could get a network of flashguns, and have them all pulse 1/2500th sec apart... you'd need enough of them so that there's enough of them to give the first one a chance to recharge before starting the loop again...

gajslk

Newly Enlightened
A tactical nuke would do it, but not for very long. The good news is that by the time it's dark, you won't care anymore.

Gordon

Hello all, I'm trying to figure what it takes to turn the entire night into day. I don't just mean the area in front, I mean, as if the sun was right above my head and everything in front of me, to the sides, and so on would be immediately visible. Someone claimed this would take roughly 100,000 lumen so what kind of set up would I be looking at that would be the cheapest?

I have a battery pack that can put out 10,000 watts at a time, and it's a battery pack pack, and it seems that it should be possible to get at least 10 lumens/watt from that, so now all I'm looking for is the light. :twothumbs