Waiting impatiently for the night!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I find since i have started using and collecting flashlights that i can hardly wait till it gets dark. Is anyone else in this boat?
Nope! But in my case, only because I work 3rd Shift (Graveyard Shift) on a regular basis, at one of my two full-time jobs. So my lights get a good workout every night. Unfortunately, wait until Summer comes along when the nights are quite a bit shorter. Instead of darkness around 5pm, you have to wait until 7pm. Sometimes even later than that for the Sun to go down. Yes Sir, we Flashaholics tend to love Winter!

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Believe it or not most of my flashlight use is in the daytime unless I'm working at night. Working on roadway projects often leads to peering into dark places like manholes. Over the years my coworkers look at me when they need light. They know I'm carrying.

But yeah, it's fun to play with a variety of flashlights after dark just for the heck of it.

I find since i have started using and collecting flashlights that i can hardly wait till it gets dark. Is anyone else in this boat?
Heck no, It's just you! We also don't look forward to foggy nights where the beam pattern is perfectly visible and then sit outside for a pathologically long time comparing all of our lights! Or so I'm told.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Heck no, It's just you! We also don't look forward to foggy nights where the beam pattern is perfectly visible and then sit outside for a pathologically long time comparing all of our lights! Or so I'm told.
My flashlights love fog! I don't!
My flashlights can reach out hundreds of yards in the fog.
My eyesight cannot.
I know I'm lighting up something hundreds of yards away!
Just no clue what it is!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Nope! But in my case, only because I work 3rd Shift (Graveyard Shift) on a regular basis, at one of my two full-time jobs. So my lights get a good workout every night. Unfortunately, wait until Summer comes along when the nights are quite a bit shorter. Instead of darkness around 5pm, you have to wait until 7pm. Sometimes even later than that for the Sun to go down. Yes Sir, we Flashaholics tend to love Winter!
7:00 pm sunset in the summer? Where are you located at?

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
On Christmas night, I took my Mom for a ride after dark to see the Christmas lights around the area. Of course, I had some primo flashlights in the truck with me.

We have a brand new bridge that crosses the Ohio river. From town, I was lighting up the whole bridge, about a mile down river, with my K75, and was lighting up houses and neighborhoods across the river, with ease. There's one lone house in the woods, way up on the mountain; the K75 beam just lights up the whole house like it's daytime. I wondered if the people inside noticed, and what they were thinking.

There's also a new gaswell derrick across the river, way up on the hill, probably a mile away. I was lighting it up with my M64 and K75 from along the road. The tops of the power plant stacks across the river - all lit up nice and bright.

My TK20R-V2.0 was also doing very well hitting the other side of the river (around 600 yards+). Not quite as tightly focused as the other two, but very impressive for such a small light with a small head.

I still prefer the days when it's still twilight around here at 9:40 PM in June. Eff winter.

Buff

Enlightened
All great comments.👍🏻
I mentioned in another thread i got my son a flashlight for Christmas. Maratac P16 Defender.
Saw him this morning when he came to get his dog and needed my flashlight he handed me his he's carrying with pocket clip. Says he has to charge it almost every day or two? I said really? He said he uses it all day long at work. Mechanic working on FedEx contractors (4) fleet trucks. Guessing 80-90 vehicles give or take. I am ecstatic he is getting a lot of use out of it. Guess i'm getting him a charger and a couple more batteries.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
All great comments.👍🏻
I mentioned in another thread i got my son a flashlight for Christmas. Maratac P16 Defender.
Saw him this morning when he came to get his dog and needed my flashlight he handed me his he's carrying with pocket clip. Says he has to charge it almost every day or two? I said really? He said he uses it all day long at work. Mechanic working on FedEx contractors (4) fleet trucks. Guessing 80-90 vehicles give or take. I am ecstatic he is getting a lot of use out of it. Guess i'm getting him a charger and a couple more batteries.
NOPE! Don't do it! He's a big boy, making good money, let him buy his own d--- charger and batteries! Ya gotta cut him loose sometime, Dad! 🫵 You got him started in the right direction, now let him solo a bit.

Buff

Enlightened
I'm so happy he is using it almost too much. I have several batteries i surely can spare another one. And I'm getting another 4 slot charger so just giving him my old one.
Shame my other son isn't using his at all. Just sitting on our table were he had it after unwrapping it at Christmas. Two boys different as night and day.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm so happy he is using it almost too much. I have several batteries i surely can spare another one. And I'm getting another 4 slot charger so just giving him my old one.
Shame my other son isn't using his at all. Just sitting on our table were he had it after unwrapping it at Christmas. Two boys different as night and day.
County Comm sells single delrin battery lockers for a variety of cells. Including 18650s. Great way for your son to EDC a spare cell while the other one is charging up.

Buff

Enlightened
IMG_5203.jpeg

IMG_5204.jpeg

Two hot lights! Bringing in the new year!!

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Yeah, I know the feeling, but...I'm a bit beyond handheld lights for this now.

About every other week during the winter I feel a "need" to take my car out and light up the neighbourhood.
Just to see what's out there, you know?

And I gotta say...4x Rigid D-XL Pro's, plus a 40" spotbar on the roof? Good stuff! Totals roughly 60.000 raw Lumens.
Though the lights are worth more than the car itself by now - depreciation OP.

(Attached image is a bit overexposed - didn't see that before I got home, because my dumb self stepped in front of the car, and THEN tried to make out details on the tiny DSLR screen...)

Attachments

• IMG_5040_.jpg
    IMG_5040_.jpg
    295.7 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
On Christmas night, I took my Mom for a ride after dark to see the Christmas lights around the area. Of course, I had some primo flashlights in the truck with me.

We have a brand new bridge that crosses the Ohio river. From town, I was lighting up the whole bridge, about a mile down river, with my K75, and was lighting up houses and neighborhoods across the river, with ease. There's one lone house in the woods, way up on the mountain; the K75 beam just lights up the whole house like it's daytime. I wondered if the people inside noticed, and what they were thinking.

There's also a new gaswell derrick across the river, way up on the hill, probably a mile away. I was lighting it up with my M64 and K75 from along the road. The tops of the power plant stacks across the river - all lit up nice and bright.

My TK20R-V2.0 was also doing very well hitting the other side of the river (around 600 yards+). Not quite as tightly focused as the other two, but very impressive for such a small light with a small head.

I still prefer the days when it's still twilight around here at 9:40 PM in June. Eff winter.
You mention brand new bridge @Guitar Guy is it a big ole arch bridge that took about 5 years to build?
IMG_2563.jpeg
IMG_2029.jpeg

My boss took this photo of one of the inspectors sitting atop the arch while it was being built.

Last edited: