Hunting Throw - AA

CootShooter

Newly Enlightened
Been out of the LED game for a couple years. I've lost my TK20 and I was hoping you guys could turn me on to something in the 200+ lumen super thrower that runs on AA's.

I'm looking for something that runs on AA's, throws exceptionally well, and fits in the pocket... pretty much I'm looking for a new and improved TK20.

Anything out there or should I just get the TK20 again?

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Confining yourself to AAs makes for a bit of a challenge but there's the Quark X AA2 Tactical --280 lumens XM-L. Not sure you could call it a true "thrower" though, but maybe.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tk20 is not made anymore. I think you may have a hard time finding one. The "replacement" is the LD25. Mine sees some rough use and it keeps on working. It is not a thrower by todays standards though.

Three of the best 2AA "throwers" are:
1) EagleTac P100A2
2) Dereelight Javelin
3) Quark Turbo 2AA (not Turbo X)

Those are all good throwers for 2AA lights but I would not consider any of them good throwers. Frankly, there is no 2AA light with good throw IMO. To start to get good throw you need at least a 4AA light. The Sunwayman M40A XML is the best throwing 4AA light I've measured. There is an MCE version of this light and you would want the XML version. However, it is too big for a pocket light. The best throwing AA light around is the Fenix TK41 but it is about 2x the size of the M40A.

whiteoakjoe

Enlightened
I use a couple of other AA products when I hunt so like you, I wanted a AA light with some throw, I went woith the Quark 2AA Tactical Turbo and like it. Not bad thrower for a AA and good size. With just the 2 modes programed (Turbo & Low) or (Turbo and Moonlight) it makes a good hunting light. But like Tre said above it will not do what other lights with 18650's will, but I dont need that in the deer woods. I'm not poaching...

Pacecar

Newly Enlightened
Coleman Max Bubba, 6AA at Walmart. My brother-in-law has one for hunting, and it's a great thrower.

Chidwack

Enlightened
I have three 2xAA lights. Quark AA2 Tactical, JetBeam BC20 and Klarus P2A. Of the three, Klarus has the most throw followed by the Jetbeam and then the Quark. Usable light out to 100 yards at least with all three lights.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
In 2AA lights, the XP-G R5 should throw a little better than the XM-L's. Quark, Thrunite, and a few other brand name lights should do you just fine.

Toaster

Enlightened
Fenix LD40 is 4xAA, 248 lumens, neutral white, and ~11K lux throw. It's quite noticeably brighter, farther throwing, and longer running than TK20. On the other hand it is quite a bit larger as well. Around $55ish from CPF vendors.

CootShooter

Newly Enlightened
I am not stuck to AA, I do have 18650's (2500 mAh 3.7v) and a charger, so I could go with a more dedicated 'thrower'... but it is nice for a hunting light in case we are in the middle of nowhere and need to get batteries... every single store will have AA's.

The main purpose of this light is for duck hunting... shining in front of the boat for stumps/rocks/bodies/etc in the wee hours of the morning. 100 yard spot should be sufficient, and I remember the TK20 being plenty good enough. I was hoping you guys would turn me on to some new and improved technological advancement that would really 'ooh' and 'ahh' my friends. :)

seven11

Newly Enlightened
I am not stuck to AA, I do have 18650's (2500 mAh 3.7v) and a charger, so I could go with a more dedicated 'thrower'... but it is nice for a hunting light in case we are in the middle of nowhere and need to get batteries... every single store will have AA's.

The main purpose of this light is for duck hunting... shining in front of the boat for stumps/rocks/bodies/etc in the wee hours of the morning. 100 yard spot should be sufficient, and I remember the TK20 being plenty good enough. I was hoping you guys would turn me on to some new and improved technological advancement that would really 'ooh' and 'ahh' my friends. :)

A Fenix TK41 would match what you are looking for in terms of throwable light to 100 yards and running on AA batteries, probably be able to throw light to more like 250 yards. BUT, if you are looking to really WOW your friends with a thrower, look into getting a Tiablo A9 with the aspheric head. I'm not sure I'd recommend it for searching for stumps in the wee hours of the morning since the beam pattern is so tight, but my hunting buddies are always blown away by it when I take it raccoon hunting. I can light up a tree at 400 yards away with that little light.

Animalmother

Newly Enlightened
The P100A2 is the absolute best 2AA thrower not using a aspheric lens.

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened

In that case, I would take a serious look at the Olight M20s S2. Good throw. Tough as nails. The advantage it holds over other 18650 lights is battery run time. It's at least 1/3 to 1/2 longer than other lights in it category. This would be an important consideration if I were using it as a hunting light where I would be using it to set up decoys, walking to and out of hunting stands and as an all around light. It's great for a weapon mounted light because it has longer throw than any of the single 18650 lights that I have researched or found. I love mine. It was my first quality light. I have several other lights now and if I were starting all over again, I would probably start with the M20s first all over again.

Last edited:

somename

Newly Enlightened
While every store may have AA batteries, to get any decent run times with the new high power lights out you need to run Energizer Lithiums which are not at every store.

I have a Quark AA Turbo Warm White XP-G and love it for around the house. But out hunting I use exclusively CR123 lights. They run 18650 and 17670 as their primary because of the long run times.

If by chance I did run the batteries out then I have 8 CR123 batteries in my pack as extras. With that many batteries I could run the lights all night long for several days. Depending on the level of course.

Walking in the brush I rarely carry my T20C2 MKII because it is very focused with the R2 drop in module. The R5 module has more spill, but either way the light is too much of a thrower to use for trails.

I typically use a Warm White Quark 123^2 for walking on the trails because of the naturally brighter spill of the light since it is more of a flood style than throw.

In your case if you are in a boat searching for logs and other stuff you don't want to hit, then your going to need a good thrower. Also, at times on the water there may be somewhat of a fog to penetrate depending on the weather and water temperature.

I would recommend the Eagletac T20C2 MKII due to its ability to easily reach your 100 yard mark. If you were satified with the lower lumen TK20, then I'm sure you will like the Eagletac.

Also, the TK20 was more of an outdoors light with a more neutral to warm temperature. Identifying logs, a neutral light would probably help. With the Eagletac you can now get 2 different Neutral drop in replacement modules. So you can really find what you like best.

I don't know what other hunting you may do, but the Red LED module they have for the T20C2 MKII is pretty Awesome as well. I have it setup on my bow for night hog hunting.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
In that case, I would take a serious look at the Olight M20s S2. Good throw. Tough as nails. The advantage it holds over other 18650 lights is battery run time. It's at least 1/3 to 1/2 longer than other lights in it category.

Quite a few single 18650 lights throw quite a bit farther than the M20s S2. the ArmyTek Pradator and Thrunite Scorpion V2 with turbo head throw quite a bit farther. If you want to go with a 26650 cell the Maelstrom X10 throws farther again. Again, if you want to stick with AA cells, the Sunwayman M40A XML out-throws every light I just listed. I've tested them all with a good lux meter and I test according to ANSI standards.

FYI, the T20C2 MKII cannot stand up to any of these lights, not even the M20s S2. It is more of a flood light. It is a nice light, it just does not have any throw.

robostudent5000

Enlightened
I was hoping you guys would turn me on to some new and improved technological advancement that would really 'ooh' and 'ahh' my friends. :)

if you're looking for throw, the old XRE is still the throw champ. newer emitters like the XPG and the XML are more efficient and give greater overall output, but have gone backward in the throw department.

Last edited:

Chidwack

Enlightened
Quite a few single 18650 lights throw quite a bit farther than the M20s S2. the ArmyTek Pradator and Thrunite Scorpion V2 with turbo head throw quite a bit farther. If you want to go with a 26650 cell the Maelstrom X10 throws farther again. Again, if you want to stick with AA cells, the Sunwayman M40A XML out-throws every light I just listed. I've tested them all with a good lux meter and I test according to ANSI standards.

Yes I know that is true but at a cost. Actually more than just one kind of a cost. The initial cost of the light and more importantly, the cost of vastly diminished run time on the battery. If there is a one 18650 battery light out there that has the combination of brightness/throw/toughness/battery life and simple effective UI that the Olight M20s has, I would like to know what it is. I know I have not been at this game very long but I have read and studied for more hours than I would want to admit and I have not found a light that works better in all these categories. At least not for under $100.

red02

Enlightened
I'm also in the market for a new thrower, but I'm having a hard time deciding between the Quark R5 AAx2 Turbo and a new Javelin XRE-R2 P60.

What makes me ask the question is that I saw a going gear review video of the ET P20A2 Mk. II and the XPG seemed to throw ok. I know that based on the lux measurement that XRE>XPG alone, but how much of a practical difference will there be between the two?