Hurrican SANDY 2012 - Prediction as to LIGHTS OUT?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Re: Hurricane Sandy

EZO - You bring up a very valid issue. No electricity, no gas stations pumping fuel,

A recent episode of Boardwalk Empire showed the original gas pumps. The glass tank at the top would supply the car in real time and after it left, the attendant would push up/down on the handle, drawing up fuel from the main tank and replacing what the last car had removed from the small tank.

Wonder if some kind of hand crank override would be useful for these kinds of events. Just have to work out the payment - i.e., cash.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

A recent episode of Boardwalk Empire showed the original gas pumps. The glass tank at the top would supply the car in real time and after it left, the attendant would push up/down on the handle, drawing up fuel from the main tank and replacing what the last car had removed.

Wonder if some kind of even hand crank over wide would be useful for these kinds of events.

I am guessing that there would be safety issues. Also, most pumps in city areas have fume recovery systems (air pollution). Florida had a problem with this issue after Hurricane Wilma. The fix was to require a certain amount of gas stations to have emergency generators to run the pumps.

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's one benefit about live'in on 6 wheels, .... we can move when things may get a bit dicey where ever we may be at the time!

Hope all goes well for y'all!

BudK

Newly Enlightened
Whats with the mid Atlantic states ?

I cant find a 5mm wetsuit or a generator for love or money .

& primary cells seem to be scarce too .

The food markets are jammed ; folks seem to be handling it quite well whatever the coming apocalypse is .

Its not the Mayan thing again ,is it ? :grin2:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Whats with the mid Atlantic states ?

Ever heard of Hurricane Sandy? It's heading your way. That's why you can't find the supplies you want. Expect long term blackouts, flooding, and snow in some areas where the hurricane combines with the Nor'easter. This storm system could be the worst on record for the area, worse than the Perfect Storm in the early 90s. Plan for massive flooding and blackouts through the elections. They are calling it a Frankenstorm.

StarHalo

Flashaholic

ibfREu1btd4oYV.jpg

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

Weather forecasters today said the odds of Sandy hitting the east coast have gone up from 60% to 90%. If you haven't stocked up already, it will be difficult to get supplies now. If it hits the New York area hard, I'd plan for 2+ weeks without power, have plenty of propane for cooking, have portapotties for when the water gets shut off (if there's no power, there's no pumps for water systems) as well as plenty of t.p., plenty of lights and batteries (probably not an issue for anyone on this site), lots of bottled water and food that needs little to no cooking, and a portable radio (preferably one that can charge other devices like cell phones and flashlights).

I would suggest staying away from certain modes of transportation. Subways will most likely get flooded. Elevators should be avoided once the storm hits because of the risk of power outages. For those in the area, stay safe.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast

Most of Long Island water comes from water towers. I would guess that most/all of the water districts have emergency generators to pump the water up to the towers.

Electricity is another matter - lots of overhead wires. LIPA, the electric supplier for the area, has been very responsive in the past. Most have power restored within 3-4 days, although some could wait for 2 weeks or longer.

Hopefully the storm will not be as bad as they are predicting....

DaveG

Enlightened

Up in New England most stores are picked clean of lights and batteries.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

Up in New England most stores are picked clean of lights and batteries.

Hopefully, this time, the people don't return the lights for their money back after the storm like they did last October. It amazes me that people think they can buy something they need for an emergency, return it for a refund after the disaster is over, and never be prepared for the next disaster.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast

The cold front passed through Hamilton saturday, sky cleared around 5 pm EST. Hamilton is about 50 miles SW of the dot labeled Toronto.
hurricaneSandyweathermapsat.jpg

When I woke up this morning looks like the cold front has lined up with hurricane Sandy. Now we have a storm that stretches from just off northern Florida to north of Montreal.
hurricaneSandyweathermapsun.jpg

The counterclockwise rotation around the storms is pulling a lot of cold air down the middle of the continent. When Sandy pushes moist ocean air into the blue zone we gonna get snow. Local forecasts are only saying rain at this point.
hurricaneSandycan_temp_obs.jpg

Hurricane Sandy time lapse video from a geosynchronous satellite, October 26, 2012.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybGhYIBf9CA

EDIT
Sunday 10AM
Uh oh.
Sandy is pushing the other storm back. It is coming west. At a very fast clip.
hurricaneSandyweathermapsun2.jpg

The northern storm is now over me a second time. I am in the red diamond.
stormoverme.jpg

Most computer models now agree on landfall. Southern New Jersey.
al182012.png

Update
Monday 8PM
The eye of Sandy should be making landfall around this time.
hurricaneSandyweathermapmonevening.jpg

Tuesday 8AM
Tropical storm ... 3 to 9 cm of snow in West Virginia and other states >> oxymoron.
The blue area is the snow.
hurricaneSandyweathermaptuemorning.jpg

Last edited:

BudK

Newly Enlightened

A friend that works at the nuke plant is on big time alert/call & is more than likely bunking at work for the duration. Another pal went on a bike trip with us Saturday (works for the electric co.) & pretty much depleted his cell phone batt with all the readiness procedures they are putting into order.

We are about 20 miles southeast of Philly & expect a good dose of the wet windy . Old neighborhood with massive trees that will instantly clog the gutters. Situation normal . Its the long rains that saturate the ground & are followed with wind that do most damage around here .
We take it on an apocalypse by apocalypse basis

Strangely we lose power more often from boom-squirrels than storms.

Holy cats . Word just in that some friends have refused to evacuate from the barrier islands . Perhaps I can coerce them with leftover bbq & beer . Plus they HAVE CATS. Glad I stocked up on allergy meds .

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are some interesting Hurricane Sandy related links.

An impressive 1-minute resolution satellite loop of Sandy today at the CSU RAMMB website (The Regional and Mesoscale Meteorology Branch (RAMMB) of NOAA/NESDIS)

The Statue of Liberty live cameras of New York Harbor

Perhaps the most comprehensive interactive weather map on the web, the WunderMap from Weather Underground (try zooming out and clicking on hurricane and other resources in the right hand column)

Atlantic City New Jersey Live Beach Cam

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast

Target, NJ

i1ktGm24FXDZI.jpg

StarHalo, Sorry man, I find this image to be suspect. I think it is unlikely to be a photo of a Target Store stripped 100% bare of items by panicked Hurricane Sandy shoppers and more likely to be a shot of a new facility before the store was stocked and outfitted. There is no signage or promotional advertising. There are no cases or floor displays with isles where items are always stocked on shelves. Just lots of empty retail floor space that would never appear like that in an active Target store.

Another poster to this thread says, " Up in New England most stores are picked clean of lights and batteries." But here in Vermont at least that has not been the case at all. The biggest item in demand has been bottled water. A stock guy at the local supermarket told me that they had been through 7 pallets just yesterday and the shelves were pretty bare but he said they had plenty in stock and more on the way today. The battery display looked like it had been pretty popular but still had reasonably ample supplies of most sizes of alkalines. The Rite Aid drugstore next door also had a decent supply of batteries and selection of flashlights. We tend to get hammered here so often with one kind of weather or another whether it is an ice storm, blizzard, flooding or whatever that most residents are usually already prepared to one degree or another.

Let's keep it real. Things look like they are going to get bad enough.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast

I had firemen in my end out town handing out mandatory evacuation notices to all the homes not everyone is going they just have to hand them out to let people know if there's a flood firemen or ambulances wont be able to get down here.

TEEJ

Flashaholic

A friend that works at the nuke plant is on big time alert/call & is more than likely bunking at work for the duration. Another pal went on a bike trip with us Saturday (works for the electric co.) & pretty much depleted his cell phone batt with all the readiness procedures they are putting into order.

We are about 20 miles southeast of Philly & expect a good dose of the wet windy . Old neighborhood with massive trees that will instantly clog the gutters. Situation normal . Its the long rains that saturate the ground & are followed with wind that do most damage around here .
We take it on an apocalypse by apocalypse basis

Strangely we lose power more often from boom-squirrels than storms.

Holy cats . Word just in that some friends have refused to evacuate from the barrier islands . Perhaps I can coerce them with leftover bbq & beer . Plus they HAVE CATS. Glad I stocked up on allergy meds .

Funny you mention squirrels making the lights go out with a boom....they do that here too. They do suicide attacks on the transformers and blow themselves up to take out the power with a BOOOM!!!

I hope the power comes back on after Sandy as quickly as they get it back on after the little grey terrorist squirrel attacks.

nitesky

Newly Enlightened

To everyone in the path, good luck and stay safe. I hope it is more bark than bite.

Assuming cell towers survive, what is a typical operating time on battery power? Academic curiosity as I am well outside the zone, but we do get the occasional ice storm or tornado.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Up here in Massachusetts I'm not expecting anything very dramatic. I grew up with storms and hurricanes that no one ever made much fuss over, and these days whenever there's a little wind they have 24/7 new reports from the state emergency bunker. Plus the obligatory shots of reporters standing in the rain near a beach somewhere. A little over a year ago we had some of the strongest winds I can remember and nothing happened other than a few trees down.

Still have all the flashlights in the world and a generator.