Hurricane Ida

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like this one may hit further west of New Orleans, but still. Last I saw they're predicting it to come in as a Cat 4, so it'll be bad news regardless where it lands. If any CPF'ers are in that area, I hope they're either hitting the road to get out, or else battening down all the hatches. Major hurricane strike + Covid sounds like a real nightmare.

scout24

Flashaholic
I think the slightly west of N.O. landfall was one of the problems for N.O. That "upper right quadrant" of the storm always seems to be where the heaviest surge and rainfall are. Either way, time to batten down or hit the road as Stress_Test said.

scout24

Flashaholic
sgt253- Agreed. Seems I've linked this a couple of times recently... Wise words.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Yeah, I remember reading sub_umbra's water epiphany thread as he wrote it, and then a few times afterwards. It is definitely a gem.

With Ida coming, I think it would be a good time to visit friends or relatives in Florida. Maybe a visit to Disney world.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Most of my family and friends are still in NO, some have decided to evacuate but have been met with bumper to bumper traffic from NO all the way to the Texas state line on I-10. It's always a nightmare during evacuation. Most have decided to hunker down and ride it out, Cat 4 isn't anything to take lightly. I just hope all the improvements the Core of Engineers have done to the levees and drainage pay off. If any members are down there good luck and stay safe, we're hoping for the best!

chaoss

Enlightened
Most of my family and friends are still in NO, some have decided to evacuate but have been met with bumper to bumper traffic from NO all the way to the Texas state line on I-10. It's always a nightmare during evacuation. Most have decided to hunker down and ride it out, Cat 4 isn't anything to take lightly. I just hope all the improvements the Core of Engineers have done to the levees and drainage pay off. If any members are down there good luck and stay safe, we're hoping for the best!
That sounds like a good plan.
I would definitely head west/northwest as almost all H-canes track northeast after landfall.
If hunkering down is the plan then be prepared for several days/weeks without daily outside assistance.

boo5ted

Enlightened
That sounds like a good plan.
I would definitely head west/northwest as almost all H-canes track northeast after landfall.
If hunkering down is the plan then be prepared for several days/weeks without daily outside assistance.

Honestly if I was still living there and decided to evacuate, I'd probably go north east. Everyone goes west and gets stuck in stand-still traffic. Going north east will still put you in the path but as soon as a hurricane makes landfall it looses strength immediately. Plus much less traffic so I can make it farther in less time.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of traffic, I saw this in a news article on CNN Friday and did a double take at the mayor's statement:

New Orleans & Hurr. Ida.JPG

What tha... Two days before landfall and she's claiming "not enough time"?!? Sounds like ****-poor planning to me. I'd have thought New Orleans of all places would have this figured out by now, and no mayor would ever want to be responsible for a Katrina breakdown again. Guess not?

boo5ted

Enlightened
The city and the residents have it figured out, Cantrell not so much. She's useless.

turbodog

Flashaholic
We are central MS and saw some weird crap during Katrina. Are bracing for Ida now.

From CNN: "The storm has already idled about 90% of the oil production 84% of gas production in the Gulf of Mexico, according to the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement."

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crap, I should've gassed up the car today. I bet the prices will have spiked at the stations by tomorrow morning.

turbodog

Flashaholic
What or where is "safe" when 150mph winds hit? I can't imagine anything standing. Underground?

Underground will flood.

It doesn't take as much as most think to protect against winds like that. Double layer 3/4 plywood ran at 90 degree angles. Double studs. Anchored to floor. That's directly from fema(?) specs.