Hurricane Ida

Poppy

Flashaholic
Very carefully lol. But seriously though, many start from scratch. Any structures still standing are made sure they are still sound and then carefully rebuilt. Those that are not are torn down and rebuilt from the ground up.

Seems like every 8-12 years total devastation happens, crazy to me that people get used to it. Louisianans are resilient and we always rebuild again. Living on an island that essentially is in the Gulf of Mexico it's just a way of life.
Looking at the vid, all those houses are built up on stilts. I imagine that poor people can't afford houses up on stilts. I imagine that these homes are for the most part owned by snow birds, who can afford to get out of harms way, and to wait for the repairs to be completed.

Am I wrong?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Crazy drone video of the damage in Grande Isle Louisiana. It's been decades since I've been there, one of my uncles had a camp there. I know Grande Isle looks like this after most any storms but it's still amazing to see the damage.
It's amazing the access drones give us to areas where it may not be safe for a human to enter. Yes, the damage there looks horrible but at least with drones you can accurately survey it much more rapidly.

boo5ted

Enlightened
Looking at the vid, all those houses are built up on stilts. I imagine that poor people can't afford houses up on stilts. I imagine that these homes are for the most part owned by snow birds, who can afford to get out of harms way, and to wait for the repairs to be completed.

Am I wrong?

Sort of. Most of the residents work in the fishing industry, trawling, off shore charters, etc. They make really good money but a lot of that is tied up in their boats/vessels/trucks/equipment. The majority of the homes on Grand Isle are people that live there year round. Only a small fraction of them are occasional use or rentals.