I have an HDS EDC Basic 60. What do I do with it?

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Piling in on the old thread...some years back datiLED put an XM-L into my U60. If you REALLY like the light... Given the price of other lights, I'd suggest keeping it as is, a historic piece and finding a contemporary light to use. For the close up work, the 45-80 lumen range works well for the tasks I have.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
HDS basic in not working condition

send it to Henry

I'd suggest keeping it as is

its not working..

He can get a credit towards a new model:
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...te-Reflector&p=5228951&viewfull=1#post5228951

Basically to the degree that he will give a credit on the older light or replace it.
He sold all the stuff to service... though I wouldn't doubt he could take one apart and work on it if he was so inclined... which he isn't.

Warranty service on EDC UltimateTM and EDC BasicTM flashlightsWe sold the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic product lines in May 2006 along with all of the tooling, spare parts and fixtures required to provide warranty repairs. We learned from our valued customers in 2007 that warranty service was no longer being provided for these products. We find this unacceptable. Effective immediately, we will provide warranty service for the EDC Ultimate and EDC Basic flashlights. As we have no spare parts, tools or fixtures, we will replace flashlights we cannot fix with new flashlights. We will honor the light output and runtime specifications of the light exchanged. If your light must be exchanged and you would rather upgrade to one of our current models, we will provide you an $80 credit toward the purchase of any of our current models, including custom models.We want you to know that we value you as a customer. And we want you to know we are here for the long term. We appreciate your business and hope that when it's time for you to get a new flashlight, you will think of us.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jon, was looking at the OP's post so missed Rm219's that his wasn't working. That's cool Henry is supporting them by applying credit. :)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Jon, was looking at the OP's post so missed Rm219's that his wasn't working. That's cool Henry is supporting them by applying credit. :)

no worries, it makes total sense since the first post is about a working light

and yes, the Henry option is good if Rm219 wants a credit toward a new light, such as a Rotary.

otoh, to keep the Piece of History Light, Rm219 has received generous offers from members willing to repair it, and he even has the option to upgrade the LED to a Holy Grail Nichia

great community!

speaking of Holy Grail Nichia
Hot LED Tip, Buy Now!
last chance to buy more sw45
https://www.virence.com/product-page/nvsl219bt-v1

Thats the 219b 4500k 9080 LED going into many of the next Titanium Rotary HDS

Last edited:

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Break it! Send it in for a warranty repair. Since the old heads are long gone, you'll get a free upgrade!

(Yes, I'm totally kidding. Please don't rip anyone off.)

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol
it is already broken

he wont get a free light if he sends it in, Henry will not fix a Basic, he will give an 80 dollar credit, and the owner of the Broken Basic Historical Relic, will have to pony up an additional $200 of his own money, to get a new model.

if it was me, I would send the light to one of the members willing to help fix it. And I would get the LED changed to N219b. As Ven has shared, that will automatically make the light 3 times brighter..

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol
it is already broken

he wont get a free light if he sends it in, Henry will not fix a Basic, he will give an 80 dollar credit, and the owner of the Broken Basic Historical Relic, will have to pony up an additional $200 of his own money, to get a new model.

Huh, I thought one of the things people raved about HDS was its warranty. Oh well.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
you want HDS to warranty a light that was sold to another company in 2006?
well, ok, Henry actually will, even though it is not his responsibility, read post 22

and, I may be mistaken, it is possible that Henry will fix the light, or replace it for free, with a detuned more recent model, not sure.. Maybe RM219 will share his outcome

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Ya Henry is going way beyond with taking care of his older lights. When novatac purchased all hds tools and equipment he was free and clear to walk away from all that. But he soon realized that novatac was not honoring the warranty and we're not fixing his lights. So he stepped up and took over and helped many out. As I said way over and beyond

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ya Henry is going way beyond with taking care of his older lights.

Totally agree, this is waaay beyond the call of duty, for a light that is 12 years old:
"we will replace flashlights we cannot fix with new flashlights. We will honor the light output and runtime specifications of the light exchanged."

bring me your old, your tired, your weak, and your dead Basics, and Henry will give you a newer model for free. Whats the catch? Well, he will set it to 60 lumens max ;-), since that is what he took in, even though it was dead through no fault of his own.

Its a cant lose situation for Rm219, he bought a dead light, and now henry wants to fix it, or trade it for free. I bet that wont be the last HDS Rm219 buys, after that kind of Customer Service.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

"we will replace flashlights we cannot fix with new flashlights. We will honor the light output and runtime specifications of the light exchanged."

bring me your old, your tired, your weak, and your dead Basics, and Henry will give you a newer model for free. Whats the catch? Well, he will set it to 60 lumens max ;-)

Which is it? Can he get a dead light replaced for free (even if he just 60 lumens), or does he just get a $80 store credit?

Okay, I'll agree that replacing a 60 lumen light probably isn't worth it, but is the warranty valid or not?

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which is it? Can he get a dead light replaced for free (even if he just 60 lumens), or does he just get a $80 store credit?

I think my first interpretation was only partly correct. I think my second interpretation is partly correct also

There are 3 possible outcomes through Henry, afaict
1. Henry is able to fix it and Rm219 gets back a working Basic 60, for free
2. Henry is not able to fix it and offers a replacement calibrated to the same 60 lumens, for free
3. Henry is not able to fix it and offers Rm219 an 80 dollar credit towards the price of any new light HDS offers, and Rm219 pays the difference.

hope that helps, Im not Henry, just trying to interpret what was quoted as his warranty policy

Last edited:

thermal guy

Flashaholic
If he can fix it he fixes it. If he can't you get an 80 credit. That's what he has done for me in the past.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
still sounds more than fair to me
I wonder where Rm219 is, the suspense is killing me

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Option 1 and 2 sound the best. I'm not sure if an $80 credit is worth anything if you don't want to spend 3 times that for a new light. But if you were planning to get a new light anyway, it's a decent outcome.

Lithium466

Enlightened
They do :) Just like the HDS in fact, but the lowest levels are generally higher (I mean with current emitters). Some Novatac require the 250 click trick to become programmable.

bigburly912

Flashlight Enthusiast
What do I do with a Novatac 120t with a dead driver haha. I have three modes and that's it. Will NOT factory reset. Not hijacking the thread. Just saw Novatac mentioned. : )