I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,how about you?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
On head-fi, a particular headphone called the Bowers & Wilkins P5 is inspiring this with amusing frequency. They're not flat-sounding, they don't reproduce sounds sent up their cable with digital precision, and people who haven't ever given them a listen tend to hold strong opinions about them.

People who've tried them tend to either love them, or just think "They're not for me". The strong feelings have this peculiar way of going away... :D

On that note, I'll stick with my Sennheiser HD-800's & Cree OBH-21 Headphone amp. They are just down the street from me here in CT.

zoulas

Newly Enlightened
Its like comparing records to cd's. There are a few record hold-outs out there, most of which have a large investment in records, that claim the sound is 'warmer', 'more realistic', etc. At the end of the day, that's a bunch of nonsense. The CD is better than the record many times over. Same for the LED over Incan's. Incan is dead , 100 + year old technology. LED will also be outdated one day. Right now however, its the best thing that happened to the flashlight.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its like comparing records to cd's. There are a few record hold-outs out there, most of which have a large investment in records, that claim the sound is 'warmer', 'more realistic', etc. At the end of the day, that's a bunch of nonsense. The CD is better than the record many times over. Same for the LED over Incan's. Incan is dead , 100 + year old technology. LED will also be outdated one day. Right now however, its the best thing that happened to the flashlight.

Interesting - it is not always wise to deal in absolutes. And calling one's opinion "nonsense" in a friendly, spirited and enjoyable discussion won't make many friends here... just sayin'.

As the sampling rate of CDs continues to increase, they will continue to more closely approach a true analog of the audio sine wave, but they aren't there yet.

As the tint of LEDs continues to be improved and refined, it may someday replicate the warmth that so many enjoy from an incan. As has been mentioned, technology marches on and we all benefit. But many prefer the warmth of the incan.

Don't misunderstand - I haven't played an album in (literally) decades - and out of my 80 or so lights, only 3 of them are incandescent. But those who prefer EITHER deserve the respect of not associating a description of "nonsense" with their choices...

Last edited:

scout24

Flashaholic
Out of curiosity, zoulas, do you own any quality incandescent lights? What are you basing your opinion on? I'm just curious what your frame of reference is.

fishndad

Enlightened
Out of curiosity, zoulas, do you own any quality incandescent lights? What are you basing your opinion on? I'm just curious what your frame of reference is.

Well Zoulas you did it, there 1 step closer to snaring you into there Incan trap.

Oh i know that trap well becouse im sitting on my couch with my Solarforce L2 Host.
Waiting for the mailman to deliver something called a ...Lumens Factory IMR-9 500...and some AW IMR16340 550 mAh IMR CR123s

LGT

Enlightened
It's an opinion, not a fact, that LED's are better then incans. Depends on what one prefers. At times, I would much rather use my SF incans because I'm looking for a specific tint to illuminate what I know I'll be looking at. Just as other times I'll choose an LED because I may have to use a light for days or weeks with no chance to recharge batteries while using with a lumensfactory dropin, or burning through a lot of cr123"s with the original SF bulb. There really is no "better." It comes down to what one prefers. Also, please list all of the incan lights you own and say why you think LED's are so much better.

Last edited:

fishndad

Enlightened
Its true my opinion is not legit or with merit.
Many of us have never seen a powerfull incan.I have never seen more than 20 lumen spilling from an incan flashlight.

So ive taken the challenge and soon will be able to decide for myself whats a better choice for me.
Although im sure i will love both and find an application for both.
Not better or worse just different.
If 500 lumen of incan light colors the nights landscape better and more naturally than an led, ill be the first one to admit it.

fishndad

Enlightened
This is actually a contentious and subjective point. Most of the incans in use today are actually halogen (traditional incans are banned in many countries, including Australia). Halogens have a Ra of 94-96, which is very close to the 92 typical CRI of high CRI LEDs. About depth of field, it's a subjective point and for my purposes, a ~8000K bluish HID allows me to see the furtherest, as most of the light is reflected back as opposed to being absorbed by browns/greens etc.

really why do they say incandescent on the pack and the others say hallogen on the pack.if there the same that is.
not arguing with you im curious .

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, only 9 posts and then this?

EXACTLY...
roll2.gif

Darien

Newly Enlightened
I got 2 mag chargers today, one with a WA bulb. I have'nt used one in 10-15yrs. I actually miss using them. Love the tint.

I like mine I've had for several years now. Been thinking of upgrading to the FM reflector and slug recently. I replaced the pack once.
The sorry ol' WA1160 I've been running just won't burn out!:wtf:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Wow, only 9 posts and then this?
Yeah, really. Incredibly he just showed up, and now knows enough to weigh in on incan being dead, just like the guys who were wrong about audio tubes - manufacturing had to be re-started in that field.

I know the list is absolutely endless, but a couple things that have been 'trumped' by newer technology, and yet refused to go away are horses and bicycles, the aforementioned tubes and incandescent lighting, living in the country and growing your own food, going barefoot and knowing that you don't know everything.

Your post as it stands has a very strong "came in from under the bridge" smell to it and needs to be tempered with a little humility.

scout24

Flashaholic
In my admittedly brief time here, I've noticed that it's a very passionate community with diverse opinions and feelings, with room for everyone. I occasionally wander into "Fixed Lighting", for example, and see names that are new to me after 3 1/2 years... There's room for differing opinions, and sub-forums for everyone's tastes. I wouldn't come into your house and give you a hard time about your choices of carpet or furniture, you know? :) Wander with an open mind, respect the tastes of others, learn and enjoy as I have, and you may be pleasantly suprised on what you develop an appreciation for.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my admittedly brief time here, I've noticed that it's a very passionate community with diverse opinions and feelings, with room for everyone. I occasionally wander into "Fixed Lighting", for example, and see names that are new to me after 3 1/2 years... There's room for differing opinions, and sub-forums for everyone's tastes. I wouldn't come into your house and give you a hard time about your choices of carpet or furniture, you know? :) Wander with an open mind, respect the tastes of others, learn and enjoy as I have, and you may be pleasantly suprised on what you develop an appreciation for.

Well said - well said - lovecpf :thumbsup:

Sorry if I offended anyone.

:welcome: It's a great place to be a part of....

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm a runtime person. For this very reason I've abandoned incandescent handheld lights almost altogether. The remaining holdouts are all Surefires that I'm slowly devising plans to LED-ify. As far as tints goes, until recently I've never really cared about tints, so long as they're not warm tints, as our minds compensate for subtle variances in tints and, to my eyes, most of my cool white lights register as white. It's when I compare two beams side-by-side that I can see the differences. That has changed, however, because of the Nichia 219. With the 219 I literally have seen the light. I cannot stand warm tint LEDs because all those years of quickly fading alkaline D-cells in my old Mag 2D or Mini-Mags has taught me that when the color of the light turns to amber that it's time to change the batteries. It gives me a headache trying to resist instinctively changing the batteries on a warm tint LED light so I avoid them.

As far as high power incandescents are concerned, I agree that incandescents are still kings in terms of ultimate output, but, I don't care about crazy output. My brightest light puts out 650 OTF lumens and I rarely use it. Incandescents make better throwers because they can be collimated better, but, my 650 OTF lumens light, which is not specifically a thrower, can out throw my M4 due to raw output alone and it'll do it for three times longer and it can be dimmed down for close in work. I've handled a few hotwire incans and they're impressive. They're just not for me.