I love incandescent flashlight much more than LED flashlights,how about you?

SemiMan

Banned
+1
my experience concur with yours!
eye-balling, foggy nite, same reflector size, LED spread, Incan punch thru! :grin2:

I have had Mag's, Surefires, and a range of 50-100W spots over the years. Most of them were given away at one time or another as I just can't stand the poor run time and for me, iffy beam quality most of the time.

Most of the flashlights I own are semi-custom, i.e. repurposed Incan likely replaced with an optic to match what I want it to do, whether its a flood, thrower, etc. I am particular to some of the carclo optics and a few others I have had access to through work. It is surprising how tight a 5 degree (FWHM) looks when its not all wasted as the case me be at times on fill and artifacts.

Speaking of "better" leds, my current project is not a thrower at all and I may paste a picture of this since its for me, not a customer. I am putting a super high CRI (that's a new technical term) 4000K Xicato module into an incan spotlight. 1000+ lumens of 98 CRI (almost Incan like) at a color temp that will not make everything orange! It will be beautiful. Not the most efficient light, but that is not the purpose.

Semiman

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Speaking of "better" leds, my current project is not a thrower at all and I may paste a picture of this since its for me, not a customer. I am putting a super high CRI (that's a new technical term) 4000K Xicato module into an incan spotlight. 1000+ lumens of 98 CRI (almost Incan like) at a color temp that will not make everything orange! It will be beautiful. Not the most efficient light, but that is not the purpose.

Semiman

I would REALLY like to see that. :party:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
May I digress, only briefly? :eek:

You write a lot of great posts, but this one was a joy to read.

That was a pleasure to read, and gave a nice balance.

Although I don't know that I have seen the latest Nichia LED's, some of the "high CRI" LED's I have bought (i.e. HDS HDC High CRI) still lack the fuller incan EM spectrum that allows your eyes to process subtle depth of field, contrast, and color nuances particularly when outside. I know some modders have tried to address this by including multiple colored LED emitters in the same light which impacts the efficiency/cooling.

There seems to be a general misunderstanding that the only relevant visual comparison issue between Incan and LED is confined to reproducing the CRI, instead of using one of the "color appearance models" which would be more valid.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

Although I don't know that I have seen the latest Nichia LED's, some of the "high CRI" LED's I have bought (i.e. HDS HDC High CRI) still lack the fuller incan EM spectrum that allows your eyes to process subtle depth of field, contrast, and color nuances particularly when outside.
I don't know if they're yet good enough to completely satisfy your tastes but you really need to sample a couple of the 119/219 emitters. Just as with incan lights, some of which are more completely white and others which give the warmer glow, the range of lights I have with 119/219's in them range from more of a pure white to just-a-touch-of-warmth, the latter of which I only have one, but it is my single most favored emitter I have in any light hands down. So clear and accurate, but accompanied by that sensory warmth that has always made me favor incans for tint.

Now if I can just find out what particular bin this 219 is I'll gladly swap them into every light I have.
There seems to be a general misunderstanding that the only relevant visual comparison issue between Incan and LED is confined to reproducing the CRI, instead of using one of the "color appearance models" which would be more valid.
I'd love to see some numbers that a layman could understand published which could help make it easier to predict and understand the various aspects that affect how we choose our favored light sources. Could be quite helpful, but at least we've made leaps and bounds of progress in the past couple of years.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Although I don't know that I have seen the latest Nichia LED's, some of the "high CRI" LED's I have bought (i.e. HDS HDC High CRI) still lack the fuller incan EM spectrum that allows your eyes to process subtle depth of field, contrast, and color nuances particularly when outside.

I don't know if they're yet good enough to completely satisfy your tastes but you really need to sample a couple of the 119/219 emitters. Just as with incan lights, some of which are more completely white and others which give the warmer glow, the range of lights I have with 119/219's in them range from more of a pure white to just-a-touch-of-warmth, the latter of which I only have one, but it is my single most favored emitter I have in any light hands down. So clear and accurate, but accompanied by that sensory warmth that has always made me favor incans for tint.

Now if I can just find out what particular bin this 219 is I'll gladly swap them into every light I have..

This is such a good, enjoyable exchange of ideas and information. I agree with kaichu dento - you really ought to try one of the Nichia. My guess is that the one Pete is referring to is the one in the high CRI Haiku. Numbers aside, what I SEE when I use it are the subtle differences in colors - don't laugh - but I keep it in the top of my closet and use it to help pick out a suit in the morning. It, more so than any of the others, allows the colors to come through so clearly that I can 'see' the colors in suits, ties, etc. Have you ever gone out for the day with one deep navy sock and one black sock? I have. But this light will show you that subtle difference, or at least, it allows you to see it.

I can't rely on numbers. They give a nice reference to start with, but the visual is what matters to me. Forgive me for drifting back to the audio discussion, but 'back in the day', numbers guys would have ripped a tube amp to shreds (verbally) for the high 'total harmonic distortion' figures, yet they remained the choice of many a discerning listener.

I see a similarity to the visual. I for one, don't care for the "high CRI" Cree XPG - and am not all that fond of the Seoul high CRI emitters. I owned an HDS High CRI light and thought it made everything brown - even orange. If that is what a person likes to 'see', then that's what they should buy.

What I personally want to see is a "lack of tint." It's been mentioned in many posts, but these Nichias seem to almost require your brain to relax - to stop attempting to process the colors. They just come through naturally,

I love the incan 'look', and I dare say that I've owned enough different variants to understand that there are some subtle differences even in the incans, but at the risk of stirring the pot, in MY OPINION they still 'add' tint. If you find that pleasing, then THAT'S GREAT! If you disagree that they add tint, that's great, too!

Ask Don Mcleish which light he prefers for discerning subtle colors when exploring the color rich waters off the coast of his Hawaiian Island home.

And maybe take a peek at the beam shots posted HERE and HERE. We all know that arguably a camera cannot be relied upon to provide the same visual as we would see in person, but the relative differences are not arguable. The camera is a Canon 40D (decent camera) with the white balance locked at 5000k. The daylight shots are either in the shade or under cloud cover, but if you search the forum you can see MULTIPLE versions of this same daylight shot. I'm actually at our beach place right now (have to go home, though:sigh:), and I KNOW what the colors are supposed to look like, and I can tell you with ABSOLUTE CERTAINTY that the 4 variants of the Nichia you will see (119 in a Haiku, 219 in a Haiku, 219 in a Malkoff, and 219 in a little Lumintop that I modded) 'appear' to my eyes as though they add the least tint and allow the most natural color to come through.

Geez, sorry guys. Another long-winded post from me. But I really do love this thread and the discussion. And I really do love incan lights. But I'll say it - for ME, the Nichia 92 CRI 4500k emitters are my favorites.

Last edited:

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
I love the incan 'look', and I dare say that I've owned enough different variants to understand that there are some subtle differences even in the incans, but at the risk of stirring the pot, in MY OPINION they still 'add' tint.
Yes indeed, incans do add tint(s)... and it's the "warm fuzzy feeling" from using incan that got me "hooked" for life... :grin2:
it's personal preference... I like the incan for what it does best, and LED for what it does best, just that at this moment, I like incans more... ;)
going off topic a bit, comparing the Nichia 92 CRI 4500K and Nichia 92 CRI 5000K, I much prefer the 5000K emitter as it gives true meaning of tint-less rendering... and it's my favorite LED (like driving a SF P91 with 2 x IMR 18500 is my favorite among the incans).

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one:
119-H1-bin.jpg

Is my favorite overall....

(Apologies to Don Mcleish for hijacking his photo!)

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
and this one
SureFireC3HA05.jpg

IS my favorite overall... :devil:

next, this one
NS6L183-H1_01.jpg

Nichia 183 92 CRI 5000K... or is that 4500K... can't remember the CCT the emitter pictured above... they are same in every-way except the centre of the emitter is slightly more yellowish in the 4500K :grin2:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
This is such a good, enjoyable exchange of ideas and information. I agree with kaichu dento - you really ought to try one of the Nichia. My guess is that the one Pete is referring to is the one in the high CRI Haiku.

I can't rely on numbers. They give a nice reference to start with, but the visual is what matters to me. Forgive me for drifting back to the audio discussion, but 'back in the day', numbers guys would have ripped a tube amp to shreds (verbally) for the high 'total harmonic distortion' figures, yet they remained the choice of many a discerning listener.

Geez, sorry guys. Another long-winded post from me. But I really do love this thread and the discussion. And I really do love incan lights. But I'll say it - for ME, the Nichia 92 CRI 4500k emitters are my favorites.
I've got two Nichia 119 Haiku's right now and several other lights with 219's in them, but the tint that does it the best for me is a 219 which is now in my V10R Ti, and I suppose that for the 5000k fans would be a touch too warm, but it is only just so slightly warm in comparison with my Haiku's that some may not notice it without direct comparison. My guess would be that it's somewhere between 3500-4500k, but for the time being it's my absolute favorite and I find all my other lights, enjoyable as they are to use, to be a compromise.

Going back to the tube amp analogies, they've always been my preference for both essential tonality and feel, not to mention dynamic interaction, and it took ages before I was finally able to plug into a non-tube processor and actually get the feeling that tubes were at work. The specs say there's distortion and my ears just say "Yeah".

scout24

Flashaholic
I enjoy my incans, currently owning three E2e variants with LF and stock bulbs, a G2 w/ P60, and having owned an M6, multiple A2 Aviators, and E1e's. The thing I love most about them, aside from the intangible joy in torturing filaments and the connection to our flashlight roots is the fact that they have pushed the LED manufacturers to pursue the "pure" light that incans provide when driven properly. Nichia, with the 083, 119, and 219 have personally taken the lead here, and are coming closer every year to providing as natural a light source as possible with higher and higher available output. Sometimes a technology peaks, with the limits of size, power source, etc. and that's where I feel incans are. That's not a bad thing, I own the ones that I do for what they provide, same as my LED's. A place, use, and appreciation for both. The plethora of choices available in both formats is amazing, and as was said above, It's a good time to be a flashaholic... :)

Last edited:

LGT

Enlightened
I enjoy my incans, currently owning three E2e variants with LF and stock bulbs, a G2 w/ P60, and having owned an M6, multiple A2 Aviators, and E1e's. The thing I love most about them, aside from the intangible joy in torturing filaments and the connection to our flashlight roots is the fact that they have pushed the LED manufacturers to pursue the "pure" light that incans provide when driven properly. Nichia, with the 083, 119, and 219 have personally taken the lead here, and are coming closer every year to providing as natural a light source as possible with higher and higher available output. Sometimes a technology peaks, with the limits of size, power source, etc. and that's where I feel incans are. That's not a bad thing, I own the ones that I do for what they provide, same as my LED's. A place, use, and appreciation for both. The plethora of choices available in both formats is amazing, and as was said above, It's a good time to be a flashaholic...
Well said. Though I'm fully aware of the limitations of my SF incans, even with the LF bulbs that can run on rcr batteries. I just can't bring myself to change these to an LED format, no matter how high the CRI.In spite of owning forty or so LED's and only six incans' I much prefer the incan color. Can't put my finger on why, or explain in technical terms why. But they just seem different, no matter how high the CRI of LED's

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I've got two Nichia 119 Haiku's right now and several other lights with 219's in them, but the tint that does it the best for me is a 219 which is now in my V10R Ti, and I suppose that for the 5000k fans would be a touch too warm, but it is only just so slightly warm in comparison with my Haiku's that some may not notice it without direct comparison. My guess would be that it's somewhere between 3500-4500k, but for the time being it's my absolute favorite and I find all my other lights, enjoyable as they are to use, to be a compromise.

Going back to the tube amp analogies, they've always been my preference for both essential tonality and feel, not to mention dynamic interaction, and it took ages before I was finally able to plug into a non-tube processor and actually get the feeling that tubes were at work. The specs say there's distortion and my ears just say "Yeah".

Where would I find a light with one of these?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Thanks very very much to run4jc and kaichu dento for their help and generous offers. I very much agree that you cannot just go by the numbers or ratings. There is a wide variety of incan colors based on the bulb make, model, voltage, reflector, etc. Same goes for LED's, where there is variability even within a batch/bin of the same make/model. I think I should just get one of the Malkoff's to see how it does look in a number of practical scenarios, and am thinking that this 200 lumen model would be best?

I'm sure McGizmo's Haiku would be sublimely excellent, but starting with a $69 drop-in seems to be a worthwhile "toe in the water."

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks very very much to run4jc and kaichu dento for their help and generous offers. I very much agree that you cannot just go by the numbers or ratings. There is a wide variety of incan colors based on the bulb make, model, voltage, reflector, etc. Same goes for LED's, where there is variability even within a batch/bin of the same make/model. I think I should just get one of the Malkoff's to see how it does look in a number of practical scenarios, and am thinking that this 200 lumen model would be best?

I'm sure McGizmo's Haiku would be sublimely excellent, but starting with a $69 drop-in seems to be a worthwhile "toe in the water."

You are most welcome. I agree with your idea, and your choice of initial drop in. I sent a long, rambling PM to you for further information! Good luck!

Brigadier

Enlightened
Looking at those drop ins, they do not list the lumens rating of the M61L, LL or LLL. Any idea on what they are?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast

On head-fi, a particular headphone called the Bowers & Wilkins P5 is inspiring this with amusing frequency. They're not flat-sounding, they don't reproduce sounds sent up their cable with digital precision, and people who haven't ever given them a listen tend to hold strong opinions about them.

People who've tried them tend to either love them, or just think "They're not for me". The strong feelings have this peculiar way of going away... :D