I need a headlamp for military use...

BIG45-70

Enlightened
I need a higher quality headlamp to replace my Black Diamond Spot. I need something that runs off AA's and has easy access to a red light without having to cycle through modes. Waterproof and high build quality, I don't have a price range as long as I am getting a quality lamp. So far I've been eyeing the petzl tactikka, am I missing any gems?

yliu

Enlightened
Pezl Tactikka is indeed a good choice. Maybe the Surefire helmet light, if you know where to get one and the price is fine for you.

Lights from Fenix, Zebralight that uses AA cells don't have red light.

JettHudd11

Newly Enlightened
I would suggest a Fenix Headband (20$) with a 4Sevens Mini 123 (35$). They are both very high quality products. With the Fenix Headband, you can mount two lights within a diameter of 18-22mm so maybe 2 Mini 123's. Good luck!

sORe-EyEz

Enlightened
Streamlight Sidewinder Compact & Compact II (runs on 1AA) is worth a look. like the Zebralights, its a all-in-one unit with no cables or cords, which may snag onto stuff.

served as a conscript in the past, personally i would try to avoid getting headlamps with cables. i have the Sidewinder & i feel that the nylon body is an advantage as it improves on noise discipline.

my 2 cents.