I need a new digital camera..... Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
F/8, s/1.6 (0.625s)

My friend paid $60 for this orchid. I never knew a flower could be so expensive.

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moonshot

Playing around with the "Tizzie" (good nickname, kitelights- :))

Tried a moonshot just for kicks- (just pointed and shoot, pic downloaded straight from memory card)

It pulls in the details, but with a halo effect, and doesn't show as much of the "cheese holes" visible in elgarak's shot-

Camera Make: Panasonic
Camera Model: DMC-TZ1
Image Date: 2006:12:29 17:43:45
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 52.0mm (35mm equivalent: 350mm)
Digital Zoom: 4.000x
Exposure Time: 0.0040 s (1/250)
Aperture: f/4.2
ISO equiv: 80
Exposure Bias: -1.66
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Spot
Exposure: program (Auto)

This thing is pretty much like a pair of digital camera binoculars, only better quality- surveillance photos are easy; even if the subjects spot the camera they don't figure it'd get much of a shot, being so tiny. :whistle:

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just read a review of the Tz1 and it indicated no high-speed usb... so how is the transfer speed? Do you just remove the card each time and put it in a reader?

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the TZ1 and just used a card reader.

I like everything about the camera except for two things: I wish the screen was AR coated (in bright sun it's basically a mirror for looking at your face). The Auto ISO is poorly implemented. It allows the ISO to range from 80 to 200 for non-flash shots, which is fine. But for flash shots it allows the ISO to go to 400 which can result in noisy photos. It would be better if you could chose the auto-ISO range.

Greg

Wingerr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The flash is pretty weak, so I guess they figured it a necessary evil for the higher ISO to get a noisy shot than one that's too dark, if the distance is beyond its short range.

atm

Enlightened
Great thread, thanks to everyone that has contributed, as many others have said, it's making my choice much easier.

I only really have one question left before making my final decision; is image stabilization an important feature for still pictures, or is it really only of use occasionally for an average user?

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I expect IS to be more common as the years go by. It doesn't correct for moving subjects, which is often the cause of blurring if you use a slow shutter. If you can figure out how to hold a camera steady or use a tripod, you don't REALLY need IS. I like having custom manual features the most. Some pics you see online that are out of focus are that way because the photographer didn't pick 'macro' mode, or did something else wrong. You can take great pics with almost any digital camera. I always check out the camera type when I see some good pics online to see what the user chose.

The Flickr camera finder is a cool database of all the cameras used by flickr uploaders. You can view pics by the type of camera that took them. The charts are cool, too, which show camera usage stats.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
IS is important for 4 conditions: 1) the smaller the camera, the harder it is to hold steady. 2) the less experienced the user is, the more necessary IS is. 3) the more magnification you use, the more necessary IS is 4) for the experienced user, good IS (Panasonic) will allow you to shoot the equivilent of 3 F stops lower w/o the use of a tripod.

Optical IS is a major advantage over electronic or digital IS. Optical IS uses an actual floating lens that moves by gyro sensors which is a mechanical system to compensate for camera shake. EIS or DIS uses the CCD to compensate for camera shake - it robs the already small CCD from some of its intended duty to capture the image and isn't as powerful for compensation either.

I wouldn't consider a subcompact or super zoom w/o IS. As much as I love Canon, I think it's ridiculous that many, if not most, of their '06 lineup doesn't have IS. They've got a 10 MP subcompact for $499 w/o IS. The entire Panasonic line has Mega Optical Image Stabilization - the same on their $150 cameras as on their $500 cameras.

Eugene

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have a Nikon CoolPix 5600 and while we like it there are two things that could be improved.
1. it takes several seconds to charge the flash so you get to start at the little blinking LED.
2. the movies it takes are in quicktime. I had to hunt around a long time to find an old version of quicktime because everyone we would send a move to would complain about the number of hours it takes to download it because it forces along crap like itunes.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I decided to get an interim camera before moving on to something heavier. Probably will get a 2-4 year old DSLR in the end, but for now I got a Canon PowerShot S1 IS off eBay for $95. Supposedly in perfect condition, all original box, accessories, manuals, etc. This should hold me over for now. Looks like a nice camera from the reviews.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

Cribbage

Newly Enlightened
WARNING: ADORAMA

Like alot of us here, I like other kinds of toys as wel; mine are fine binoculars.

DO NOT BUY FROM ADORAMA !!

I ordered a pair yesterday, and within 3 hours my CC had been solen and used to pay over $1,200 in cell phone bills. I know it was there it was hacked because the cell phones were out of NY, and it was the only purchase in 3 weeks on that card.

DO NOT BUY FROM ADORAMA !! :mad:

alphamicro

Newly Enlightened
Re: WARNING: ADORAMA

Cribbage said:

Like alot of us here, I like other kinds of toys as wel; mine are fine binoculars.

DO NOT BUY FROM ADORAMA !!

I ordered a pair yesterday, and within 3 hours my CC had been solen and used to pay over $1,200 in cell phone bills. I know it was there it was hacked because the cell phones were out of NY, and it was the only purchase in 3 weeks on that card.

DO NOT BUY FROM ADORAMA !! :mad:

I've bought from them in the past without problems, but it has been probably 2 or 3 years ago. I believe Adorama and B&H Photo have the best reputation as far as buying photo equipment. All of my orders with both outfits have been strictly over the internet. I've never placed an order over the phone. Was your's was a phone order? Every employer can wind up with a shady employee sometimes, and I would hope that you would contact Adorama about what happened. If your order was over the internet, then that's very worrisome (sp?) to me. Here's Adorama's FAQ answer about internet fraud, if that's what happened:
Credit Card Fraud Warranty
We guarantee that every online transaction you make will be 100% safe. This means you pay nothing if unauthorized charges are made to your card as a result of shopping at our online store. Under the Fair Credit Billing Act, your bank cannot hold you liable for more than $50.00 of fraudulent charges. If your bank does hold you liable for any of this $50.00, We will cover the entire liability for you, up to the full $50.00. We will only cover this liability if the unauthorized use of your credit card resulted through no fault of your own from purchases made while using the secure server. In the event of unauthorized use of your credit card, you must notify your credit card provider in accordance with its reporting rules and procedures.

Sorry to hear about your bad experience however it happened. It's been 10+ years since I was burned (had to have been from using that card at an out-of-town eatery), and I know what a sinking feeling it is (and remember how POed I was).

Mike

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey that's a good price on a fun camera, a great way to get into a superzoom. I have four digicams now and the Canon S3 is my most used one, more then my DSLR.

Great deals on the S3 (low $300's) now. S5 just announced and other then the inclusion of a hot shoe, I don't think it's worth the money over what the S3 is going for right now.

ABTOMAT said:
Well, I decided to get an interim camera before moving on to something heavier. Probably will get a 2-4 year old DSLR in the end, but for now I got a Canon PowerShot S1 IS off eBay for $95. Supposedly in perfect condition, all original box, accessories, manuals, etc. This should hold me over for now. Looks like a nice camera from the reviews.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/s1is.html

Samoan

Enlightened
Re: WARNING: ADORAMA

I've bought from them in the past without problems, but it has been probably 2 or 3 years ago. I believe Adorama and B&H Photo have the best reputation as far as buying photo equipment. All of my orders with both outfits have been strictly over the internet. I've never placed an order over the phone. Was your's was a phone order? Every employer can wind up with a shady employee sometimes, and I would hope that you would contact Adorama about what happened. If your order was over the internet, then that's very worrisome (sp?) to me. Here's Adorama's FAQ answer about internet fraud, if that's what happened:

Sorry to hear about your bad experience however it happened. It's been 10+ years since I was burned (had to have been from using that card at an out-of-town eatery), and I know what a sinking feeling it is (and remember how POed I was).

Mike

I don't usually +1 but in this case I feel the need to do so. Adorama is one of the good guys (along with B&H). If the fraud was in any way conencted to Adorama it's not a systemic thing, it was the fault of one individual and that person could work anywhere.

-F

EV_007

Enlightened
ETC (from other thread), I happen to own a Canon S3-IS. By taking flashlight pictures, do you mean does it have a good macro, here are a couple of pictures taken with it just a couple of minutes ago. It is my old venerable chop modified KL1. I've done no editing other then a resize.

68967417.jpg

68967419.jpg

If you are interested in the camera and haven't actually played with one yet, I suggest you go to your local brick and mortar store and try it out. It has an incrediable amount of features including an extremely good movie mode but it is by no means a pocketable digicam.

I love the super macro function of the S3 IS. I just picked one up and for the money, it can't be beat.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am wondering how reviews will stack up on the new Canon S5. Dpreview has reviewed the Sony H7 and H9 and was rather ho-hum about them compared to the Sony predecessors and presumedly the S5 will have the same 8 megpixel sensor. I'm still very happy with my S3.

Status
Not open for further replies.