I remember... "the good old days" of CPF

m16a

Enlightened
I remember when this fish was straight baller, son..

Ahhh that was entertainment at its finest.

I remember when this newfangled TK10 came out, and we all wondered if it would hold a candle to its old friend the T1.

I remember thinking DX lights were actually valuable.

I remember waiting for the new P61L to come out. Oh wait... :whistle:

I remember the NDI being the new challenger to the Fenix L1D line. That was fun to watch.

I'm still a CPF youngin. hah

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I remember when this newfangled TK10 came out, and we all wondered if it would hold a candle to its old friend the T1.

That reminds me when we could post reviews directly onto that sub-forum. :sigh:

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember when all of the 1xAA LED lights had 5mm LEDs, like the CMG Infinity, Infinity Ultra and the ARC AA?

I do. I never got one but you reminded me of something. You are gonna love this.

I still have my ARC AAA on my key chain. It's smooth and silvery now but still works after 9 years. I looked to my left where I keep my fishing cap and remembered the cyan ARC AAA clipped to it. It's in perfect visible condition. I reached over and turned it on but no joy. Haven't used it in two years.

"No problem." I thought. "I'll just grab a new AAA battery and install it."

NO JOY!

Wait, remember when, well you probably already new about it, we all seemed to discover Radio Shack's De-Oxit and Pro-Gold? I cleaned up and conditioned my ARC AAA and boom.

JOY!

I forgot how useful that little light was and I way forgot how much output the tiny monster yields. This one leans more to green than blue but it's definitely not a greenie. (Sorry greenLED).

Clean up my white ARC AAA while I was at it. Even though the battery is two years old the circuit seems to pull just as strong as when I put a new battery in it. So, I'm using the old battery. Why waist juice, no?

Thanks, man. I think I'll be using this little jewel a lot more again. Have been spoiled by the awesome Draco but as you've taught me, in dark situations with dark adapted eyes green and green/blue 5mm is plenty for many situations. Kinda wish I would have got all the colors when they were like $20.00 bucks or so. A red would be nice. But I prefer cyan 5mm because of my eyes' sensitivity to its image rendition.

- Jeff

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I know many here remember the long fight to have a steady supply of rechargeable 123 size cells available. One of our dealers almost went broke getting this project going.

I have always wondered just how much we members actually played in the development or invention of the Li-Ion 16340 cell. It seems as if no others were talking of such a cell and then we kind of started an avalanche. A few of our dealers picked up the ball and ran with it and we bought them by the dozens....now they are more common than all other Li-Ion cells it seems.

Remember when cyan emitters were really cool and the cyan Arc AAA was the one to get? I must admit I still like my Cyan colored AAA at times.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see some familiar names in the thread. Sub_umbra, still using that cyan light I assume? :)

My life has been so busy, but I want to get back into modding really bad, there are some advancements I want to check out (SST-50/90) and I have some other mods that have been needing to be put together for a few years now. Now I have a house, and need to get my hod rod going so time is scarce, especially with my job and everything else. Maybe this winter when it's cold I can start modding some more. I need to work on the house too though so when summer comes I can get my project car on the road and a few bugs ironed out before swapping in the good stuff :)

I still have my ArcAAA. While it's not on my keychain anymore, I still have it. I modded it with the newer Nichia (I forget which one now, but it's bright and perfect color/beam pattern).

I need to sell some lights too, for funding for other light projects. :)

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I remember when someone posted a thread about how the LED section had just achieved more threads than the general flashlight section. Ahhhh, the good old days.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know many here remember the long fight to have a steady supply of rechargeable 123 size cells available. One of our dealers almost went broke getting this project going.

I have always wondered just how much we members actually played in the development or invention of the Li-Ion 16340 cell. It seems as if no others were talking of such a cell and then we kind of started an avalanche. A few of our dealers picked up the ball and ran with it and we bought them by the dozens....now they are more common than all other Li-Ion cells it seems.

Remember when cyan emitters were really cool and the cyan Arc AAA was the one to get? I must admit I still like my Cyan colored AAA at times.
Who still makes Cyan 5mm LED lights? (the same color as the old Arc)

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I am not sure who currently makes a good cyan light however if I remember correct you can still find some Photon keychain lights in Cyan.

That was what was so nice way back then was Arc had an actual Cyan color rather than the greenish color that many thought was cyan. A real cyan color looks very bright in person and I think it had something to do with how sensitive our eyes are to that color??

Remember when everyone was talking about the traffic light green colored emitters vs the actual Cyan emitters? I really do still like my Cyan arc AAA and not even sure where to point you to find one today.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Robocop -

Mine is definitely cyan because I can see the blue in it and lack of yellow compared to a green. However I know which cyans you refer to. I saw beam shots of the three and mine looks like the middle. Wish I'd have known at the time and returned it for the real deal but this one is way bright and I like its color, just not as much as true cyan. And speaking of true cyan.

Issac Hayes -

Man, I remember how helpful you were to everyone. I remember you suggesting I amp up my Blaster that had a 5W true cyan so with just putting rechargeables (not recommended because it's over driven) brought the blue out. Then I remember your discovery of some super cyans and your building one for my friend, SubUmbra. By the discription I knew it was brighter and more true to cyan than mine was. Still want one of those.

And mine still works. I remember one night shining it from the back of the house up over the house into trees across the street and hearing some guys talking loudly about, "What the he!! is that?" Went to the side of the house to see two questionable fellows booking it down the street. I didn't even know they were there.

I think that's when I started my habit of sweeping the area a couple of times at night with an 1185. I can't count the times I spotted people standing where they shouldn't be and them leaving the area. Now it rarely happens. I think our watch team with flashlights, cell phones and assorted accouterments have effectively made the neighborhood a safer place.

Post up some pics of your hot rod this spring if you are inspired to. I'm curious. I want a classic muscle car so bad. I miss the sound of my old Cutlass Supreme with the 350 and my friend's cars of all sorts. My dad let me drive his Chrysler 300 a lot and with a 440 in it that luxury car moved out. Sounded so good with the big Holley he had in it. He also had a big air tank on the floor board hooked up to air horns. His theory was that because he drove so fast on the highways he wanted to project the horns further down the road. The other day I was walking down a popular street in my area and a dude in a newish (maybe a 2002, you know the little ones) romped his motor slightly as he was parking. I hollered over at him, "Sounds nice, man" "It's got a 396 in it." "No way." "Yes, way...396, man." Then about 5 minutes later he was passing by me again and hit it for a few seconds and waved. Most definitely a 396.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still have both of my ARC lights. but, I think mr bulks LGI was the one I used the most.

Here is my first review. It's of Mr. Bulk's LGI (Long Gun Illuminator) I got it right before I got the MAD MAX and BAD BOY sandwiches. A bit of a long read but I was excited and may or may not have embellished my little adventure. Enjoy this 9 year old thread.

Sad_LGI_Review

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to see some familiar names in the thread. Sub_umbra, still using that cyan light I assume? :)...

Every single night. I may not turn it on every night but it's in my hand and I'm using it. Thanks again. I've done some things with that light that have really frustrated some jerks...I won't bore you with the details.

Another example of how good engineering keeps on paying back years and years down the line. A guy tried to buy that light from me a few months ago. I wouldn't think of it til I had a replacement in hand -- that was when I wrote you awhile back. If anything new, tight, hot and cyan comes down the pike please let me know.

Icebreak, I've also got one of those crazy-bright cyan ARC AAAs and though I don't use it much, I do actually marvel at it, still.

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure who currently makes a good cyan light however if I remember correct you can still find some Photon keychain lights in Cyan...
Batteryjunction has the very best deal on cyan Photon Freedoms I've seen. (Cyan PFs are called 'NV Green') I think they're about $9.95 plus $1.50 for Covert Nose (which is IMHO the only way to go).

Cheers.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Icebreak, yeah the one I build for Sub is actually a bit greener than the one I built with dual BB500's in parallel (so it would run 1 amp to the lux3 but do it from only 2.4v NiMH 2C). I think the one I made for Sub was a S1JC. Yeah bin code 1!!

The one I built for myself was a R6KB I believe. Blue on the green side. My old ISP deleted the directory with the mod pics :( and I can't find them on the HD and the original write up..

I've thought about building another cyan light, perhaps a apsheric one so it would look like an argon laser... But no real good Cyan LEDs other than if I could come across some green tinted blue Cree's or something... But I think the blue cree's are more Royal Blue than blue so that would be near impossible... My 2C Cyan is still very bright.

Ledsupply.com I think had some nice 5mm cyans at one point.

That story made me smile Icebreak about the guys freaking out about the cyan beam!

My first real mod was a 5W cyan, but it was too green so I sold the emitter (future screwed up and send me the wrong type anyway) and built a 5W green. I had it out in the fog and it was awesome, cars were slowing down!

I hope to build a SST-50 (if I can find a decent priced source, costs as much as a SST-90) with a projector assembly from a rear projection CRT TV. I will over drive the SST-50 on a huge Pentium heatsink. With a Cree XR-E the spot is super small and bright!!! Way brighter than Jarhead/Newbie's asperhic he found. With an SST50 or 90 the beam should be useful size and super duper bright. Maybe make some people think that aliens are going to beam them up!

Sub, when was that I build it for you? I remember building a 2C red-orange for someone too but it got stolen from them :( I can't recall their name.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Sub, when was that I build it for you? I remember building a 2C red-orange for someone too but it got stolen from them :( ...
~Around March of 2006 -- about 6 months after Katrina.

I'd really like to see an asperhic cyan light -- I think it would actually be practical for some security tasks, like when you know exactly where something/someone should be...and you'd like to reach out and touch them. :D Let me know if you build one -- I'll want to hear the dirt.