I visited the Arc facility!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok...i had the impression you were bouncing your arc off solid concrete /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i just threw mine on the carpet as hard as i could and its doing fine (it bounced up to waist height) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
chamenos said:
ok...i had the impression you were bouncing your arc off solid concrete /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif i just threw mine on the carpet as hard as i could and its doing fine (it bounced up to waist height) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the same impression.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif now I'm going to try it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif try not to let it land clickie or bezel first though...i'm not sure the switch or battery is as tough as the rest of the light /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif besides i have dropped it on its switch before, and the rubber boot got a little gouged so i had to change it in case it tore.

peter, i'm no modder so forgive me if this sounds stupid but is the led's position relative to the optics fixed? would it be possible to jar the led out of focus due to excessive Gs?

BigMac

Enlightened
Ok, everyone chuck your ARC's at the floor on three!

3 - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bet Gransees feeling a little ill about now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I wonder if now might be a good time to dissuss the limits of the warranty. LOL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/sick.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Right, you break it you bought it. I am a professional light tosser, don't try this at home.

And yes, the LED is fixed in relationship to the optics which helps the whole setup resist the G's. I am sure if you try hard enough, you can break it. It is tougher than most though.

Peter

Tomas

Banned
*thud*
Now see what *thud* you started, Peter? You *thud* have all these flash*thud*light crazies throwing these *thud* very expensive lights at *thud* everything in site, and *clunk* making all kinds *thud* of racket. Next *thwack* thing you know some*thud*one will try that with *thump* somebody *thud* else's light and it *thud* will quit work*thud*ing.

T_sig2.gif
*thud* /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
peter: a few years back i decided to test the limits of the shock resistance of my G-shock, and i managed to crack the LCD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif my arc's doing fine though, but i'll refrain from tossing it unnecessarily /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brocken

Newly Enlightened
Peter:
lets see a picture of that beat up Arc, I would never subject anyone of my lights to that test even if they were meant to survive.

thanks for making awsome lights.

dave

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
The light I do the demo with is called "waldo". It is the most photographed Arc-LS around. There are probally a dozen pictures in the Arc forum alone of this particular light.

Peter

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you owe me. I accidently tossed my 3C HD Mag with UCL and broke the lens. Had it in one hand and my LS in the other. They don't bounce as well.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif

I drop mine enough without having to demo dropping them.

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep. Actually that mag has done a couple of facedowns and no damage to the lens yet. Not from very high up maybe 8-12 inches. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
I always love the 'Fling your product mightily at the ground, and dare your competitor to do the same' school of marketing.

I think Glock is the all-time winner - I'm not sure I've got the story right, but the gist of the story was they took 20-odd Glocks, disassembled them, mixed the parts, reassembled 20 new Glocks from the parts, fired many many rounds through them, threw them at the ground mightily, jumped up and down on them, boiled them in oil (I think I'm starting to just make things up), fired them some more, and then asked Kimber and Sig if they were willing to try the same.

Resounding silence.

The look when you asked if they'd like you to bounce their L1 must have been priceless.

MichiganMan

Enlightened
The story I heard (probably apocryphal) is that Glock salesmen when selling to police departments would take a Glock, load it, and fling it as hard as they could at a nearby wall to demonstrate the integrated Safety. I imagine that after they got the understandably agitated cops off the poor fellow they were duly impressed with the weapons safety engineering. As a Glock 19 owner I can attest to its quality and reliability. The only misfire I've ever experienced is when the primer failed to fire in cheap reloaded ammo.

Oh nuts, off topic and Sasha's on the prowl... uuh...

Um, I can't wait to get loaded and fling my Arc at a bunch of cops and... no wait....uh...

sigh, I know, I'm leaving.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
what i read is that glock salesmen also used to park their cars on top of a glock to demonstrate the strength of the polymer frame /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tomas

Banned
Uh, OK, I know how intrinsicly safe and reliable a Glock is but for some reason I'm still a S&W modifier and user. I just have never been able to really get comfortable with a Tupperware pistol.

Just like flashlights.

Probably the to most utterly reliable and dependable flashlight bodies I've had were plastic bodied (one $2 Garrity 2D and one of the the military angle-head 2D that I, uh, "liberated" from the USAF when I got out. Even given that experience, and further experience with a wonderful old Sanyo Cad-Nica pilot's light (rechargable, twin bulbs, plastic) and several Photons, I prefer a metal cased light.

(Note the neat segue back into flashaholism! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

If one of my current favorite metal-cased lights were remade in a glass-reinforced plastic, or carbon-carbon-resin it might even have advantages over my current metal bodied versions (I can think of several) I would still prefer the machined metal version. The Arc's are fine examples.

(Another nice segue. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif )

Now that I've said that, I'm wondering why that is? Hmmmmmm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

T_sig6.gif

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
tomas: ymmv, but one of the reasons i still buy metal surefires is because i simply can't justify spending that much on what is essentially a plastic flashlight. this only applies to surefires though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts