Ian and formerly known as

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm off a creek off a small bay off a river off Mobjack Bay. I have plenty of batteries and lights, but in no way did I prepare. My retired Coast Guard neighbor appears to have bugged out without a word. I've been watching Ian tracking predictions for a week, saw it would head inland and not hit near here from the coast, and I honestly didn't think it would be bad here. It's looking pretty sketchy outside already. Central low should pass about 200mi to the West between Noon and 2PM Saturday, but the next high tide is around 1:45AM.

Have had a late April litter rescue kitten here since June, a big step for me after a devastating loss in 2010, and two more 4 months apart in 2015. She's freaking out more than usual, but what's weird is she's ignoring me. Usually she won't stop eating me, have lacerations on all limbs in various stages of healing.

I have no where to go and no money for a room, so I'm sheltering in place. But now I'm worried about these big pine trees on the property. Even in a dead calm they look like they're falling down.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Took a while for me to realize
you are in Virginia . . . .

Good Luck to you !

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks. It worked, I still have power.

At 10:30PM, the creek is just over the bottom of the dock. It's a little over 3 hours until high tide, and I don't know which high tide it is, but an onshore wind won't be pushing the water shorewards until the low passes this latitude tomorrow post-noonish, hopefully weakened.

gY1miqY_d.webp

Of course, here is nothing like Florida, with Tampa Bay drained and sharks swimming the streets of Fort Myers, nor South Carolina.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
bykfixer is about an hour and twenty mins away from me under normal conditions. I want to get him out here to visit, it's much darker conditions than his locale.

The creek is about to swallow the dock.
dtAX8bv_d.webp

That is a big female oak tree about 50ft away. Wind is dying down, plenty more bands of rain to come.

iPad mini Gen 5 with
LeeF 3x18650, SF KT4, FM G4 socket, WA1185, McClicky in some gnarly tc of unknown make RPM styled, possibly RPM, KeepPower IMR18650 3200mAh, all but cells courtesy of Greenbean.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
He lives at a place with hurricane evacuation route signs pointing away from there. I live at a place where most evacuees drive past looking for even higher ground.

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remember seeing the hurricane evacuation route signs when I lived in S. FL, don't recall seeing any here, but maybe I did see some on 14. I forgot you lived near the river on lower ground. I just figured you were inland and safer. My friend lives across the bridge at Jordan Pt Rd from there, 1.7mi up the hill, but his land is a depression and lower than everything around it, has a big drainage pond everything seems to flow into, but it was dry a few months ago. I need to give him a call to see how big the pond is now.

GOES16-AL092022-13-1000x1000.gif

Looks impressive, but feels like post-ts Ian has lost its teeth. Slight breeze here but no rain.

Appreciate the moral support, fellas. It was hairy for awhile, but I'm glad I didn't turn into a cautionary tale.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Where I live at there are some hotels now so some evacuees stop there nowdays, because they don't have to go farther inland to find a place to stay until the storm passes. But most keep going past. The evacuation route aims north west of my area.

I live about 25 vertical feet below my pop's house, which is about 3 football fields away and when I went to check on it there was more evidence of Ian than on my street.