If Only ... It Could Be The Best

Witterings

Enlightened
If you could take one torch and make some changes so it potentially became in your opinion ... The Best, OF The Best, Of The Best ... which torch would it be and what would the changes be???

I'll start the ball rolling ..... Jetbeam / Niteye II Pro ... Plus points as it is ....

Tiny, so easy to pocket and probably the best beam profile I have of any torch with a mix between throw for something so small but still has decent spill ... love this little torch but could also be really pee'd off with it because it's so close ... yet so far from ideal.

Things that would make it massively better.

Warmer Tint ... would make a huge difference or at least the option of cool vs neutral white as the only current option is quite cool and harsh on the eyes ...

Modes ... the 100 lm I think is at least that compared to other quality brand torches ... you don't need that most of the time ... One more mode before that round the 60 lm level and it'd make it much easier on the eye for general walking and could massively increase it's run time making it even more appealing than it currently is.

Other options for them.

If you've changed the tint / modes to extend run time, use the same head size head offering the same brilliant beam pattern and put it on a AA and a 18650 (Thinking DQG Tiny size here) but keep both of the torches as small as possible and you'd have a complete winner throughout!!!!

It's quite frustrating because it is such a perfect mix between having a reasonable throw .. especially for it's size, but also a decent spill which is where so many "throwers" fall down.

So what have you got that you can easily see how to make it even better .... to the extent it'd become your all time favourite and what are the changes you'd make???

Johnnyh

Enlightened
My Elzetta Bravo. Love the light, and putting in a Malkoff M61N made it near perfect to me. The high/low tail cap is easy to use and covers most of my uses. Yet....every time I use my little Photon Freedom, I can't help but wonder why the UI in that tiny piece of plastic couldn't be used in bigger lights. Click once for high, click and hold for infinitely variable ramp up and release when desired output is reached. If I could get that interface in my Bravo, I'd have perfection.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only the Fenix E01 had the 95+CRI Yuji LED, it would then...be perfect.

geokite

Newly Enlightened
Olight S Mini, my edc. Add some sort of flashing battery meter. Not much to ask, I know...

noboneshotdog

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this may not be popular, but I would love a cherry picked Zebralight SC600FD PLUS with the new programmable UI and a MAGNETIC TAILCAP. I want magnets on everything after getting used to them with my Armytek and Olights that have them.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
If only the Zebralight SC5c Mk II had a circuit that was truly, undoubtedly, undeniably constant current, without any PW-whatsitcalled or pulsing schemes, and was also offerred as a TC5c, it would be difficult to unseat it as the best and brightest. If only the McGizmo Haiku AA High CRI had no crenellations, it also could be the best.

Actually, it's pretty simple what the ideal qualities are:
  • High CRI emitter that is bonded on Copper
  • Constant Current Driver (noiseless, heat sinked in Copper in a Copper pill)
  • No Crenellations, Smooth Bezel
  • Compatible with All Chemistries and similarly close-sized cells
  • Low Voltage Cut-off for Any Chemistry (smart driver recognizes what chem cells are)
  • Dual-stage Mechanical Tail Clickie (one that can handle many amps)
  • Potted Electronics
  • Sensible Host Material (no plastic! Al, Cu, FeCrNi, or Ti only)
  • Sapphire or Borosillicate Glass Lens
  • Orange Peel Reflector
  • Dual Bypassed Springs (at both ends of battery tube)

It isn't asking for a lot, but so far, none exist with all possible best qualities. C'mon, manufacturers, wake up!

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
If only the Zebralight SC5c Mk II had a circuit that was truly, undoubtedly, undeniably constant current, without any PW-whatsitcalled or pulsing schemes, and was also offerred as a TC5c, it would be difficult to unseat it as the best and brightest. If only the McGizmo Haiku AA High CRI had no crenellations, it also could be the best.

• Low Voltage Cut-off for Any Chemistry (smart driver recognizes what chem cells are)
  • Potted Electronics
  • Orange Peel Reflector

It isn't asking for a lot, but so far, none exist with all possible best qualities. C'mon, manufacturers, wake up!

My Haiku has the tiniest crenelations possible really.
What is wrong with them?

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, and for different size classifications:

If only the Four sevens MMU-X3 could have three XHP35 instead of three XML2.

If only the Nitecore TM06 could have four XHP50.2, instead of four XML2.

If only a P60 quad drop in could have four XHP35, instead of four XPL.

If only the Fenix RC40 could have six XHP50.2, instead of six XML2.

If only the Eagletac SX25L3 could have one XHP70.2, instead of one MT-G2.

If only the Noctigon Meteor M43 could have twelve XHP35.

I would love an Elzetta Alpha2​. Basically it would be the current Alpha lengthened to hold 2 x CR123a batteries. It could be a little bit brighter given the doubling of voltage or just run a bit longer, either would be great. The light is superb as-is but since the clip rides in the middle of the light it carries to high to stay in a pocket. And Alpha2​ would still be more compact than a Bravo AVS while being a great size for EDC.

My next wish would be for Malkoff to bring out N and W versions of all their MDC lights. If I could get a single mode MDC-N and a single mode higher-voltage N for my 2 cell body that would rock!

My last MDC wish would be a High/Low ring for the MDCs. I understand that it can't be made to fit but hey, if I'm just wishing...;)

I would also love to see M61 dropins with solid acrylic optics instead of reflectors. Not to replace but as an option.

Oh, thought of one more; a new dedicated WML from Elzetta. Something with an integral mount that has a flat enough form factor to run at 12:00 on an AR. I'm thinking something like the Inforce WML or Surefire X300 Ultra but with Elzetta quality and toughness.

night.hoodie

Enlightened
My Haiku has the tiniest crenelations possible really.
What is wrong with them?

I know it is taboo... but I will honestly speak my mind out of respect. The only problem with them is that they exist, and they serve no purpose. Let a flashlight be what it is, and avoid tacking on extra unused functionality. One can not serve two masters. That is all. Even with them, it is a work of art. But there should at least be an option to have a smooth bezel.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the "Best"? in my opinion out of my collection of roughly $12,000 of lights I have collected since 1996 the answer to this one is simple...an IP68 rated Zebralight SC600 MkIII HI..

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
...the "Best"? in my opinion out of my collection of roughly $12,000 of lights I have collected since 1996 the answer to this one is simple...an IP68 rated Zebralight SC600 MkIII HI..

It might already be that, just not claiming to be so.
When was the last time dust somehow made it into the head of any of your IPX8 lights from the better known makers, if it had no defects and you had never disassembled it?
And again, the 8 in IP68 is no better than the 8 in IPX8.
Unless there's a defect with the press fit button and head bezels or their seals, or something wrong with the tailcap, ZLs are as good as IPX8. So, really no practical difference between IP68 and IPX8 except the writing on the box in this case.

scs

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. I guess efficiency and constant output for the entire stated runtime is on few people's list.

TCY

Enlightened

Tell you a little secret, I once asked ZL about their IPX7 rating, their reply was: "We actually believe that the waterproofness of all of our lights are better than any other popular brands. The three possible ingress points (glass, switch cover, and tail cap) are all designed and verified thoroughly and manufactured to high standards."

So based on their confidence and that ZL makes quality lights, I'd say that ZL lights are IPX8 as per Fenix/Nitecore/etc. standard, they are just being conservative when it comes to ratings.

I remember a guy posting on the Reddit flashlight subforum to praise the waterproofness of his SC62W (or another model, can't remember): tossed around/under the pool as a toy for over an hour and still kicking. Stories like this verifies ZL's confidence.

TCY

Enlightened
For me: ZL SC63 housing, XP-L2 or XHP50.2, 4500K CCT, 90+CRI, single 18650, the new SC5c fully customizable UI, and I'm done buying flashlights. Probably. I pre-ordered an AA headlamp version of this (the H53Fc) and I'm super excited.

I realised I was basically describing a future SC64. C'mon ZL do your magic:popcorn:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it is taboo... but I will honestly speak my mind out of respect. The only problem with them is that they exist, and they serve no purpose. Let a flashlight be what it is, and avoid tacking on extra unused functionality. One can not serve two masters. That is all. Even with them, it is a work of art. But there should at least be an option to have a smooth bezel.

nevermind

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic

• Potted Electronics
  • Orange Peel Reflector

All for $32.99, right? :crackup:

Wow-ee this is exciting.

I'm surprised to see so few makers define the "X" in their intrusion rating as dust can be a light killer as well. Working in the construction industry dust intrusion is more prevalent than water. Yet very few lights define how dust proof their products are.
With CNC manufacturing and a couple of properly lubricated silicone o-rings a water tight light isn't that big of a deal these days.

Yet a light rated at IP68 vs an X8?
Simply put the 68 is just as water tight against the forces of those ginormous hydrogen and oxygen combos compared to the microscopic dust particles. So if I see a IP68 my brain would figure it's a light more suited for the extremes of both the occasional dunk into 3' of water vs a IPX8.
In my industry sometimes we test pipes with low pressure air because air can show leaks that high pressure water won't go. When it absolutely positively has to be sealed we look at the dust proof rating(s), and only look at the water proof rating(s) for how well it guards against liquid wicking in (think dry sponge) over periods of time knowing a proper coating over said items (o-ring lube for example) with repel the intrusion of liquid molecules.

Example would be a traffic signal light. Dust kills those way sooner than water. A simple gasket keeps wind driven rain out, but pollens and other dust pollutions get past the water tight gasket and cause contact issues. Matter of fact I just changed a headlight bulb on my work truck that was faulted by the intrusion of dust on the job site.

Last edited: