Ikea New rechargeable batteries and charger

Cekid

Newly Enlightened
@since they are some version of eneloop pro i asked the question here...same things applies to them...

ChibiM

Enlightened
Since we don't know exactly which "generation" is underneath the IKEA wrapper it is probably better to keep them separate when talking about eneloop Pro. We know that eneloops have changed over the years, but we cant say that from IKEA batteries. I agree that High Capacity lsd cells are more prone to damage though. But in this discussion it might be better to distinguish them from eachother. Because I don't believe they are the same quality/generation as the latest eneloop Pro.

SoCalTiger

Newly Enlightened
some people say how those ikea ladda 2450 ( to be honest they are talking about eneloop pro, same thing) are fast loosing capacity and that you have original 2450 maybe a short amount of time? story goes like this: everything is fine at the beginning but only after a few cycles its capacity is dropped, they becomes "lazy" etc...is it true? i have them for awhile but it's too early to say anything about those claims...

I did a Google search the other day and I found some guy who tested the LADDAs through multiple charge/discharge cycles and they held good capacity through about 200 cycles. These self-discharge at a higher rate than LSD though. So, it just depends on what you want to use these batteries for.

Kurt_Woloch

Enlightened
OK... excuse me for linking to AACycler's site AGAIN...

http://www.aacycler.com/battery/aa/

If you look at the chart under "AA High Capacity", you see the Ladda cells on top, outdoing the next best "equivalent" batteries (Eneloop Pro) by nearly 50%, although they have a bit less capacity. I had a conversation with Oscar (AACycler) about that, and he suspected it's because the LADDA cells tested are the newest ones (from 9/2016) while all other cells are older (Eneloop Pro are from 7/2015 and 6/2016, and Fujitsu Black are from 3/2014).

Yes, this doesn't come close to the cycles a regular Eneloop cell can deliver... but they are rated at 500 cycles, not 2100. These figures are under near optimum conditions, so in real life (discharging them to 0.9 V or lower every time and using the "usual" charging algorithm) only a fraction of that number can be expected, so I still wouldn't be surprised if they only do 100 cycles in real life.

About the higher self-discharge rate... as far as I know, they are supposed to be LSD cells, like all "Ready to use" cells are. They do self-discharge a bit faster than regular Eneloops though, though Amazon's version give a higher self discharge rate than Panasonic's, so I don't know which one would apply here. It should fall somewhere between 70% and 85% charge retention after a year, I think, while for regular Eneloops it's 90% after 12 months and 70% after 10 years.

I did a Google search the other day and I found some guy who tested the LADDAs through multiple charge/discharge cycles and they held good capacity through about 200 cycles. These self-discharge at a higher rate than LSD though. So, it just depends on what you want to use these batteries for.

wkearney99

Newly Enlightened
Anyone with the Storhogen care to comment about it's ability to trickle charge?

I've got one and it seems to be unable to keep batteries in it. As in, you'd expect to be able to 'load it up' and have batteries ready whenever.

Not with the one I've got. You can leave cells in there, and they'll charge. The little LCD battery gauge for each of them ticks up until full.

Great, right? Not really, because if you leave them in there the gauge still says full but eventually they discharge. This without any change to the LCD gauge level.

If you pop one loose and re-insert it the charger will update the gauge, and it'll be near dead.

My question is this something others are seeing? That this is 'designed behavior'? Or is mine defective?

Should I be able to pull AA or AAA cells in this and have them kept topped up? Or not?

Tamadite

Newly Enlightened
@SilverFox, post#31: Does that logic applies even if the battery is partially discharged?

Last edited:

david57strat

Enlightened
Re: Ikea New rechargeable batterries and charger

Actually, I'm a bit disappointed by this change. OK, there are now high capacity AA cells at 2450 mAh, but they have jumped up in price by at least 30% to € 6,50. And they are only rated at 500 charge cycles while the previous 2000 mAh cells proved more durable than that in a cycle test. The other end is now AA cells at 1000 mAh, so that's only half the previous capacity at a bit lower price.

Anyway... the 2450 mAh cells have specs suspiciously like Eneloop Pro's. Sadly you can only see them from the side at the webpage, and you don't see which country they were made in (Japanese Ladda anyone?)

I wouldn't be surprised if they were the equivalent of Eneloop Pros. I read that in a review thread posted by respected reviewer, HKJ, here, on CPF. This is what prompted me to buy them, in the first place, and I have no regrets.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...w-of-Ikea-Ladda-AA-2450mAh-(White)-703-038-76

Yes - the 900 mAh and 2450 NiMhs are, in fact made in Japan.

9mnCc5S.jpg

I'm not crazy about their charger line-up, though. I prefer to charge them in some Nitecore SC4s, and they work out very well for these, and many other batteries.

wxSrwbh.jpg

I don't agree with their suggested charge rates, either. I charge all of my AA and AAA NiMhs at 500 mA, and have had no issues, whatsoever, with these batteries, in the time that I've been using them. I was able to pick these up at my local IKEA store, which is about ten minutes away from here, where they had plenty of stock, and for around $1.90 USD, a piece, after taxes.

No complaints, here :)

Last edited:

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Re: Ikea New rechargeable batterries and charger

Hello Tamadite,

Welcome to CPF.

Yes. Low charge rates make it difficult to detect the drop in voltage associated with approaching a full charge.

Tom

SweD

Newly Enlightened
I don't have a tremendous experience with the IKEA products, but I do own some. The 2450 cells, I stand by, they are great. The Storhögen charger shares its total amperage between cells, from what I understand, but their 4-cell charger seems to work well, I have a friend who has one, and it works. Simple as can be, but it works. I would stay away from the 12 bay one, though, unless you only charge a few at a time.