I'm about to become a statistic ... And why you should enjoy every day!

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
I quit smoking in August of 2012. In the spring of 2013, I spoke with my aunt Dina in Florida and told her about the refillable ecigarettes that had helped me quit, and hoped that she would try them and hopefully quit her long habit of smoking. In 2014 she told me she'd used ecigs and managed to quit smoking. I felt like I had helped.

About 6 weeks ago, I get a call from my mother, who was visiting them in Fl. She told me that my aunt had experienced a "spell" where she had walked into the kitchen, and basically lost mental track of what was going on. My uncle found her standing there staring blankly, and took her to the hospital. Keep in mind, I just had another aunt die a few years ago after suffering through Alzheimer's. So that's what I assumed was wrong with Dina.

But they took her to the hospital, and after a couple days of awaiting test results, they had found 'spots' on her lung and her brain. Within 2 weeks of this sudden spell she suffered, she had lost much of her short term memory, and about 1-2 weeks later they found a whole bunch of new tumors in her lungs and brain.

As of last week she was finished with her radiation treatment, but she is now hospitalized and they have decided to forgo the chemotherapy they had planned. She doesn't seem to even be communicating verbally anymore either. It took just 5 weeks to get from no symptoms and seemingly healthy, to hospitalized and unable to communicate. I haven't even mentioned the list of other health related issues that have also begun plaguing her since this began, but it's not good.

Several years ago, I had a client in his early 80s who had never smoked and was a retired doctor. He came down with lung cancer. He went through treatment and seemingly became healthy again as the cancer subsided. Everyone thought he was fine. Then about a year later his tests showed it was returning. They said the earlier treatment that had been effective wouldn't work or just couldn't be used again(???) So from that time period, he went from looking healthy to losing huge amounts of weight and had literally become completely unresponsive verbally, and looked like a skeleton. That was just maybe 3 weeks after he was told the cancer had returned. He died about 2 days later.

Its absolutely stunning that "they" haven't been able to do more to help cancer victims.

ven

Flashaholic
Fantastic RBR:rock:

Hope your doing good martin.

Lightlover to, not seen much of you on here, hope all is good your way.

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish you luck, RBR. Most likely you will be OK. A couple of months ago I have discovered that there is some sort of "small cell" cancer does exist — two men known to me just faded out in no time... They even had no option to fight, doctors told them that treatment will do nothing — just extend the agony.

So, if you may fight and live a normal life, you win. I wish you strength and positive, optimistic perception of life :) Remember those two who had nothing, but to try to go with dignity. My wife just returned from the funeral...

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
OMG that's great to hear RBR! :) Are you still going through treatment at all? I know there is no definitive total cure, but everyday not having to go through total hell is great. I'm doing pretty well overall too and hopefully in a few more months will be "finished" with my long term treatments for good I hope. Best wishes to everyone else on this thread too who has been or is going through unfortunate stuff like this!

God bless Martinae. RBR and others who may be fighting cancer. Keep the positive attitude and faith.:thumbsup:

Sadly, not everyone makes it. My best friend Joe is dying from pancreatic cancer. Amazingly he has had it almost 4 years. From what I have seen and been told the average person succumbs to the insidious disease in 1 or 2 years

Joe is a fighter and still living life, even though he is on hospice. 10 months ago he was 210 pounds,now is 135 pounds,it is so sad, he is so thin.

Like I said he lives each day to the fullest. Tomorrow we are playing frisbee Golf which he enjoys. I do not know how much strength he has but we will have fun no matter what.

Reality sucks sometimes. Especially when the people we love and care about are not fortunate to be a survivor.

There are many good stories and those are the ones that we should focus on to give all of us strength. One of which is my friend Louise who is a breast cancer survivor. It has been over 5 years now.It is amazing how it changed her in a positive way. She is a different person with a different outlook on life.

It is not what happens in our life that is important. It is how we react to what happens.

Keep the faith, keep the positive attitude and miracles can and do happen.

Taz80

Enlightened
That's good to hear RBR. I've been clean for 19 years now, it's easy for me to keep track because my son was five weeks old when I went under the knife. Even after 19 years I still get nervous when its time for the doctor's visit. It's important to try and keep a positive attitude, it helps to be with people who are positive and fun and treat you normally. Try to stay away from downers.

harro

Enlightened
Hi all, sincere best wishes and regards to Cancer sufferers and carers and their families/friends.

I was diagnosed with a soft tissue/bone cancer called Leio Mio Sarcoma ( henceforth LMS ) about 12 months ago. Its a very rare cancer, and its total number of diagnosed cases are made up of approximately 80% women and 20% men. In Australia, diagnosed cases number less than 100. LMS is a very nasty cancer, but its also a very slow moving cancer. In my case, I started to find that sitting and squatting were becoming uncomfortable for me. A nagging discomfort in my groin that just wouldn't quit. So, under extreme pressure and duress from Mrs harro, off I went, to my family GP. After prodding and poking of the area in question, I was sent for an Ultrasound IMMEDIATELY. The U/S tech played around an area in my right side groin for quite some time. He said, ' Mike, don't go anywhere ( i'm on the table starkers, well, a tee shirt on anyway ), i'll be back in a sec.' He returned with the duty radiologist and together, they spent quite a bit of time looking at a certain area of my groin. After what seemed an eternity, the radiologist said to me, ' see that egg shaped thing there Mike, that shouldn't be there '. What followed was a torrent of feelings and emotion, washing over me, that has to be experienced to be believed. Well, Scanfest '19 ensued, with biopsies, more ultrasounds, several CT scans, two MRI's and a Petscan. The decision to remove the tumor ( now identified as a 6.3 CM malignant LMS non-metastasized tumor ) was made. I was just along for the ride!! Normally, a course of radiation treatment would be undertaken prior to the surgery, but it was deemed more important to remove the tumor first, in my case.
Duly removed, I was referred to a surgical oncologist, a surgical urologist and a reconstructive surgeon. First step was a five week course of high dose radiation in the affected area to reduce the size of the scar tissue area ( from the tumor removal ). Yet more scans followed, proving inconclusive. By this stage, its nearing Xmas '19, and to say you felt yourself to be in limbo, would be an understatement. Next to come ( late Jan '20 ) was clearance margins surgery, normally done at the first surgery, but due to the urgency and location, was not done. My surgery consisted of clear margin work, and reconstructive surgery, for a total of about 9 hours under general anesthetic. The reconstructive work included taking a flap of skin from my leg, still with its own blood supply attatched, moving it up to my thigh, then tunneling it through the flesh of my upper leg, to the groin. Once there, it was attatched and so on and so forth. I was 8 days in hospital, the first 4 of which were flat on my back and prohibited from any movement whatsoever. The following days were learning to walk, toilet, shower etc, and just generally get mobile again. On the eve of my discharge from hospital, my surgical oncologist, Rob, walked into my room with a sheaf of papers in his hand. In those couple of seconds from him entering, to standing by the bedside, my life literally flashed before my eyes!! This was the results of the pathology from the surgery. Honestly, I didn't want to know, at that point. To say I was pooping bricks would be a gross understatement!! He looked at me and said ' of the four layers of skin/flesh removed, the first with the scar tissue showed a 5mmsq. patch of disease, the following three layers were totally clear '. At that point I was numb all over and my eyes succumbed to the onion fumes from onions someone was cutting up somewhere nearby. Rob was just smiling. He said, ' I thought that might make your day '. The following day I was released from hospital, to begin four weeks of home recovery. I have had a Petscan and CT scan since, and they showed me to be cancer free. I am now starting the five year checks ( as RBR has just finished, biggest congrats mate ), four six monthly checkups, then three, yearly checks. I cant say yet i'm out of the woods, but I sure as heck can say I can see the edge of them pretty clearly.

During the last twelve months, I would have been TOTALLY LOST without the invaluable love and support of my immediate family ( Mrs harro and son Tom ), family and friends. NEVER TAKE THAT FOR GRANTED. I would not have coped on my own. I have learnt a totally new set of life priorities, things I thought were important seem so trivial now. My friends support has been so important to me. Everyone has been so supportive. Really, I have just been along for the ride, on this journey. So many people have worked tirelessly for my wellbeing, and that's something for which, I will be eternally grateful. It is a debt I can never repay. I feel as lucky as if I had won a major lotto prize.

I can however, sympathise firsthand with anyone newly diagnosed with cancer, and my PM box is always open for someone/their carers to discuss what they are going through, if they so desired.

The facts of life are, not everyone will have an outcome like mine, and for those people, you have nothing but best wishes and hope and thoughts and prayers.

This pic is a couple of days post surgery, and of the skin donor site. No pics of the groin area. Note the purple sharpie markings, I think the surgeons played tic tac toe on my leg while I was under.
m3U0BQ6.jpg

Same site, five and a half weeks post surgery, the TM16GT for a bit of scale,
oFaUXIg.jpg

The skin receiving site is doing as well as the donor site is.

Cheers from Downunder,
Mike.

Last edited:

martinaee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Harro, that's incredibly intense and you're super brave to go through an immediate surgery like. I know how absolutely mind-******* it is to be told such hard and intense news and then immediately be pushed into action to tackle it. It sounds like you are doing pretty well all things considered? I guess you've been tackling this for a bit already, but let me know if you want to discuss anything in particular. All cancers are very different yet have in common a lot of the same experiences. Keep that light of yours shining!!!