How will you observe 9/11 Patriot Day?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I lived in your neck of the woods, I'd display my NRA membership more often.

Around here, I don't want to advertise that I have guns at home.
It's a sad thing that that is what it has come down to. You have to be careful that you aren't followed from the shooting range to your home. Bad guys could come back there when they see you leave/are gone, and burglarize your home.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
America already has Patriots Day.... It's April 19th.
Handful of very significant events took place on that date, going back centuries when the nation was first founded. Also, it's an official holiday. Why isn't it celebrated? Simple.... Those on the extreme Left despise it even exists. So they pretend it doesn't. Won't even acknowledge it. Those on the extreme Right like to conduct acts of domestic terrorism on that date. They like to pretend it's their holiday. Well, screw that. I still celebrate it.

As for 9/11, same as every year; in quiet personal reflection.
Then at work, in case dumb-*** protestors turn up, I'm ready.
Both in terms of lights, and my mini fire-extinguisher sized canister.
(Of Pepperspray.) Just in case. You never know.

EDIT: Clarification.

Last edited:

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
America already has Patriots Day.... It's April 19th.
Handful of very significant events took place on that date, going back centuries when the nation was first founded. Also, it's an official holiday. Why isn't celebrated? Simple.... Those on the extreme Left despise it even exists. So they pretend it doesn't. Won't even acknowledge it. Those on the extreme Right like to conduct acts on domestic terrorism on that date. They like to pretend it's their holiday. Well, screw that. I still celebrate it.

You are correct, Sir. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriots'_Day

Someone buy that man a cheeseburger.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wanted to get the Sabre Red one of that size, but it was a bit pricey, and at the time I was looking to buy (during the COVID/BLM/TRUMP DERANGEMENT SYNDROME) it was difficult to source, so I went with bear spray instead. Now I'm set for man/woman/non-binary and beast! I do need to review X-Files for alien countermeasures... :alien::crackup:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wanted to get the Sabre Red one of that size, but it was a bit pricey, and at the time I was looking to buy (during the COVID/BLM/TRUMP DERANGEMENT SYNDROME) it was difficult to source, so I went with bear spray instead. Now I'm set for man/woman/non-binary and beast! I do need to review X-Files for alien countermeasures... :alien::crackup:
Good to always be prepared. Aliens have no noses, but huge eyes. So, I'm sure the spray will still work.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast

Might I suggest you try Galls

I've used them for many years for equipment, etc.

Many LEO's, Firefighters, and EMS folks use them

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Might I suggest you try Galls

I've used them for many years for equipment, etc.

Many LEO's, Firefighters, and EMS folks use them
That's where I normally shop, or have shopped a lot in the past. Lately I've become a little disenchanted with them because they don't have some higher quality stuff that I want. I think I did check them, and at the time the OC product that I wanted was out of stock. I think during the BLM riots that a lot of agencies were stocking up on it. So in a pinch, you go with a substitute.

idleprocess

Flashaholic

It's a tad bit unwise - and in my state "in my house" also means "in my vehicle". Got a neighbor with a placard by their door to the effect of this house protected by the second amendment visible from the street, a PSA to would-be burglars that firearms can be added to the tally.

For what it's worth around here it seems to be yard signs that attract theft/vandalism rather than bumper stickers. So far.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast

The local commie rag here told everyone in their news story about me that I have over 50 guns in my home. And told my address. I had to turn them in as soon as I got out of jail, and gave me a copy of the charge with all the names and addresses of the alleged victims before I had even turned anything in.. Odd right.. ? Walked home through town in the freezing rain and over snow banks. Good thing they posted that so all the local drug dealers and thieves know where to get some. I'm still wrestling with that. VERY RESPONSIBLE JOURNALISM. It was pretty devastating to me when they not only posted my address, but also I had to turn in all of my guns during that day. And the lying news story most of all.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a tad bit unwise - and in my state "in my house" also means "in my vehicle". Got a neighbor with a placard by their door to the effect of this house protected by the second amendment visible from the street, a PSA to would-be burglars that firearms can be added to the tally.

For what it's worth around here it seems to be yard signs that attract theft/vandalism rather than bumper stickers. So far.
I have never done bumper stickers, or anything that attracts attention to me by mindless idiots. Yard signs would be a no no for me as well. You have to live in a very comfortable and different world to think that you can get away with that without attracting morons.

Mindsets like that.. I'm wondering if they are just looking for trouble. Just a guess.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a sad thing that that is what it has come down to. You have to be careful that you aren't followed from the shooting range to your home. Bad guys could come back there when they see you leave/are gone, and burglarize your home.
I've had that near experience before. They realized I was onto them and they quickly got lost.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stay away from private run shooting ranges. Go to sheriff's run ranges and you won't find criminals looking for victims

Another option, recreational shooting on federal land. We're only about 30 mins away from BLM

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The local commie rag here told everyone in their news story about me that I have over 50 guns in my home. And told my address. I had to turn them in as soon as I got out of jail, and gave me a copy of the charge with all the names and addresses of the alleged victims before I had even turned anything in.. Odd right.. ? Walked home through town in the freezing rain and over snow banks. Good thing they posted that so all the local drug dealers and thieves know where to get some. I'm still wrestling with that. VERY RESPONSIBLE JOURNALISM. It was pretty devastating to me when they not only posted my address, but also I had to turn in all of my guns during that day. And the lying news story most of all.
Hope you sued them for Libel.
As far as yard signs, only ones worth putting out are the ones that warn everyone that you have an alarm monitoring system in place. Also, I don't believe in those fake signs that look real but have no system backing them up.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Can't do that when they take your rep away in the news and you can't even get a job working in a highway crew.
That's actually the best time to sue for that. Especially if your attorney can prove that you can't find employment due to the hatchet job they did on your rep. and your good name. An attorney working such a case will often times wait until his client wins before collecting payment.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if that happens, better timing will be later on. Believe me I want to. But I have other things more pressing than suing these assholes.

Nobody around here likes this newspaper anyways.. for a lot of reasons. They lock their doors these days and you can't get in is what I heard from someone.. should give anyone a clue. A person would always be able to walk in there until recently. I used to work in the damn place back in the late 90's.. They have a lot of young idiot reporters now who post a lot of garbage about people. And they can't even spell most of the time. I can see why they lock their doors. Sad state of affairs.

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I might watch the ceremonies, or part of them, if I happen to be up. Truth is after living through it any reminders are painful. I was up late doing work the night before. Then my father wakes me up. He tells me a plane hit the South WTC Tower. At first I thought a Cessna or something similar. Then I watch the footage. It's a freaking airliner, and doing cruising speed besides. I'm thinking instant death for everyone on the plane, plus everyone in the building within a few floors of where it hit. Then a few minutes after another plane hits the North Tower. At that point I think everyone watching knew this wasn't an accident, but a deliberate attack. Then about 35 minutes later they tell us yet another plane has crashed into the Pentagon.

I wrote a report on the WTC in college. I remember the towers were designed to withstand a strike from an airliner going at full speed, so the thought of collapse didn't even enter my mind. I figured they'll eventually get everyone who didn't die out of the towers, then repair the damage. Then right before 10 the South Tower collapses. My parents and I are sitting there in stunned silence. 29 minutes later the North Tower goes. Both times I'm in awe at how big the dust cloud is, basically engulfing all of lower Manhattan.

I later learn about the fourth plane which was fortunately stopped, but at the cost of the lives of everyone on board. The rest of the day is just surreal. Repeats of the planes hitting the towers, the towers collapsing, hurried opinions from experts of terrorism, plus the general dread that this wasn't over. We were wondering what was next. The Empire State Building? The Statue of Liberty? Late that afternoon WTC 7 collapsed, further adding to the feeling of our city literally crumbling around us.

The footage around the towers was like a horror movie after a nuclear holocaust. Dust everywhere, debris, fires, crushed rescue vehicles, etc. The worst part was footage of the towers before they fell. Some of what looked like "debris" falling was people jumping. I can't even fathom how bad things were in the towers if the better choice was to jump 100 floors to certain death.

I didn't sleep for probably 48 hours. I'm thinking this is just the primer. They might unleash nuclear weapons next on NY or one of the other large cities. I couldn't do anything, but I wanted to be awake if the end came.

In the aftermath I searched lists online of possible victims. The name of my neighbor's son came up. Not long after my mother found out from his mother that he was gone. Fortunately, he was the only victim I knew.

I went down there with my mother as soon as they reopened parts of lower Manhattan, roughly two weeks later. As the precession of people made their way closer, there was stunned silence as soon as the remnants of the towers became visible. There was also the smell of smoke and burning flesh. And scars on all the nearby buildings from when the towers fell. When I was a kid we all went to lower Manhattan with my grandparents. My maternal grandfather was fascinated by the towers going up. He took loads of pictures. I never dreamed I'd be around long enough to see them gone.

For many months afterwards I had nightmares. Among them was being in the towers, feeling the floors getting hot, then the feeling of weightlessness when the collapse started. Was it my vivid imagination, or some of the victims sharing their last moments with me? I'll never know. I also had strange dreams where I was inside what I call ghost towers. Sort of like what was left behind after the real towers fell. No people inside, just eerie silence.

I last visited the site in 2018. On account of caring for my mother I can't go down there as often as I might like. I really hate the so-called Freedom Tower. I wish we would have rebuilt the towers as they were, but better reinforced, instead of that awful monument to terrorism with no windows on the bottom floors. The best message we can send to these people is you won't keep us down. You knock it down, we'll rebuild it exactly as it was.