I'm still addicted to the old Maglites

mazzman

Newly Enlightened
This brings back good memories. I originally had the 4D (mid 70s?) but it was a bit too thick and unwieldy, and I have pretty big hands. Then I saw a 4C that a Texas County Sheriff friend had - it was worn down to the bare metal, no paint left, still worked great and much better balance and feel in the hand. Both models were often used to give a swift thump to unruly characters, and they were excellent for that purpose. After I got my first 6P I gave away my Maglites.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yea those old ones were the best, nothing mods better and easier than a mag, things you can do with them.

IMG_6188.JPG

IMG_6194.JPG

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Yea those old ones were the best, nothing mods better and easier than a mag, things you can do with them.

Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Tell us a little about them.

Are those 1C lights, with the yellow tail buttons? Did you fabricate the tail switches yourself?

Which ones are the brightest, and how many lumens?

What are the transparent tail caps functions?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, i made those myself, i made about half a dozen, C and D, those two is what I have left, others were given away to friends. One of them is a direct drive P7 led, not sure how many lumens it makes, probably 600-700 on fresh battery, and gradually drops as battery discharges, other has a fusion 36 drop in, they claim 800lm, probably a little inflated but it is still pretty bright.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Just scored a good deal on a near mint 4C Mag. The seller took a decent offer on it. I already have some spare aluminum OP reflectors, glass lenses, and LEDs. Most of my modded Mags are 2C and 3C. The 4C will make a nice one to carry in the vehicle. (It's not here yet, pic is an older one that I had)

May even add a paracord knotless wrap to it. I like how this one with two different colors of cord turned out.

SSCN1469.JPG

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Here is a story for ya. When I was an explorer with a local PD, I had a rechargeable maglite that I would lock into the car charger in the cruiser. I used it even when I worked as a security guard at the age of 18. I let a coworker borrow it and he lost it. I ended up getting 2 magchargers out of it because my coworker felt bad and GI Joes was going out of business. So then I carried one on me and one in my bag. Then the magcharger got upgraded by a Terralux single LED drop in. The other got the triple LED drop by the same company. Then I break the lens on one and was waiting on a new battery for the other. So I put those as projects at home and go out to buy the Maglite Magcharger LED. Used that for years and because I liked the newest iteration of the smaller C size LED magchargers, I bought one of those. Overtime my coworkers give me gifts of flashlights during Christmas or my birthday. So I ended up getting another magcharger and a mag tac rechargeable. Now I have all of those maglights around the house. I would hate to be the burglar that wakes me in the middle of the night, you are either getting thumped or buckshot.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just scored a good deal on a near mint 4C Mag. The seller took a decent offer on it. I already have some spare aluminum OP reflectors, glass lenses, and LEDs. Most of my modded Mags are 2C and 3C. The 4C will make a nice one to carry in the vehicle. (It's not here yet, pic is an older one that I had)

May even add a paracord knotless wrap to it. I like how this one with two different colors of cord turned out.

View attachment 56562
Nice 4c

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Overtime my coworkers give me gifts of flashlights during Christmas or my birthday.
Sounds like you've had pretty good luck when it comes to Maglites!

Thanks vicv. That one pictured above is actually a 3C. Here is the seller's photo of the new 4C, yet to arrive.

I already have every size of C & D Maglite, but when I run onto to good price on these near mint ones, they're hard to pass up. Good for modifying, and some are getting more scarce to come by.

1.jpg

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks vicv. That one pictured above is actually a 3C. Here is the seller's photo of the new 4C, yet to arrive.

I already have every size of C & D Maglite, but when I run onto to good price on these near mint ones, they're hard to pass up. Good for modifying, and some are getting more scarce to come by.

View attachment 56614
Thought it looked a bit small. I have a couple 3C myself. Favorite maglite size. Mine are still Incan but modded

jz6342

Newly Enlightened
I finally had to get rid of my old (1992ish) 3 C cell - I stupidly left batteries in it and it corroded beyond repair. I carried that light on duty for many years as both a Police Officer and Security Officer. I never treated it poorly, but I didn't baby it either and she had the battle scars to prove it. Adjusted a few attitudes with it back when you could do that. I bought a couple of the new LED models a few years ago and I have no doubt they'll out live me ;)

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
I finally had to get rid of my old (1992ish) 3 C cell - I stupidly left batteries in it and it corroded beyond repair. I carried that light on duty for many years as both a Police Officer and Security Officer. I never treated it poorly, but I didn't baby it either and she had the battle scars to prove it. Adjusted a few attitudes with it back when you could do that. I bought a couple of the new LED models a few years ago and I have no doubt they'll out live me ;)
Just don't use alkalines anymore

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm somehow not a fan of the 3C. I have a 2000s version. I think it is too big to pocket carry but not as much fun as a 5,6,or 7. I'm waiting to see if I like 4 but probably not. It's only advantage is that it can take a full pack of batteries no problem.

4DMag-Lite

Newly Enlightened
Being born in the 80's and growing up in the 80's/90's I'm a sucker for the Maglites myself. I have two 4Ds that I upgraded with Malkoff drop ins. One has a M61W, and the other has a M91T that I'm running on two 18650s with adapters.

About last year or so I came across their spectrum series and ended up picking up a Mini Mag AA in warm white and has four modes, I actually carry that light everyday at work

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
Oh gee I wonder where I seen that at. It almost got sent to another part of West Virginia but that messed up bezel was a turn off.
Yep, well I used the bezel nicks to help get a lower offer to go through. I have several spare heads that I've bought over the years for parts, so I have some mint black bezels, and some colored ones too. I may put a red one on it, and do a paracord grip with some red in the cord.

I finally had to get rid of my old (1992ish) 3 C cell - I stupidly left batteries in it and it corroded beyond repair. I carried that light on duty for many years as both a Police Officer and Security Officer. I never treated it poorly, but I didn't baby it either and she had the battle scars to prove it. Adjusted a few attitudes with it back when you could do that.
Thanks for chiming in. I always like hearing stories about old Mags. I bought some from a retired Pittsburgh officer a while back. He used one to break the window out of an overturned minivan to rescue a mother & child.

Too bad about the alkaleaks. I lost so many Mags over the years from alkaleaks, and got most replaced by Maglite or the battery companies, but these days I always use Tenergy Low Self Drain NiMH rechargeables. They're awesome. I like the full sized cells for the weight and heft factor - as in attitude adjustments, as you mention.

I'm somehow not a fan of the 3C. I have a 2000s version. I think it is too big to pocket carry but not as much fun as a 5,6,or 7. I'm waiting to see if I like 4 but probably not. It's only advantage is that it can take a full pack of batteries no problem.
Yes, 2C is great for sliding into a back pocket, or even a front, but the 3C is not bad - I like the extra length, and it's still not overly heavy. The 4C will probably ride around on the truck seat, along with a 2C that I keep in each vehicle. I currently have a 4D with a Malkoff dropin that rides around in one truck, but it's just a little too bulky and I don't use it much. Definitely a good self defense piece though, but I do like the C models much better.

Being born in the 80's and growing up in the 80's/90's I'm a sucker for the Maglites myself. I have two 4Ds that I upgraded with Malkoff drop ins. One has a M61W, and the other has a M91T that I'm running on two 18650s with adapters.
Kool! I'll bet you get some massive run time with those 18650s. But you're losing a little bit of the self defense factor, although the larger 4D size will get it done, I'd guess. Maybe I should try that with my heavy 4D. For 2 & 3 cell Mags, I definitely like full cells with the right size paper spacer to remove all battery rattle.

Thanks for the comments, folks. Glad there's still lots of Mag lovers out there.

Here's my 4D Malkoff. I started with a mint black Mag, but ended up using the semi-scratched camo head because the aluminum reflector fit down in a little better. Sometimes the bezels don't want to screw all the way down tight on the aluminum reflectors.

SSCN0901.JPG

SSCN0899.JPG

SSCN0894.JPG

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast

If that light came in that package it's an interesting historical footnote. The box has a 1993 copyright so it's very early in the panther logo era, but the light itself has the older bezel style. Would seem to indicate it's from a gap where Mag updated the packaging before the lights themselves. Mag can tell you when the light was made if you email them the serial number.

Guitar Guy

Enlightened
If that light came in that package it's an interesting historical footnote. The box has a 1993 copyright so it's very early in the panther logo era, but the light itself has the older bezel style. Would seem to indicate it's from a gap where Mag updated the packaging before the lights themselves. Mag can tell you when the light was made if you email them the serial number.
Yes, I kind of wondered about that in the back of my mind when I saw the panther on that package, but didn't think a lot of it, but I noticed that I didn't see the panther on the bezel. The seller talked like that is the package that it came in. He said that's why he took it out because the package was cracked anyway.

I probably will look into getting the date from Maglite. It's in the 500,000 range. I've gotten dates from them on most of my older Mags.

Thanks for pointing that out.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a story for ya. When I was an explorer with a local PD, I had a rechargeable maglite that I would lock into the car charger in the cruiser. I used it even when I worked as a security guard at the age of 18. I let a coworker borrow it and he lost it. I ended up getting 2 magchargers out of it because my coworker felt bad and GI Joes was going out of business. So then I carried one on me and one in my bag. Then the magcharger got upgraded by a Terralux single LED drop in. The other got the triple LED drop by the same company. Then I break the lens on one and was waiting on a new battery for the other. So I put those as projects at home and go out to buy the Maglite Magcharger LED. Used that for years and because I liked the newest iteration of the smaller C size LED magchargers, I bought one of those. Overtime my coworkers give me gifts of flashlights during Christmas or my birthday. So I ended up getting another magcharger and a mag tac rechargeable. Now I have all of those maglights around the house. I would hate to be the burglar that wakes me in the middle of the night, you are either getting thumped or buckshot.
Load mixture rock salt buckshot,, and let's hope that prospective burglar is homophobic ✊