In the USA is it legal to cuss out a cop?

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i want to be clear i just wondered ifs it legal lol/ i neevr well very seldem cuss anyone out i just want to know my rights as we should all know are rights..

Being a Gentleman is something the world no longer understands, nor respects. Tolerating other peoples' BS isn't worth it.... unless they sign your paycheck or could ruin your life.
The time has come for us to agree to disagree agreeably.

I love this song -

I don't drink coffee, I take tea, my dear
I like my toast done on one side
And you can hear it in my accent when I talk
I'm an Englishman in New York

See me walking down Fifth Avenue
A walking cane here at my side
I take it everywhere I walk

Oh, I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien

If "manners maketh man" as someone said
He's the hero of the day
It takes a man to suffer ignorance and smile
Be yourself no matter what they say

Modesty, propriety can lead to notoriety
You could end up as the only one
Gentleness, sobriety are rare in this society
At night a candle's brighter than the sun

Takes more than combat gear to make a man
Takes more than a license for a gun
Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can
A gentleman will walk but never run

He's the hero of the day

Be yourself no matter what they say (oh, I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien)

Englishman In New York Lyrics as written by Gordon Sumner

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please note I don't do this it isn't my style they have a hard job so I treat them with kindness and respect .but I always wondered if was legal to cuss them out? Becuzse I'm met a few cops who didn't deserve respect . But I just said yes sir and no sir wished them well but was thinking to self what a jerk
Giving them the middle finger is ok under like the first amendment or something. I think it is unnecessary though.

You are better off not speaking to them in English or just not saying anything at all. They say things in a way you probably don't understand or as to make you give up your rights. Like if you are in an automobile and step outside of it because they ask you have less rights and if they ask to come inside they can search.

Don't worry if they have a legal basis to do anything they yell at you and brandish weapons and act very rude. You will know the difference.

Toulouse42

Enlightened
The time has come for us to agree to disagree agreeably.

I love this song -

I don't drink coffee, I take tea, my dear
I like my toast done on one side
And you can hear it in my accent when I talk

See me walking down Fifth Avenue
A walking cane here at my side
I take it everywhere I walk

He's the hero of the day

Modesty, propriety can lead to notoriety
You could end up as the only one
Gentleness, sobriety are rare in this society
At night a candle's brighter than the sun

Takes more than combat gear to make a man
Takes more than a license for a gun
Confront your enemies, avoid them when you can
A gentleman will walk but never run

He's the hero of the day

Be yourself no matter what they say (oh, I'm an alien, I'm a legal alien)

Englishman In New York Lyrics as written by Gordon Sumner
That reminds me that I rather like the poem "If" by Rudyard Kipling.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Meanwhile in the EU....

Since when did Paris police officers start patrolling, unarmed?
Try that garbage here in America. See how many bullet-riddled protestors get dragged onto the sidewalk so that cars can get through.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they do have guns, Sig pistols and some Ruger Mini14 style rifles, but maybe they aren't allowed to use them?

I used to have another video where one doesn't even do anything when confronted by a man with a Kalashnikov.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kenny Rogers:

"You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away
And know when to run"

There's plenty talk dividing people these days. We don't know what that other person is going through. Try to cut some slack, but don't set yourself up as a victim, right?

If you want people to look down on you, maybe get yourself in more trouble, then go ahead and cuss at them. Hopefully you will rise above all that someday.

It is still protected speech, provided it does not result in causing harm to others or property.

Say a particularly vicious perp gets started raising a fuss over being pulled for speeding and hurls insults at the police officer, which then causes curious onlookers to gather, resulting in a large crowd that results in ruckus that results in a street fight or damaged property (ie riot). If that ends up happening as a result of the perp cussing at the police officer(s) it's illegal but to say "your momma wears combat boots you (insert curse word here)" is not.
I don't think that's accurate. If the perp were to incite violence, like saying "Hey all of you, help me attack this cop" then yes, that would be illegal. If a crowd gathered because the perp was simply exercising his first amendment right to be a nasty SOB I don't think there's a charge that would stick in any state without an explicit call to action.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I know all are cops I know the sheriff I know the deputy's al good folks I give respect to those who deserve it. They all are nice to me I guess they know I'ma bit autistic .I even thought about asking them for a job.id even clean there offices or I can run the rader from my back yard .

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe Raggie lives in Mayberry, NC?

Attachments

• AA4BA734-2F90-480E-84BF-029FEA49BD85.jpeg
    AA4BA734-2F90-480E-84BF-029FEA49BD85.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 12

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I don't think that's accurate. If the perp were to incite violence, like saying "Hey all of you, help me attack this cop" then yes, that would be illegal. If a crowd gathered because the perp was simply exercising his first amendment right to be a nasty SOB I don't think there's a charge that would stick in any state without an explicit call to action.
It's called "Disturbing the peace."
If everything is calm and peaceful outside, but a loud-mouth starts swearing up a storm because the cops are there just doing their job, not even initially focusing on him; yes, he can be arrested for disturbing the peace. Oh, and if he's dumb enough to resist arrest because he thinks he's just using his 1st Amendment right to Freedom of expression, well; that's a separate charge.

Meaning, even if a judge completely agrees with him that the police shouldn't have arrested him for disturbing the peace, the resisting arrest charge doesn't automatically get dismissed the way most folks think it does. Original charge gets dismissed but the one incurred due to that original charge, doesn't. If the guy resisted arrest without violence, he'll likely see a fine in many jurisdictions. Perhaps sentenced to time served or put on probation for a short term. Some jurisdictions could lead to jail-time.

Now a charge of resisting arrest with violence, is a different story. In many states, yeah that's a Felony! Imagine your initial charges getting dismissed, but ending up in prison for a few years because you were too aggressive in trying to stop the police from arresting you on that Disturbing the peace charge. And, when you get out; now you're a convicted felon. Good luck getting a decent-paying job in any field outside of Construction, doing hard manual labor.

It's called "Disturbing the peace."
If everything is calm and peaceful outside, but a loud-mouth starts swearing up a storm because the cops are there just doing their job, not even initially focusing on him; yes, he can be arrested for disturbing the peace. Oh, and if he's dumb enough to resist arrest because he thinks he's just using his 1st Amendment right to Freedom of expression, well; that's a separate charge.

Meaning, even if a judge completely agrees with him that the police shouldn't have arrested him for disturbing the peace, the resisting arrest charge doesn't automatically get dismissed the way most folks think it does. Original charge gets dismissed but the one incurred due to that original charge, doesn't. If the guy resisted arrest without violence, he'll likely see a fine in many jurisdictions. Perhaps sentenced to time served or put on probation for a short term. Some jurisdictions could lead to jail-time.

Now a charge of resisting arrest with violence, is a different story. In many states, yeah that's a Felony! Imagine your initial charges getting dismissed, but ending up in prison for a few years because you were too aggressive in trying to stop the police from arresting you on that Disturbing the peace charge. And, when you get out; now you're a convicted felon. Good luck getting a decent-paying job in any field outside of Construction, doing hard manual labor.
I think you missed something in translation as there is a rather large discrepancy in your example and the original post I quoted. Nowhere was resisting arrest or interfering with an investigation mentioned, among other issues. Simply saying words does not constitute disturbing the peace. The problem at large is there are loads of technicalities at play here, in various jurisdictions in various states. My point was that there is nowhere in America where saying words is a crime that doesn't have case law up to the US Supreme Court backing up that it's not a crime. Disturbing the peace is separate issue that may involve the very loud saying of words when a reasonable person would concluded not to. I'm also not claiming that you won't get arrested for saying words. Being arrested and committing a crime are also entirely separate issues.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I'm not exactly sure what you 'tried.' I'm also not sure who has to learn what 'the hard way.' This is very confusing and most likely entirely fruitless.
No worries, it's a forum open to the Public.
Others will understand what was said. Have a good one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I certainly hope nobody comes to CPF for legal advice.
No, but some do recognize good advice based off of experience and knowledge when they hear it (or read it.) Others, not so much. Some are open-minded. Others, not so much. Some are willing to learn. Others just want to argue and pound their biased point of view home no matter what. In that way, CPF is a reflection of the world. Takes all kinds, I suppose. Again, have a good one.