Info. on old Surefire lamps

pro2

Newly Enlightened
It is approximately 2 1/2". The tailcap states SURE'FIRE ... LASER PRODUCTS FOUNTAIN VALLEY.CA and has a perforated rubber button

The "6" lamp in the clear plastic box has an identical tailcap, but the button is smooth.

The "6P" in the carboard box states the same as above with the perforated button, but also states 6P.

The other black lamp just states SUREFIRE USA WWW.SUREFIRE.COM like the green/grey anodized lamps. This light unscrews into three segments, I understand it was an earlier weapon lamp? It has a P60 "lamp assembly" installed.

... I haven't been able to find much info. on the specific profile of the military issued lamp in the photo. I've seen shorter ones with the fat body, but not thee cell variations. Also the teeth are not as aggressive on the bezel? The on/off tail cap seems to be unique? Also cannot seem to find anything on the pressure switch cap... the wire is fixed, and the cap is clearly marked SUREFIRE USA WWW.SUREFIRE.COM, but all the fixed cap variations are black, anything that is green/grey annodized looks like they can be unplugged.

pro2

Newly Enlightened
Well I suppose that's kinda my fault, you are right.

Have you taken a look at the SureFire Product history threat? (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?362227-SureFire-Product-History-Thread)

If you can identify some of your lights, there seems to be a lot of useful information there. Im sadly no expert myself.

Cool..thank you. Man, that is a lot to filter through. I located the MU tailcap switch, shows up in the 2002-2005 catalogues, which makes sense as it came with the weapon light in picture, along with the on/off pressure switch (installed as pictured, don't recall if it came on the light or not, but it was definitely acquired through supply during the same deployment). The variation of the lamp directly replicate anything in the catalogues from the era, but I'm guessing with the high demand for the lamps by Uncle Sugar in Iraq and Afghanistan, and the modular design of the lamps, some odd ball variations may have filtered into the battle field?

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome to CPF pro2!

The turbohead light is a 12ZM. I have one. It came with an N62 lamp assembly. 500 lumens for 12 minutes. If memory serves correct it was designed for 2 6 minute constant on uses. Lumens Factory makes a really good lamp for the 12ZM.

kelmo

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have accumulated some old Surefire lamps over the years, couple came from time in Army (recently retired), a couple from pawn shops ect..

The weapon light with mount came from an early deployment to Afghanistan. I thought it was cool and didn't use it because it was the only one in the arms room that had the aggressive teeth on the bezel.

Regarding the M3 lamp, I damaged the bezel shortly after I received it. I later replaced the bezel when I rediscovered the lamp in my gear multiple years later... the color doesn't match unfortunately.

Nice lights!

To build on what other members have already said:

The short black light at the top of your second photo consists of WeaponLight components. I'm not very well versed in WeaponLights so others may be able to confirm, but it looks like a Z32 bezel attached to an L60 body, then an A21 adapter and finally a Z41 TailCap. I believe this makes a model 650-00. Functionally this will be very similar to a 6P, with the exception of the shock isolated bezel (Z32). This would take a P60 or P61 Lamp Assembly for 65 or 120 lumens respectively.

The long black light below it is a 12Z (also referred to as 12ZM). Long since out of production and quite sought after. This one takes the N62 lamp assembly you have. Your 12Z/12ZM also appears to have the Short Rimmed TurboHead (SRTH). There were a couple of different options of T-series TurboHeads that these were supplied with. There's some good discussion on this thread.

Below this - I'll leave for others to comment as WeaponLights aren't something I can comment on very much.

Next down is an M3. Lamps for this are MN10 (125 lumens) or MN11 (225 lumens). As a note on your comment about the colour of the replacement bezel not matching - anodising was often quite significantly mis-matched between parts on the same light right out of the factory, so that's not unusual.

The two boxed lights below these are both 6Ps. The plastic box of the first one is labelled "6", but this was an earlier model (their first handheld light, also called 6C) - the packaging was carried over and used for the 6P for a period. This one is the earlier of the two 6Ps you have - also indicated by the smooth TailCap rubber boot. P60 and P61 Lamp Assemblies would be used here as well. The white battery shown with the first one is/was a DL223AC - a 6V battery with shock protection against recoil. These aren't offered any longer and you can use two regular SF123a/CR123a cells, as included with your other 6P.

As a further note, the TailCaps of all of these lights are interchangeable, but have slightly different operation. The Z48 on the WeaponLight is the only click on/off - the others are all "press for momentary, twist for constant on" - although the 650-00 and M3 have LockOut TailCaps (Z41) whereas the 6Ps and 12ZM do not (likely Z14). The Z41 is great for preventing the light being activated when being stored/transported - a particular concern when using the higher output Lamp Assemblies in these older models as the lexan lenses could melt.

I hope this helps - enjoy the lights!

thermal guy

Flashaholic
Absolutely! Lot of good information there.

Damn. Never saw that 6 volt battery before.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
So if what I'm seeing is right that 12Z is not meant to run for more then 3-5 minutes at a time? Another words not meant for constant on use? It sounds like that's a function of the batteries. Is that right?

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Yes I believe that thermal shutdown of the CR123 cell was part of the design of the 12's - the cells' internal PTC triggering irreversible shutdown, instead of the cell stack becoming depleted.
I'm imagining that development went in a different direction once questionable CR123's became more commonplace. :shrug: